• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fiery said:
Plonker isn't an insult, more of a ribbing like "wally". Don't take offence to that. Anyway, I'll do a poll to see.
Well youre not going to get a true outcome. Just say there are... 50 Australians, thats still another 19, 999,950 people who you hasnt taken the poll...

Fiery

Banned
benchmark00 said:
Well youre not going to get a true outcome. Just say there are... 50 Australians, thats still another 19, 999,950 people who you hasnt taken the poll...
Making excuses for being proven wrong already?

Scallywag

Banned
Fiery said:
Making excuses for being proven wrong already?
I dont think you know much about Australia when you ask what is our national sport but even though its a cricket forum you will be shocked at the response.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fiery said:
Who said anything about most played. We're talking about what is the national game which is about popularity not how many people play it ya plonker
Hate to tell you, but cricket comes a very poor fourth behind the football codes.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Problem for Australia is that more Australian schools have basketball than cricket as their summer sport as teachers dont have to spend as much time on that sport.

BTW, I would not be admitting that Rugby is NZ's national sport at the moment :p
Why not? We're #1 in the world.

social

Voltman said:
Why not? We're #1 in the world.
Until the World Cup comes around and then it's .......CHOKE :D

And I'll be relying on you to do the same when Im in Auckland os 3/9/2005

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Until the World Cup comes around and then it's .......CHOKE :D

And I'll be relying on you to do the same when Im in Auckland os 3/9/2005
I'm not quite sure what you mean - we've only choked in one World Cup - that was 1999. Long time ago now.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And your message refers to "at the moment" - the last World Cup was almost a year and a half ago. A lot has changed, if you actually kept up with rugby.

benchmark00

Voltman said:
And your message refers to "at the moment" - the last World Cup was almost a year and a half ago. A lot has changed, if you actually kept up with rugby.
But didnt yous finished 3rd in the tri-nations?;) haha dis-regard my comments, i know bugger all about rugby, i just like following it, you would now heaps more than me!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
But didnt yous finished 3rd in the tri-nations?;) haha dis-regard my comments, i know bugger all about rugby, i just like following it, you would now heaps more than me!
That would be an understatement...

LongHopCassidy,

So you planned the 2003 farce!
Match fixer!

I don't consider THAT semi at 2003 a choke - we hadn't been that convincing in the tournament aside from the quarter against SA, and with our makeshift centre, Leon McDonald, up against the hard-running Mortlock, it was always going to make matters interesting. Tie in the fact our game plan seemed to be based around counterattacking on kick returns, and very little on basic, no-frills forward play, and the loss was not as much of a surprise, or a choke, as some might think. Australia played very very well considering their resources.

But I digress...

Last edited:

Mister Wright

benchmark00 said:
Personal insults, classy. Well arent we talking about the scope of people Australia have to choose from for our sports?... besides, if we're talking most supported, then Aussies Rules by a loooooooong way, a long long way, 50,000 (varying) spectators for every game on a weekend (8)... cricket doesnt even compare, Rugby League would be next, then rugby union, a first class game in Australia get a crowd of 100 people, so again, your opinions are false.
Oh come on! It is more than just the crowds. The Gabba sells out everytime there is an Australian team playing, be it test or One Day, domestic has nothing to do about it. How many people talk about the Australian Aussie Rules Team - zero! Because there isn't one. I think more people around Australia would care if Ricky Ponting was seriously injured then say a Nathan Buckley or Micheal Voss.

benchmark00

Mister Wright said:
Oh come on! It is more than just the crowds. The Gabba sells out everytime there is an Australian team playing, be it test or One Day, domestic has nothing to do about it. How many people talk about the Australian Aussie Rules Team - zero! Because there isn't one. I think more people around Australia would care if Ricky Ponting was seriously injured then say a Nathan Buckley or Micheal Voss.
That doesnt reflect the true standing though, if you said, who would Brisbane Lions fans care more about being injured Voss or Ponting, then i think the answer would be Voss...

social

The All Blacks have been the most talented team in world rugby for several years and have precious little to show for it.

Although as an Australian this should be sacrilegious of me, I backed you Kiwis to win the last WC as I thought you were good enough, we werent, and I could not bear the thought of the Poms holding bill aloft.

Unfortunately, some of your players werent aware enough to adopt plan b - if they had such a thing. How such players of such talent relied on tactics of their coach above all else is beyond me.

In any event, that is past and AUs and Kiwis werent good enough.

However, having said that, the fact that you are now rated no. 1 despite not doing anything since the WC is a mystery to all.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
The All Blacks have been the most talented team in world rugby for several years and have precious little to show for it.

Although as an Australian this should be sacrilegious of me, I backed you Kiwis to win the last WC as I thought you were good enough, we werent, and I could not bear the thought of the Poms holding bill aloft.

Unfortunately, some of your players werent aware enough to adopt plan b - if they had such a thing. How such players of such talent relied on tactics of their coach above all else is beyond me.

In any event, that is past and AUs and Kiwis werent good enough.

However, having said that, the fact that you are now rated no. 1 despite not doing anything since the WC is a mystery to all.
It's more a matter of what we haven't done - which is lose. A loss to Australia and a loss to South Africa is all we have to show on the negative side of the ledger.

Mister Wright

benchmark00 said:
That doesnt reflect the true standing though, if you said, who would Brisbane Lions fans care more about being injured Voss or Ponting, then i think the answer would be Voss...
That is just Brisbane, not Australia. That also doesn't count the A.F.L. fans who are also cricket fans, they could very well care more if Ponting is injured.

benchmark00

Mister Wright said:
That is just Brisbane, not Australia. That also doesn't count the A.F.L. fans who are also cricket fans, they could very well care more if Ponting is injured.
Yes but if you ask a knagaroos supporter, who do you care more about (injury wise) Voss or Ponting, ofcourse theyre going to say ponting, but if you relate it to the side they follow, then AFL would take precedence i think you will find.

Mister Wright

benchmark00 said:
Yes but if you ask a knagaroos supporter, who do you care more about (injury wise) Voss or Ponting, ofcourse theyre going to say ponting, but if you relate it to the side they follow, then AFL would take precedence i think you will find.
Thanks Sherlock.

benchmark00

Mister Wright said:
Thanks Sherlock.
Well your first point is just irrelevant then! and im glad you agree, because it backs up my point that AFL is more popular, which is all i care about.