• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Adams really is bowling with some pace which is good to see. He is also looks like a basketball player with that sweatband around his head.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't seem to be much of a game in the end - Bangladesh all out for 86. Mills took 4 with skipper Vettori taking 3-9.

Once again, Bangladesh's batting is their big weak point.

Mingster

State Regular
Craig McMillan - and you blame us for criticising you? Stupid shot. Stupid innings.

Chris Harris - you are past your expiry date, sure you have been great in the past, but your batting is seriously letting you down these days. Apparently he is being seen more as "batsman who can bowl", and today he demonstrated again why his batting is just simply not upto batting upto 7 or 8 in ODIs anymore. Commentators keep hyping on how he is "great at finding gaps", but that has not been the case for many years. He keeps playing around his pad and blocking, when rotating the strike was crucially needed.

Mingster

State Regular
My Latest (:D) ODI XI against Australia:

1 Fleming (c), 2 Astle, 3 Marshall, 4 Styris, 5 Sinclair/Fulton, 6 Cairns, 7 McCullum, 8 Oram, 9 Vettori, 10 Adams, 11 Franklin

Sure Mills got 4 wickets, but most of them wasn't through great bowling. Adams I feel offers more, and has improved vastly after his stint on the county scene. McMillan shouldn't been on the ODI squad for the VB series, Sinclair or Fulton should fill the number 5 spot in the lineup. At this stage I'm favouring Sinclair, he's got a good ability to just nudge the ball around during the middle stages of an innings.

Mingster

State Regular
bryce said:
please show me where i said he doesn't flight the ball ? by comparing him to brooke walker i meant that he will always be a good domestic bowler but inaffective at international level.
You said it on the "Best left arm spinner thread". Stupid comment from you. You said he bowls too flat, and similar to the way Walker bowls. How do you know he will be ineffective on the international arena? Have you ever actually seen him bowl in FC cricket? Because one-dayers doesn't count, unless you don't know, many spinners bowl flatter and faster in the shorter version of the game.

it's not like mcmillan opening would be a long term solution since he is not even going to australia, just to fit him in somewhere and maybe give him some confidence for the domestic season and possibly make it back into the national side via good form.
And how will chucking him in at opening give him confidence? 8-)

bryce

International Regular
out of all the bowlers the only one i thought bowled paticularly well was 'stud' styris but i missed the batting because i had cricket practice, i agree with that side mingster and think fleming has to open in ODI's but maybe not tests and at position 5(sinclair/fulton) and position 10(adams/mills/butler) there are a few question marks so i think just to play the form players in those two positions(if any :wacko: ).

bryce

International Regular
Mingster said:
You said it on the "Best left arm spinner thread". Stupid comment from you. You said he bowls too flat, and similar to the way Walker bowls. How do you know he will be ineffective on the international arena? Have you ever actually seen him bowl in FC cricket? Because one-dayers doesn't count, unless you don't know, many spinners bowl flatter and faster in the shorter version of the game.
again please check the thread and find out i did not say he bowls too flat and i clarified what i meant by the walker thing in earlier posts in this thread and can't be bothered going over it again because of your ignorance........ again i mentioned in earlier posts i have seen him bowl in first class games every year as a matter a fact since he has been playing FC cricket and once again in earlier threads i said it was just my personal opinion that he would not do well in internationals.
jeez everything i said in that post is in other threads around the forum, guess this ones been made just for you.

Mingster said:
And how will chucking him in at opening give him confidence? 8-)
i just thought maybe he might of been able to get some runs against the 'weak' bowling of bangladesh, guess i fell into the same trap as the new zealand team by underestimating their attack.

Mingster

State Regular
Sinclair can play 5. He played particularly well that in the State Shield Final, just nudging the ball around for 1s and 2s. I believe we need a genuine batsman at 5, not another allrounder.

Mingster

State Regular
Have you been taught punctuation and how to spell yet? Or do they not teach that at primary school these days?

Oops, maybe you can read it better if I wrote it like this:

"hve u ben tght puntution 'n hw 2 spl yt?"

:lol:

bryce

International Regular
haha that reminds me of this old man on the old cricketgames forum whose only comebacks were criticising spelling and punctuatation, ironically enough his username was dta.
but back to your query, where are my spelling mistakes?(not saying there are not any they just do not catch my immediate eye) and the only circumstance that should prompt you to complain about my spelling and grammar is if you do not understand what i'm talking about or saying which i do not think happens in the above post, i will be the first to admit i am slack with the caps but a few other people on this forum are aswell and no one cares to argue about it because most of us understand this site is about cricket discussion not spelling and grammar.

