• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pak In NZ Thread

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
Papps and Fulton will go to England. Thing that will go in Papps favour is that he can keep just in case Hart gets injured.

My squad to England:
Richardson, Fulton, Papps, McIntosh, Astle, Styris, Fleming, McMillan, Cairns, McCullum, Hart, Vettori, Bruce Martin (a bit of a surprise), Tuffey, Oram, Bond (if fit or Michael Mason) Butler.

Andre Adams can be on standby. McCullum would be my back up just in case. Jamie How might be on standby as well along with Nicol and Ryder.

Richardson, Astle, Fleming, Styris, McMillan, Tuffey, Vettori, Hart, Cairns, Oram and Bond (if fit) are the only certainies to go to England.

sorry to say but I disagree on several counts....

going by recent tours they will have 2 squads - a Test squad, & then several players to return home while others join for the ODI series.....

firstly they will not pick 3 'keepers for the Test squad in Papps, Hart & McCullum - me I'd pass on Robbie - sorry mate.......but in reality I think they will keep McCullum for ODIs for this season & see how he goes opening with Canterbury for this year.....

Also I don't think they will pick 2 left arm orthodox spinners ahead of Wiseman - even tho' I think B Martin is a call for the future.....

Mason has not been used in anything other than ODIs so I do not think they will take him initially, and I would not have him as cover for Bond - I'd look at Wilson or Adams......or even my old catch cry - Franklin.......

I don't think they will look to How with already having 4 potential openers in the squad with Richardson, Papps, McIntosh & McCullum........

I don't think there is enough middle order coverage in the squad - I think they will find a place for Vincent if for no other reason......

I also think that H Marshall should get a spot............Ryder will go for the ODIs........& I think Nichol may miss the Tour - however I'd want to have him in my squad because he can bowl medium / spin & perform a role like Katich / Lehman.....

On current form Cairns should not be in ANY NZ squad, however he will go to England........& his selection will be safe unless he gets injured / ill.........

Macca for me is borderline & if the selectors do not introduce new middle order blood v RSA then Macca will go because they are unlikely to take too many newbies on Tour with 4 already chosen in the party.......

For me the RSA series holds the key to the selector's thinking - I'd like to see changes made but we are unlikely to given that we have just lost a Home series to the then 7th ranked team, and we are now facing the 2nd ranked team.....

if they do ring the changes then they have bigger balls than I give them credit for, as nothing I have seen to date re this tour would indicate this for me..........

anzac

International Debutant
I missed the game again because of work........I wonder if this is going to be the pattern for this series as the only game I've been able to see is the Wednesday matches.......in which case Pakistan will win in Napier to level the series & then NZ win the last match next Saturday!!!!! :D :lol:

I thought Butler should have bowled on that pitch to day & Mills didn't look like a subtantially better option from what I saw.....

Cairns again 'failed' with the ball but blushes were saved when he wasn't required to bat - I agree with the commentator's summation at Queenstown that his game will come right when his bowling does........until then I'd sit him out.......

Cumming failed again - 0 from 8 now......

Fleming showed the maturity that was required to protect Marshall long enough for him to settle, and what a beautiful partnership it must have been to watch, with Marshall scoring another half century - 3 from 8 with one ton.....

short cameos from Styris & Macca to finish it off once the game had been won...

nice to see that Pakistani bowlers cop a bit of stick, with both Sami & Akhtar going for a few - even if Shoaib only went in his last overs - seems that when they bowl together they are not as successful as when they are apart??????

even tho the scribes are calling this Fleming's 2nd best ODI innings behind the WC V RSA, I'd still have to say that I'm disappointed we did not see anything different from the selectors re the batting lineup......

so far Cumming is 0-8 and what are they doing so far as any options / alternatives are concerned - nothing 0-8!!!! :!( :!(

:)

Last edited:

