• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Champions Throphy: well we only got knocked out of the tornment cus of D/L, who to say we wouldn't of beat England if it wasn't for the rain. Considering Sangakkara was at the crease when the game was called off, im pretty confident we still would of won that game. Also the Kiwis got knocked out at the same stage.
You could say that we only got knocked out at that stage because we were in Australia's group

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
Yep one call goes against Australia. Man they have it tough.
Three, actually. There were only three disputable umpiring decisions in the match (Lee's first over LBW, Kasprowicz' hat-trick LBW and the Symonds catch) and all of them went against Australia.

I don't particularly care or think the umpires are conspiring to help New Zealand or anything, but given the recent hysteria about the issue it's worth noting that things go both ways and always have.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
NikhilN said:
It would have been fun to see ponting bowl..
No it wouldnt. Finishing an innings with a non-bowler would be one of the most arrogant things to do on a cricket field. It would take even more integrity away from a horribly one-sided series.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Three, actually. There were only three disputable umpiring decisions in the match (Lee's first over LBW, Kasprowicz' hat-trick LBW and the Symonds catch) and all of them went against Australia.

I don't particularly care or think the umpires are conspiring to help New Zealand or anything, but given the recent hysteria about the issue it's worth noting that things go both ways and always have.
Sorry. I should rephrase that: "Australia have one game go against them". Happy? :p
Considering the number of games that go for Australia its nothing to complain about. Especially since those decisions meant nothing in the context of the game.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Sri Lanka aren't as bad as people think they are away from the home. If u look at their last 50 matches 22 were played away from Asia. In those matches they won 13 games (which is 60%) not too bad is it. If u take out matches aganist Zimabwe it is still over 50%. In conditions foriegn to New Zealand (asia) they only won 7 out of the last 19 games. That a great record isn't even whose then Sri Lanka's record away from dust bowls.

Also that series that New Zealand won in Sri Lanka (18 Months ago), in the matches aganist each other they both won one game. Also Sri Lanka only missed out on the final cus of that stupid bounus point system.

Champions Throphy: well we only got knocked out of the tornment cus of D/L, who to say we wouldn't of beat England if it wasn't for the rain. Considering Sangakkara was at the crease when the game was called off, im pretty confident we still would of won that game. Also the Kiwis got knocked out at the same stage.
As a Sri Lankan, I am not so sure about that !! :D :D

This duscussion as to whether SL or NZ is superior is IMO pointless at this stage, because it does not matter !!

Which of the Team is better at Test level will be soon clear when they play the Test series in April .

I only feel sorry for Flem because, this poor series may have affected his chance of being selected for the World XI for the October's super series (Australia v World XI) !!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Somerset said:
Hamish Marshall run out. Lazy running from supposedly one of the best runners.
Was it just me or was Marshall trying to run himself out today? The number of times he would have been run out with a direct hit was ridiculous

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
Sorry. I should rephrase that: "Australia have one game go against them". Happy? :p
Considering the number of games that go for Australia its nothing to complain about. Especially since those decisions meant nothing in the context of the game.
I think the decisions even out over a long period of time, I was simply re-enforcing that point.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Ummm what? Its always been said that NZ lift their game against Australia, I've read it on this board many times. Now suddenly people are saying that NZ are mentally weak against Australia, that's my point. What that has to do with me being in the Aussie team I have no idea.
I think that used to be true. We used to have worse sides than our current one that would step up to the challenge and give their guts out for the team.

Now we have a better team but instead of stepping up we get intimidated by them. Since the great 2002 vb series we have been thrashed by the Aussies in nearly every game weve played. The only exceptions were the first game in the Chappell-Hadlee series and the first game this series (really we were thrashed in the second C-H game, it was only Mills' hitting that made it close)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think the decisions even out over a long period of time, I was simply re-enforcing that point.
I think the decisions generally even out with every team except Australia. They still seem to get a huge number in their favour.
Anyway enough about the umpiring.
Lets concentrate on more pressing issues like...why are there no decent bowlers in NZ?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia racking up nearly 350 against the 2nd best OD side in the world... not looking good for the rest is it....

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Australia racking up nearly 350 against the 2nd best OD side in the world... not looking good for the rest is it....
Third best now according to all those that don't support New Zealand Mr. Agemaster. ;)

Still, it was a good pitch and with Canning (debut), Hamilton (2nd ODI), Cumming (first bowl in an ODI in NZ), Mills and McMillan having to bowl 40 overs between them, it was always going to be a high scoring innings.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Kiwis have been using some strategies far too long, even when proven useless. The bowlers know zilch about line and length (and many would agree on that), but have got away with bowling rubbish on minefields called cricket pitches, where the ball does a lot. For a very long time. Besides, they're all medium-pace, and they would struggle in less favourable conditions. Moreover, some bowling performances that would not be called match-winning by any means are still considered 'good'!

Their batting has never developed since they've played on such pitches for far too long. Their biggest worry has to be opening the batting- they've picked and dropped several promising openers and have repeatedly opened with misfits from the middle-order, wo have neither the technique nor the big-hitting ability.

Injuries to key players in larger numbers so frequently raises doubts about not only what the team's physio and fitness trainer do, but also about the attitude of the players towards fitness. How often do you see so many Australian lynchpins injured at the same time? At the same time, some selections are just plain ridiculous- a medium-pacer with a dodgy action and no-ball-six-balls, a streaky middle-order bat opening, a keeper-stand-up medium-pacer who can bat a bit and no more- how can a team win with so much dry weight?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
The Kiwis have been using some strategies far too long, even when proven useless. The bowlers know zilch about line and length (and many would agree on that), but have got away with bowling rubbish on minefields called cricket pitches, where the ball does a lot. For a very long time. Besides, they're all medium-pace, and they would struggle in less favourable conditions. Moreover, some bowling performances that would not be called match-winning by any means are still considered 'good'!

Their batting has never developed since they've played on such pitches for far too long. Their biggest worry has to be opening the batting- they've picked and dropped several promising openers and have repeatedly opened with misfits from the middle-order, wo have neither the technique nor the big-hitting ability.

Injuries to key players in larger numbers so frequently raises doubts about not only what the team's physio and fitness trainer do, but also about the attitude of the players towards fitness. How often do you see so many Australian lynchpins injured at the same time? At the same time, some selections are just plain ridiculous- a medium-pacer with a dodgy action and no-ball-six-balls, a streaky middle-order bat opening, a keeper-stand-up medium-pacer who can bat a bit and no more- how can a team win with so much dry weight?
The man makes a good point

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LongHopCassidy said:
Every time I've seen Gilchrist bat at 6 he seems to make a big score and inspire his partner.
Only once has Gilchrist come in at 6 and the score not already be 300!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ming said:
I can't believe how Vettori can go for 30-odd from 10, and the team still concedes over 340.
Amazing isn't it, especially as he's a finger-spinner which some people think means he's useless and will never keep it below 4.5!

It reminds me of that England-India game where Harbhajan had something like 2-19 off 10, but England made 320+!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Amazing isn't it, especially as he's a finger-spinner which some people think means he's useless and will never keep it below 4.5!

It reminds me of that England-India game where Harbhajan had something like 2-19 off 10, but England made 320+!
They see off one bowler without giving away a wicket, but go after the other bowlers for lots of runs.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:

u can't be good with only one decent player