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
My Latest (:D) ODI XI against Australia:

1 Fleming (c), 2 Astle, 3 Marshall, 4 Styris, 5 Sinclair/Fulton, 6 Cairns, 7 McCullum, 8 Oram, 9 Vettori, 10 Adams, 11 Franklin

Sure Mills got 4 wickets, but most of them wasn't through great bowling. Adams I feel offers more, and has improved vastly after his stint on the county scene. McMillan shouldn't been on the ODI squad for the VB series, Sinclair or Fulton should fill the number 5 spot in the lineup. At this stage I'm favouring Sinclair, he's got a good ability to just nudge the ball around during the middle stages of an innings.
looks a good starting lineup - plenty of batting depth & 7 bowling options....

however I think Adams & Franklin will need to outperform Mills in the remaining 2 ODIs to start ahead of him in AUS.............
how was Adams bowling - from memory he used to be back of a length like Butler - and what sort of pace??????

if Sinclair is still unfit for game 2 I'd still like to see them swap Macca & Fulton around...........I admit I am a bit concerned that we may have some genuine class batters for the #3 & 4 spots but we are stuffing them up by batting them out of position - as per Vincent...........

oh yes add Vincent to my earlier post re middle order candidates........

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
Craig McMillan - and you blame us for criticising you? Stupid shot. Stupid innings.

Chris Harris - you are past your expiry date, sure you have been great in the past, but your batting is seriously letting you down these days. Apparently he is being seen more as "batsman who can bowl", and today he demonstrated again why his batting is just simply not upto batting upto 7 or 8 in ODIs anymore. Commentators keep hyping on how he is "great at finding gaps", but that has not been the case for many years. He keeps playing around his pad and blocking, when rotating the strike was crucially needed.
last time I saw Harris do anything with the bat was probably in the 2002 VB series..........b4 that would have been in the WC in IND...............

I think it was an ICC Tourney where Bond & Mills took to Warne (for a little while), but that series was memorable for me for Harris' inability to find the gaps or rotate the strike...........his batting has basically been substandard since IMO...........

likewise his bowling has been about as useful.................apart from when he is on slow / low pitches that suit him - otherwise forget it...........

anzac

International Debutant
just a quick comment re spinners bowling flat - didn't the commentators make the same sort of comparisson between Vettori & Boje in the Home RSA series?????????

in that Boje was bowling flatter & quicker than Vettori & this was better on the less responsive tracks.............?????????

Mingster

State Regular
bryce said:
i will be the first to admit i am slack with the caps but a few other people on this forum are aswell and no one cares to argue about it because most of us understand this site is about cricket discussion not spelling and grammar.

Who? I don't think I have seen any other 10 year olds without using caps and proper grammar. Oh well.

Mingster

State Regular
Jeez, and if you are going to criticise someone, have some subltelty, rather than calling somebody "a stanky ass".

Bruce Martin does not bowl too defensively, and his record shows that.

And since you have such an ineffective short-term memory, here is the "evidence":

bryce said:
bruce martin bowls way too defensively which is not what you want from a test spinner
And what do you mean by defensively? Bowling too flat? Bowling the wrong lines? He has been the best domestic spinner in the country for a few years now, so obviously he isn't bowling too defensively.

And Anzac, Adams was bowling at a good pace, definitely faster than Mills or Cairns.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't know where this idea came from that Bruce Martin bowls too flat. From what I have seen he gives the ball a lot of air.

Marshall didn't look too great on that slow pitch. Actually no one did part from Styris and Cairns. McMillan was no surprise, he got out trying to run the ball to 3rd man, and almost got out sweeping - he obviously hasn't learnt anything.

The winner on the day was definitely Chris Cairns' beard.

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
And Anzac, Adams was bowling at a good pace, definitely faster than Mills or Cairns.

a viable option over Butler - how about for the Tests what was his length like???????

bryce

International Regular
Mingster said:
And since you have such an ineffective short-term memory, here is the "evidence":

And what do you mean by defensively? Bowling too flat? Bowling the wrong lines? He has been the best domestic spinner in the country for a few years now, so obviously he isn't bowling too defensively.
no i just don't think his type of bowling would be effective at international level , just my opinion no one said you have to agree with it.
i also noted in another post that there is a big difference between bowling in new zealand's domestic competition and international level(even you could work that out) and that whilst he is very effective at domestic level i do not think he would be effective at international level, again just my opinion and no one is forcing you to agree with it.
and as a matter of fact bruce martin has not always been as flash as you say,

Shell Trophy 1999/00: 47 wickets@21.99
Shell Trophy 2000/01: 15 wickets@47.93
State Championship 2001/02: 17 wickets@29.88
State Chapionship 2002/03: 13 wickets@43.15
State Championship 2003/04: 22 wickets@27.81

seems he goes good season, bad season etc.

bryce

International Regular
Mingster said:
Jeez, and if you are going to criticise someone, have some subltelty, rather than calling somebody "a stanky ass".
thanks for the advice, your the best.