• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Frost

U19 Debutant
Sorry but in what universe is Southee a better ODI bowling option than Henry? And you can't say in Asian after Henry was about our best pace bowler in both white ball formats in Pakistan and has been superb in all forms in the last 18 months or so.
Yea, I actually agree. I'm a massive Henry fan and I think should probably get the spot. I just have a feeling he's going to be hard done by

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry but in what universe is Southee a better ODI bowling option than Henry? And you can't say in Asian after Henry was about our best pace bowler in both white ball formats in Pakistan and has been superb in all forms in the last 18 months or so.
No universe.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
With KW likely to miss the first few games of the WC, what XI are they gonna go with?

Conway
Young
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Sodhi
Henry
Ferguson
Boult

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
With KW likely to miss the first few games of the WC, what XI are they gonna go with?

Conway
Young
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Sodhi
Henry
Ferguson
Boult
I would hazard a guess everyone would remain in their usual positions rather than bumping up one, so we may see the assassin at 3.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would hazard a guess everyone would remain in their usual positions rather than bumping up one, so we may see the assassin at 3.
Mitchell did really well at 3 when he filled in there - much better than he's been at 4 actually - and I don't really trust Chapman's technique up that high.

Santner to bat 3 again? ;)

NZTailender

Mitchell did really well at 3 when he filled in there - much better than he's been at 4 actually - and I don't really trust Chapman's technique up that high.

Santner to bat 3 again? ;)
Young to bat 3 and then Ish "the shark" Sodhi to pinch hit open and devour the opposition

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So there's no point playing any of the non-World Cup players for the next two ODIs, right? Especially given hardly any of our 1st choice XI are going to Bangladesh.

So it should be Conway Young (insert non WC player here, probably Nicholls) Mitchell Latham Phillips Ravindra Santner Boult Henry Southee. Ferguson surely isn't in our best XI, Jamieson isn't going either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So there's no point playing any of the non-World Cup players for the next two ODIs, right? Especially given hardly any of our 1st choice XI are going to Bangladesh.

So it should be Conway Young (insert non WC player here, probably Nicholls) Mitchell Latham Phillips Ravindra Santner Boult Henry Southee. Ferguson surely isn't in our best XI, Jamieson isn't going either.
Yeah agree with this.

Nicholls will probably be called up if Kane doesn't actually make it so it makes sense it'd be him. Allen the other option I guess but it makes more sense to give Young a proper run in the position he's actually going to bat.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agree with this.

Nicholls will probably be called up if Kane doesn't actually make it so it makes sense it'd be him. Allen the other option I guess but it makes more sense to give Young a proper run in the position he's actually going to bat.
Yep. And it makes sense to have a similar scoring player at 3 (in terms of run rate) rather than a slogger like Allen.

Having said what I said before, Ferguson does need another ODI in this series. Maybe on a bouncey Oval deck if it's provided

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep. And it makes sense to have a similar scoring player at 3 (in terms of run rate) rather than a slogger like Allen.

Having said what I said before, Ferguson does need another ODI in this series. Maybe on a bouncey Oval deck if it's provided
Yeah if Allen played he'd have to open and Young would have to bat 3. And I think it's good to get Young facing the brand new ball.

Ferguson should play another game, yeah. He's in the WC squad so that doesn't really contradict what you said. Maybe they'll move Rachin or Santner up to 3 for a game to play an extra bowler without messing with the order of the rest of the top 6.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Ide move Phillips to 3 for one game if KW isn't fit. Chapman can bat 6 and santner 7/rachin 7 santner 8 depending on how the selectors go. Phillips is the only guy on there who's made big list A runs at 3 domestically and can move without shifting everyone else. Ide also like to see Mitchell get some overs between now and the WC in England and bang. If he can give you even 4 overs and Kane is fit you should be able to sneak 10 between him, Phillips and Mitchell with rachin/neeshaw at 7 and santner at 8.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not Ravindra to the opening spot and Young at 3?

Ravindra
Conway
Young
Mitchell
Latham
Philips
Chapman/Neesham
Santner
3rd bowler
Southee
Boult

The batting line-up is deeper and the team also gets 6+ bowlers

NZTailender

Ravindra is new and batting out of spot and probably will so for the remainder of the WC at least. Don't see them giving him a gig in his preferred spot for sometime and will continue to develop him as some kind of late order all rounder. I mean I think he should open but I don't see NZC giving him a chance if they want him to do a very specific role at 7 in the WC.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not Ravindra to the opening spot and Young at 3?

Ravindra
Conway
Young
Mitchell
Latham
Philips
Chapman/Neesham
Santner
3rd bowler
Southee
Boult

The batting line-up is deeper and the team also gets 6+ bowlers
I want young facing the new ball and coming in as early as possible. Don't rate his game vs spin as much. I was thinking rachin at 3, but I want phillips up their for the ability to go and slam the pacers around in the PP early if they lose a quick wicket more than I want rachin up their.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Ide move Phillips to 3 for one game if KW isn't fit. Chapman can bat 6 and santner 7/rachin 7 santner 8 depending on how the selectors go. Phillips is the only guy on there who's made big list A runs at 3 domestically and can move without shifting everyone else. Ide also like to see Mitchell get some overs between now and the WC in England and bang. If he can give you even 4 overs and Kane is fit you should be able to sneak 10 between him, Phillips and Mitchell with rachin/neeshaw at 7 and santner at 8.
everytime someone says neeshaw i can't help but burst into chuckles it sounds funny asf