• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NP Cricket Simulator: Updated Version (16-04-2020)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
One thing which would really assist analysis would be to print scorecards in sequence order when you sim a series or multiple matches after each other.

So start with saving to card1.htm, if it exists try card2.htm, etc.

From today's testing, Wankhede works reasonably well in assisting the spinners (they consistently come out on top), but the scores are amazingly high there. Low control bowlers struggle ridiculously at Edgbaston (40 wides) - though especially if the batsmen can't bat, for some reason. Edgbaston may also be difficult to bat on but still gives decent totals (though that may be because my testing teams have proper batsmen down to 11)

Interestingly, it appears that if you put worse batsmen at the top of the order, they struggle a lot more than they would if you stick them at six.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think the wides problem is related to length. When you set it to bowl on off stump, it seems to mean pitching it on off, rather than it reaching the stumps on off. Thus if you're bowling short, it ends up angling down the leg side. Couldn't this be changed? Seems a little irrational to be like this, if I'm right in thinking it is.

Also, I think wides are probably because the movement on pitches is probably a bit too much atm, though I don't know, obviously. Neil, didn't you have a program which showed visually what happened with each ball on certain pitch settings? Couldn't you experiment with that to find out the realistic parameters?

Another thing is that it's a bit hard to experiment as it stands, as the commentary seems to contradict itself. It'll say things like "... full of a length, on the stumps, left alone, wicketkeeper takes it easily" or something - if it's full and on the stumps... wouldn't he be bowled? Have lowered bounce to make doubly sure it's not going over the top, same commentary occurs, there are other examples as well where it can contradict itself.

Pretty playable still just from my little experiment just now, good work.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think the wides problem is related to length. When you set it to bowl on off stump, it seems to mean pitching it on off, rather than it reaching the stumps on off. Thus if you're bowling short, it ends up angling down the leg side. Couldn't this be changed? Seems a little irrational to be like this, if I'm right in thinking it is.

Also, I think wides are probably because the movement on pitches is probably a bit too much atm, though I don't know, obviously. Neil, didn't you have a program which showed visually what happened with each ball on certain pitch settings? Couldn't you experiment with that to find out the realistic parameters?

Another thing is that it's a bit hard to experiment as it stands, as the commentary seems to contradict itself. It'll say things like "... full of a length, on the stumps, left alone, wicketkeeper takes it easily" or something - if it's full and on the stumps... wouldn't he be bowled? Have lowered bounce to make doubly sure it's not going over the top, same commentary occurs, there are other examples as well where it can contradict itself.

Pretty playable still just from my little experiment just now, good work.
The reason it runs like this is because of the way the match engine deploys swing and spin: the location the ball pitches is essential to the batsman's conception of line and length, leading to judgement, misjudgement, play-and-misses and nicks.

Having said that, keepers get less than half as many catches as outfielders. Needs changing: will also sort the 'wides' issue that appears most when there is a weak batsman on a bowler's track.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lots of updates, as requested. A few extra grounds added - of which Lord's probably gives the best, balanced cricket as it's a fair track. Also have tweaked the bowling AI heavily regarding line, length and bowling changes. The stats file shows the latest round of testing - if you ignore the fact that Craig Cumming is topping the bowling averages after 8 overs in 75 games, then it's all awesome (also, Kamran Akmal has gone on one of his crazily good batting runs...)

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Clarke just bowled the last over of a T20 match against West Indies and took 1-1-0-1. Fairish enough, given that Ian Bradshaw faced 5 of the balls and Ramdin was out to the other. But then Australia needed 8 off the final over to win and Brad Hogg only managed 2 against Chris Gayle. Hmmm...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
More tweaking - very happy with how it's playing now: more feedback would be really appreciated, as would any data updates (looking for the right balance between bat and ball, swing and seam - the pitch really counts) or requests for changes, additions, or where we try to go next. I've simmed nearly 2,300 games in the last two days...

I've attached the latest version, and a card/bbb from a thrilling low-scorer between England and Sri Lanka at Exeter...

Attachments

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Just had a quick match at the Basin. Having the top order bat aggressively seemed to initiate away, throwing wicket of. Oram and Vincent on a lower aggression through the middle overs worked well. Don't think there's too much wrong with it - nothing that I noticed anyway. Also, bowling full and on the stumps (i.e. yorkers) worked very well in the death overs.

Attachments

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Updated again - byes significantly reduced for about the ninth time.

Also had a play with the front end tonight - can now see Hawkeye plots of the over (be gentle) and player profiles through right-clicking the player names on the team selection page.

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Just got whipped by 140 runs by Australia.

Seems pretty regulation, except that at one point I'd slipped to 160odd for 8 from about 25 overs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Australia 326 all out... South Africa 89 all out in reply... hmmm... McGrath and Hogg each took 3-3.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
Played a ripper of a match.
Twenty20 between Australia and England. England needed 2 off the last over annd Brett Lee bowled a wicket maiden.

tocg

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
www.theonlinecricketgame.com

Not sure if it has or not... looks like it might have been. Seemed like there were some good ideas in here.

Try The Online Cricket Game which is similar (and should work for you Mac folks).

All input / feedback / help welcome,
Cheers
tocg

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Neil is this game still in any form of development? What you consider releasing the source code? What language was it written in?

Cheers