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
A crushing win

What a great win by New Zealand in the latest one-dayer. The hundred that Fleming made was a glowing example of the strides that he has made as a batsman in the last 2 years. It was a beautifully paced innings, and after putting emphasis on the top order and senior players to step up (basically a personal hurry-up) he did superbly. He is continuing to show that he can convert the 50's to the big score. Special mentions also must be made to Hamish Marshall, the young ND batsman. He looks very talented and must be earmarked as a future no.4 or 5 for us (he filled the gap left by Vincent). What else to add?

anzac

International Debutant
well the squad for Napier has been announced with Adams returning at Butler's expense.........and so far as the reasoning goes - what a crock of **** that is even if he does bowl back of a length compared to the Pakistani quicks.....

so Cumming & Cairns remain in the squad along with the other 'suspect' players in McMillan & possibly Vettori.........which means that the only question regarding the tema will be who bowls out of Mills & Adams....

so far as everything else is concerned it will be the same lineup as today's match - which also means that Cumming will partner Fleming to open......

Ok - I'll be the first to say it - so far this series I have to say I'm a tad disappointed in the impact of Bracewell (or lack of it)......

yes I know this is his 1st series in charge hands on - and only his 5th match, but his appointment was made b4 the Indian Tour so he's had plenty of time to view the players and judge their form etc............4 tests & a dozen ODIs...........

most disappointing for me are the selections - status quo so far as I'm concerned - the ONLY established player to have been 'dropped' so far as form goes has been Vincent - if that's going to be the extent of it then so far as I'm concerned he has been made the sacrificial lamb to back up the often referred to comments from Bracewell re picking players on fitness, form & committment to the cause etc.........from what I've seen to date this is all just good PR crap, as the continued presence of Cumming & Cairns refutes that statement IMO.......

it would appear that Cairns' does walk on water and will continue to be selected for NZ in either squad unless ill / injured.........

so far as I'm concerned while this happens then Bracewell's words will be just that, and NZ will continue to play with 10 against 11 on the park (also being a batsman / bowler short) until he gets his game together - if he does.....and some promising options with bat or ball in either Test or ODIs will continue to miss selection while the selectors play their waiting game...........

if this is the case re Cairns then it is even less likely that any other established player will be 'dropped' so long as they do not have a brain implosion - so Macca is safe as houses

I've already written this series off so far as seeing some pro-active selections etc, and I hold little hope for the RSA tour given the rankings situation as I've mentioned in an earlier post.........

this being the case then the squads to England will have a similar look to it regarding the current Test & ODI series v Pakistan, with Astle & Bond hopefully rejoining the squad........

bah humbug!!!!!!

:(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well its crazy...Adams also bowls short, Napier has short boundries square of the wicket so what are Bracewell and the other selectors thinking?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see that Jamie How scored 94 today opening for C.D against Northern Districts...

And also interesting to see that Chris Harris scored 70 off 48 balls, that type of batting form will definatley make the selectors think about picking him again.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
But to you honestly think he will or expect him to. I guess he is putting the results on the board, so I wont complain about him being recalled.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Harris can show that he can improve his strike-rate with the bat then I would think the selectors would have no problems selecting him again.

If you look at Harris over the last 2 years, he's stayed in, but batted at a very very slow rate & eventually thrown his wicket away because he can't force the pace.
If he can rectify that then I wouldn't have a problem seeing him back in the NZ colours.

His recent scores for Canterbury are encouraging, but it'll take more than a handful of innings to convince the selectors I believe.

anzac

International Debutant
but I think it's his bowling as much as anything that will get him selected!!!!

as I said earlier IMO we are lacking a slow bowler in the attack & Harris used to have that role - if he's making runs & taking wickets in both Championship & Shield games what more could the selectors ask for???????

the question is who makes way for him??????
Cairns - not going to happen......
Mills / Adams / Butler.....a possibility as that would still leave Cairns, Tuffey & Oram as seam bowlers, with Styris, Vettori & Harris as the remaining options.......
Cumming - Harris won't open so they could promote McCullum to open with Fleming......and then bat Harris ahead of Oram????

the last option is the one I feel they are most likely to look at and is probably the more logical, yet so far as the makeup of the team goes it is the one I like least as you then remove one batsman to make way for what is hoped to be a 3rd allrounder - and Cairns, Harris & Oram are likely to bat consecutively.....with only Oram with any current form at ODI level there is a recipe for catastrophe with the loss of a couple of quick wickets, with only Oram & Vettori remaining in the batting dept.....

anzac

International Debutant
some more bad news I'm afraid..........

