• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in West Indies, AUG 10 to 21, 2022

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole series strategy has been bizarre with no official explanation. I guess he's resting ahead of the ODI's?
All anyone in the media - including Cricinfo - wants to talk about is the missing big name players.

Yeah sure it's annoying that Russell and Narine don't want to play and Lewis can't get himself fit, but there are still better players to select in the top order than Brooks, Thomas and Holder even without those guys available.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
All anyone in the media - including Cricinfo - wants to talk about is the missing big name players.

Yeah sure it's annoying that Russell and Narine don't want to play and Lewis can't get himself fit, but there are still better players to select in the top order than Brooks, Thomas and Holder even without those guys available.
1000%. I said it in another thread, but white ball selection since Dessie became Chair of Selectors has been atrocious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha Santner having a hit at 3 again. I thought that was reserved for the meme game against Netherlands they made him captain for - maybe it shows what NZ think of this WI lineup. ;)

Moss

Haha Santner having a hit at 3 again. I thought that was reserved for the meme game against Netherlands they made him captain for - maybe it shows what NZ think of this WI lineup. ;)
CSK did give him a hit at 3 too in a couple of IPL games, was a flop IIRC. I’d be pretty cheesed off if I was Allen.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!

There’s Leroy Lugg and John Campbell outta Jamaica who are better batsmen than Brooks

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There’s Leroy Lugg and John Campbell outta Jamaica who are better batsmen than Brooks
Campbell has absolutely no T20 record to speak of (ten games, averages 11 and strikes at 80) so as much as even he probably has more upside than Brooks we can probably find better options. Hemraj, Rutherford and Chase spring to mind. Hell I'd probably think about recalling Charles or Fletcher given how close the WC is - it'd certainly make more sense than picking Brooks or Thomas again.

Moss

Much better bowling effort from the Windies. NZ pretty pedestrian today when finally up against some decent bowling, with the exception of Phillips.

thundaboult

International Debutant
lol southee, how much u guys wanna bet that southee still plays all 3 odis in place of henry and sears doesn't get a game? why is boult being rested anyways? rest southee ffs

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
Fantastic from King, he is a quality t20 batter. Akeal has always been quality too. Joseph will be useful with his pace in Aus. Odean has been really good this series. Mccoy and Drakes are good left arm options as well. Windies have the options to field a quality team, and even more so when the franchise guys start putting their name in the hat. I'd like to think that this match here today is also a reality check for us. Funny how the windies decide to field a few proven t20 performers and we go missing.

nzfan

Got a bit too over confident today. Why would you bat Santner at no. 3 when you have someone like Bracewell who's a top order batsman if you want to counter left arm spin? Besides it's not like Kane can't play spin. We have such a long batting line up and Santner shouldn't be batting any higher than 8.

Credit to West Indies though, they bowled quite well and now they're batting well. They're a good watch when they play well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are we doing this? Do we really think this is a bonafide strategy for a World Cup in two months?

What that does is move Bracewell to 8, and plays 3 spinners which we know is never going to be the strategy for Australian decks. I get that you want to win the game you're playing, but is Santner at 3 and three spinners the go? I doubt it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
OK, so it's a wearing/old pitch, they want to play 3 spinners. Fair enough. Hate the Santner at 3 thing though, I can't remember a time we threw someone up and it ended up being a viable solution.

nzfan

I'm not quite sure why Kane wouldn't bowl out Bracewell earlier. Looks like our math skills is a bit off today. Lockie bowled out by 16th over and Santner bowled out by the 13th.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Were they hoping we'd bowl them out? Weird bowling maths like NZfan said. Neesham will possibly come on and bowl half an over, unles they get the runs from Bracewell

nzfan

Totally forgot Jimmy, Darryl and Phillips can all bowl. Kane uses then so sparingly can't even remember these guys bowl.

All in all reasonable outing. Expected West Indies to be much more competitive than win a solitary game.

The first game wasn't all that close. Second west indies didn't even arrive. The third we got smashed quite comfortably.

Lot of good things for us. Conway has looked in good touch, Phillips was outstanding, Darryl quite good too and Kane showed he's got it still in this format. Neesham has plenty to offer.

Lockie and Santner solid as usual, Bracewell surprisingly has been very good and continued good form with the ball. Southee is a bit of a worry. Guptill didn't look his old self. Don't want to write him off but likely he's going to be done this summer.