• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Pakistan

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Big disagree on that extremely ridiculous last post.

Why bother wasting Sami & Ahktar when the game is already in the bag? NZ are resting Tuffey through this series with the home series against Pakistan in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan do the same now that the series is won.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I think sami and shoaib should be playing the rest of the games in this series as sami is still learing and needs to learn alot yet in this game.....on the other hand shoaib just came back from his suspension and he might need a couple of games to get back into form before going to NZ.

dsk

Cricket Spectator
Marshall looks a very good player. Inzi probably did let him score that hundred (by bowling partimers), but he deserved it.
I think Shoaib will play the rest, but they'll probably give Sami a break

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
This tour was also about discovering the ability of 2nd tier players or at least giving them some experience...why the hell they thought Harris needed time in the middle is way beyond me.

Hell if these players haven't been regulars in the 'A' squad or whatever then we are probably looking at closer to the 3rd tier!!!!!

I would have thought the primary objective of this squad would have been to address the major issues of the 'normal' team as I mentioned in my earlier posts - re opening bat & seam attack esp at 'the death'.

The only 'logic' I can see to Harris being selected & batting at 5 is that they either still consider him to be NZ's answer to Bevan, or that this is his swan song and they don't really care to address the issues re the 'normal' team.

:duh:

anzac

International Debutant
I have just seen the 'probable' lineup for the 4th game today......

Oram to be given a late fitness test & is bracketed with Walker. The rest of the team appears about the same as it was for the 3rd match, with no change to the batting (Jones & Cumming to open), bowling (Mason & Walmsley), and Harris sloted in at no5!!!!!

Is there anything wrong with Hitchcock following the 2nd ODI????
Canning appears to be on the outer - thanx for coming son........

If NZ loose the toss and have to chase again I predict a similar debacle to matches 2 & 3!!!

:!(

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
NZ are resting Tuffey through this series with the home series against Pakistan in mind.

if their intention is to rest Tuffey then why take him at all?????? Hell I'd rather see another 'prospect' given the opportunity rather than have Tuffey sit on the sidelines and only play 1 match.

:(

anzac

International Debutant
it just occured to me that there is the very real probability that several of these players were selected when not fully fit!!!! Hitchcock, Oram, Tuffey????::duh:

yet again it appears as if NZ perserveres in carrying players in a squad whose game time may be restricted for the duration of the tour. :!(

this is in contradiction to Bracewell's comments re his vision & philosophy for the team, and would also appear to have scant regard for the outcomes of this tour, both in results on the pitch and in trying to resolve the weaknesses in the 'normal' ODI side.

:!(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say so far from this tour, Marshall & Mason have probably pushed for ODI spots in the NZ home series v Pakistan.
I think Cumming should be given another go as an opener in NZ, he has played some good shots but looked a little overawed by the pace of Sami & Ahktar.

Jones just bats far too slowly for ODI cricket, but has looked solid at least. Sinclair looks his usual self and he'd be lucky to make NZ 'A' even at the moment.
Walker looks ok, but I don't think he'll make the team ahead of Cairns, Oram, Mills or Adams.
The jury is still out on Canning, but he looked a little out of his depth.

Choora

State Regular
dsk said:
Marshall looks a very good player. Inzi probably did let him score that hundred (by bowling partimers), but he deserved it.
I think Shoaib will play the rest, but they'll probably give Sami a break

As far as break is concerned, no one deserve it more than Razzak!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there are positives from this series..The 1st & 3rd ODI's, at least NZ stayed competitive in those matches & with the 2nd ODI they were well & truly outplayed in that match.

The top 5 batsmen have put at least one good score on the board so far in the 3 ODI's except Cumming, so it's better than all of them consistently failing. And as far as the bowling goes, up until the 40th over in each ODI the bowling has been pretty good.
This tour was good in the end, we've found out out how good a couple of players are and how un-suited some players are to ODI's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well once again NZ have started poorly.

Craig Cumming got a 50/50 lbw decision from Shoaib...it looked to be going down the leg-side, so the luck really hasn't gone his way on this tour.

Sinclair just looked crap, & no surprise that he was out lbw.

Jones, well...really the desperation showed that he just cannot accelerate his innings quickly enough & took a suicidal 2nd run off Shoaib's arm.

And to top it all off, Harris comes in ahead of Cairns & McCullum.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this tour will be a success if NZ find just 1 good top order batsman & it appears we have.

If NZ had not toured Pakistan or if they had taken a full-strength team..the chances of Marshall playing were almost zero& therefore we would have never known his ability.

New Zealand desperately need a #3, although I think Marshall is more suited to #4...and Styris likewise shouldn't bat at #3, so once again there is a bit of selection issue.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Argh, 49/4..Marshall is out, I guess there are alot of expectations for him to score runs now. But I think if he wants to end a successful tour he needs to get another good score in the last ODI.

I think the element of surprise from this team is well gone & we're starting to see which players have the potential to last at international level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I think there are positives from this series..The 1st & 3rd ODI's, at least NZ stayed competitive in those matches
Sorry Tim, but can you define competitive?

That 3rd ODI looks very one sided to me. NZ were out of it very early in their innings!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Marc, again...you're not even watching these matches so I can't see how you can make an accurate judgement.

It may look like NZ were well beaten, but there was every chance NZ could have gotten close to that target had they shown a little more aggression...At one stage they could have been easily bowled out for 150, but Marshall batted well...NZ just needed someone like Cairns down the other end hitting some boundaries.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Marc, again...you're not even watching these matches so I can't see how you can make an accurate judgement.

It may look like NZ were well beaten, but there was every chance NZ could have gotten close to that target had they shown a little more aggression...At one stage they could have been easily bowled out for 150, but Marshall batted well...NZ just needed someone like Cairns down the other end hitting some boundaries.
After 20 overs, they needed 240 more - what side can score at 8 an over for 30 overs without being bowled out?

After 30 overs they needed nearly 200 more.

No matter which way you look at it, NZ were nowhere near the game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You needed 199 off 19 overs!

Pakistan were in Cruise Control!

There was not a snowball's chance in hell you were ever going to win that... I mean it was still 51 runs in the end even after the last 3 overs went for 35 through the fact that non-bowlers were on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Next we'll be told that NZ competed in the 4th match because it took Pakistan over 40 overs to reach their target!