I've remembered that the 5th ODI at Wellington is a Day / Night game, which means I will be home from work in time to see the end..........

so far the only game I have seen the close of NZ has lost!!!!

Kent

State 12th Man
Cumming retained? McLean Park used to be NZ's WACA, and they drop Butler? Anzac and Tim are right - Bracewell is already becoming the new 'Mitch'! Just as well our captain's not exactly a Rueben Thorne...

And what happens when Astle comes back? Marshall now looks our most ideal 15-40 overs man since Twose, meaning one of our middle-order mashers might have to go before the end of the summer (Fleming, 2nd opener, Astle, Marshall, Styris, ?, Oram, McCullum).

You could open with McCullum, but that would still put either Cairns or McMillan at #7 if you played both. Neither of which are really good enough bowlers to justify batting that low.

Kent

State 12th Man
Ashley Ross forbids us to go back to opening with Astle!

To be fair I kind of agree, given how often he leads with the front pad early on these days. A little bit of that 1st or 2nd over swing is probably something he can do without.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what i've read & heard, Astle won't be opening again for NZ because Ashley Ross believes Astle is better off coming in at 3...stats show that if Astle can bat out the first 5 overs of an ODI he can be very dangerous. Stats also show that he's gotten out alot of times in the first 5 overs, so it does make sense to me for him to bat at 3 from now on...providing Fleming has a decent opener at the other end who can survive those first 5 overs.

What happens to Marshall I don't know....Marshall at #4, Styris at #5, McMillan #6, Oram #7, McCullum #8?..or open with McCullum & open #8 for another all-rounder or bowler?

I wouldn't exactly be so sure on McMillan at the moment though..he needs to score some more runs before i'd put him down as a definate.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it'll be ok Anzac...Napier is one of New Zealand's happier hunting grounds, although India won there last year.
Vettori seemed to be bowling well again & hopefully the other batsmen feed off the good batting by Fleming & Marshall.

FRAZ

International Captain
I told a Macedonian friend of mine who doesnt even know cricket to put money for 5-0 in pakistan's favour when NZ went there last month . He won a considerable amount , Now I told him 3-2 in favour of Pakistan. Lets see whats gonna happen now.

Craig

World Traveller
Ashley Ross is a absolute idiot no two ways about it.

What relevances does this stat have? He's made 12 of the the 13 ODI 100s there and plus over 500 runs, so wouldnt be logically to think he is more effective opening?

Who is the coach Ashley Ross or John Bracewell?

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
Ashley Ross is a absolute idiot no two ways about it.

What relevances does this stat have? He's made 12 of the the 13 ODI 100s there and plus over 500 runs, so wouldnt be logically to think he is more effective opening?

Who is the coach Ashley Ross or John Bracewell?

didn't we go thru all this around the WC or post WC or something????? who ever came up with the stat has managed to convince the selectors that it's relevant........

and Ashley Ross has had NO credibility since the TVS Cup selections with Harris batting at No4????, let alone the debacle of the Pakistan ODI series where the batting lineup never changed for any of the 5 match series...........

but isn't this all a bit irrelevant????? didn't someone say here that Astle has basically flagged ODIs away because of his injury to his knee, that he will no longer bowl and will only play in Tests?????

:(

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
I think it'll be ok Anzac...Napier is one of New Zealand's happier hunting grounds, although India won there last year.
Vettori seemed to be bowling well again & hopefully the other batsmen feed off the good batting by Fleming & Marshall.

Oram's 'Home" ground - be loverly to see him take to the Pakistani bowlers.......

mind you thinking about it the mind boggles at what Razzaq is likely to do if he gets to bat!!!!!!