• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Craig

World Traveller
What about just sticking with Cumming and Papps for the time being and maybe just maybe they will both produce.
Can't think of too many teams that changes more openers then New Zealand. I remember when Nathan Astle's playing days I was thinking of the guys who haven't with Astle.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can't think of too many teams that changes more openers then New Zealand. I remember when Nathan Astle's playing days I was thinking othe guys who haven't with Astle.
Haha, yeah. Same goes with Richardson when he was around. IIRC he and Vincent actually did okay as an opening pair.

Fiery

Banned
What about just sticking with Cumming and Papps for the time being and maybe just maybe they will both produce.
Papps just isn't up to it. Most players of his stature have quick hands, a quick eye and good footwork. Papps looks all at sea at this level and needs to be dropped like a hot spud. Unfortunately, Bracewell will probably stick with him in his pig-headed way, just to spite everyone...as he does

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH if I had as good a domestic season as Papps had I'd expect to get a pretty healthy run (at least 2 series) before considered for dropping.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Papps just isn't up to it. Most players of his stature have quick hands, a quick eye and good footwork. Papps looks all at sea at this level and needs to be dropped like a hot spud. Unfortunately, Bracewell will probably stick with him in his pig-headed way, just to spite everyone...as he does
Agreed . The problem is that if he is retained for the BAngladesh series he might do well against an average attack. And then we are stuck with him for a while..

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It would depend on the time, he could be fast asleep, watching NZ on his 1000000000 inch TV or playing cricket. :ph34r:

What time's it in NZ btw?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Who opened with Richardson again? I can't even remember.
IIRC Sinclair, Vincent, Fleming, Cumming and Papps did.

A more accurate list: Horne, Spearman, Bell, Papps, Vincent, Fleming, Sinclair & Parore.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ah, Spearman. The biggest shot in the foot to NZ cricket in God knows how long, I'd have to say. Imagine if we stuck with him?