• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure most of you realise my post was in jest. But i'm sure it's crossed Bracewells mind

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I'm sure most of you realise my post was in jest. But i'm sure it's crossed Bracewells mind
I'm sure Braces is the future, older version of Vettori. I mean, not in that they are both spinners, but that they are a bit of a psycho disguised as someone civil. Vettori, unlike Fleming, will turn into a psycho captain. You hear it here first.

Whereas Fleming governs with "old mates don't drop him mantra", Vettori will govern with a "if you're not good enough, get out of my team" attitude.

I also think that Braces agrees well with Vettori, that will explain why Flem is prematurely retired as captain and now leaving prematurely a team with no batsmen.

99*

International Debutant
I'm sure Braces is the future, older version of Vettori. I mean, not in that they are both spinners, but that they are a bit of a psycho disguised as someone civil. Vettori, unlike Fleming, will turn into a psycho captain. You hear it here first.

Whereas Fleming governs with "old mates don't drop him mantra", Vettori will govern with a "if you're not good enough, get out of my team" attitude.

I also think that Braces agrees well with Vettori, that will explain why Flem is prematurely retired as captain and now leaving prematurely a team with no batsmen.
What's wrong with that? I would like to see a captain that demands the best from his players, and if they aren't good enough then Vettori or Braces remove them from the team. And once Vettori gets the team he believes works, then he'll be able to win more games and series.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest I can't see New Zealand winning any of the matches but I think a 1-0 scoreline is a possibility. Will depend on the pitches and weather obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome. Am maybe a tad too optimistic. :p

New Zealand should have the upper hand in the ODIs though I still think England will win at least two of the matches.

So 3-2 to New Zealand in the ODIs, and 1-0 to England in the test series.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Will reserve judgements on the test series, in regards to form, selection and injuries, but am confident NZ will win the ODI series.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I'll believe that Southee is the key. If he can provide the penetration with swing conditions to suit, add his bowling with Mills and Martin, we have a lethal combo of bowlers who won't leak runs. Add Oram's 4th seam option and Southee's big hitting before Martin comes to the crease, we have a decent bowling allrounder setup.

Throughout the NZ summer one gets the feeling that we're always one seamer short. Elliot proved that to us in the 3rd test.

Bowling attack -----> batting

1. Martin
2. Mills
3. Southee
4. Oram
5. Vettori as our spinner (damn, no room for Patel?)
6. McCullum wk
7. Taylor
8. ----
9. ----
10. ----
11. How (opener)

One day team:
1. Ryder (be fit) - or if anyone in the test batting come through like Taylor did in the home series
2. McCullum
3. Jamie How
4. Taylor
5. Oram
6. Vettori
7. Daniel Flynn - ease him in
8. Southee
9. Mills
10. Patel
11. Martin

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
He's ironically our biggest asset in the one day game. Also his injury rule outs meant we lost the two 20 20s.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Our biggest asset in a one-day game as a bowler. As a batsman, his one-day game is well below his test abilities. Look at his effort in the tied game at Napier. A genuine number 6 would have got us home.

NZTailender

The fact he's been tried and failed up the order in ODI's over a relatively long career should indicate it shouldn't happen again.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Getting very muddled between this thread and the other thread with the same Vettori analysis theme... :wacko:

So where should he bat?

Name me your ODI lineup batting order... put ---- if you want another batsman but don't know who. I had Daniel Flynn at 7 to ease him in, and if he looks okay move him to 6.

NZTailender

Number 8, where he averages 19 and has scored all 3 of his fifties, and would be most effective.

NZTailender

My ODI side fully fit:

1. Ryder
2. McCullum+
3. How
4. Fulton
5. Taylor
6. Styris
7. Oram
8. Vettori*
9. Franklin
10. Mills
11. Patel/Martin (pitch depending).

IMO.

Edit: keep forgetting Styris still plays ODI's.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My ODI side fully fit:

1. Ryder
2. McCullum+
3. How
4. Fulton
5. Taylor
6. Broom
7. Oram
8. Vettori*
9. Franklin
10. Mills
11. Patel/Martin (pitch depending).

IMO.
I wouldn't totally hate that team, although (as you probably also agree) that 6 slot is very much open. I like Vettori at 8 more than anywhere.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
If Fulton is injured, and Southee makes a compelling case for inclusion in the ODI side? Franklin is not available for the whole tour it seems.

So take them out... and you have to have a winning ODI side with what we've got.

Flem274*

123/5
This will be an intriging series. On the NZ front I reckon our bowlers will knock the poms over cheaply a few times. I also think we'll see some good individual performances by batsmen. I genuinely believe we have the talent for the future. The batting in this series will continue to be inconsistent as our newbies begin to find their feet at test level.

I think we have a decent chance of at least drawing one. I hope we can win a game if the raw talent I believe our side has clicks into gear. England will win this series but their batsmen will have to work hard for runs against our bowlers.

I predict if either side suffers major injuries they're toast. We simply can't afford injuries atm and England don't have a huge amount of depth, especially in the bowling department. Of course their top side is far superior to ours atm.

Seriously hope Flintoff doesn't play a game from a kiwi perspective. If he does I hope he's undercooked. He and Sidebottom in tandem balance out the rubbishness of Anderson.

Leslie WRT Vettori you're talking crap. You sound like the critics of Fleming when he was captain a few year ago when they suggested he wouldn't make the side if he wasn't captain.

Flem274*

123/5
ODI side

McCullum
How
Ryder
Taylor
Fulton
Styris
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee/Mason
Patel

The middle order is a bit too cluttered due to having three openers. Still stronger than Englands ODI line up though.