• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Greg Hay can't even get into the CD side at the moment, god knows how he would get selected in the National side.

My team would be:

Guptill
McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Styris/Broom
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Boult/Arnel/Patel

As long as Gillespie doesnt play, i'm happy.
Worked for Krezja and Hauritz TBH

pup11

International Coach
New Zealand could really test Australia, even more than the current South African side, New Zealand are a very competitive ODI side and Australia can't afford to make the kind of mistakes they have made so far against the Saffies, because they won't get away with making such mistakes against New Zealand, so if the Aussies don't bring their "A" game against the Blacks Caps, then they might even get upstaged in this series by the Black Caps, but if both sides play to their potential then i can see Australia winning this series, by either a margin of 4-1 or 3-2.

Redbacks

International Captain
Australia just have to bowl first, doesn't matter how many we make NZ usually chase them down:(

Polo23

International Debutant
Not sure Boult is the best bet yet. Not everyone is Tim Southee unfortunately.
I think it is too early for Boult. But who would you rather have? (don't say Gillespie). Boult seems one of the only quick bowlers we have with some sort of serious potential.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson's a mixed bag really. Theoretically I expect him to be hammered to all parts because his radar is always off and that extra pace is handy for the batsman to just use the pace, but somehow at times he pulls off quite decent figures. He's kinda like a left handed Gillespie with more luck and pace.

With our bowlers under the dosh this is a perfect opportunity for NZ to grab a sneak win, but definitely the big four Guptill, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum have to step up and really take it to the bowlers, especially the senior guys like Bracken and Johnson.
:laugh:

Polo23

International Debutant
I can see NZ winning this series in a canter..hell, we did it in 2007, and that was against a much stronger Australian team.

pasag

RTDAS
I can see NZ winning this series in a canter..hell, we did it in 2007, and that was against a much stronger Australian team.
What a horrible series :(

Don't think you guys are as strong in batting or bowling though as 07.

jondavluc

State Regular
Not really we didn't have Symonds nor Clarke nor Ricky nor Brett lee nor Gilly.

Nz teams is also awful at the moment and have struggled to beat the west indies and bangaladesh even had beat them in a one day match.While I think they will give us a bit more of a better fight than in the test series I can't see them beating us.

pasag

RTDAS
Johnson's a mixed bag really. Theoretically I expect him to be hammered to all parts because his radar is always off and that extra pace is handy for the batsman to just use the pace, but somehow at times he pulls off quite decent figures. He's kinda like a left handed Gillespie with more luck and pace.

With our bowlers under the dosh this is a perfect opportunity for NZ to grab a sneak win, but definitely the big four Guptill, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum have to step up and really take it to the bowlers, especially the senior guys like Bracken and Johnson.
How much have you watched him in ODIs? Don't mix up the two formats, he's been superb for ages in limited overs cricket. He doesn't just pull off good figures through luck, he does it through great bowling that's quite difficult to score off at times (whereas in Tests he can just be left, the difficult angle he presents makes him a lot better in ODIs - see when he pwned the Indians in India for example).

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think you guys are as strong in batting or bowling though as 07.
Yeah, that may be right.

Although IIRC we were missing both Bond and Vettori for the last two games (but, those were the 300+ games of course).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How much have you watched him in ODIs? Don't mix up the two formats, he's been superb for ages in limited overs cricket. He doesn't just pull off good figures through luck, he does it through great bowling that's quite difficult to score off at times (whereas in Tests he can just be left, the difficult angle he presents makes him a lot better in ODIs - see when he pwned the Indians in India for example).
Johnson only takez wicketz with **** ballz lolz.

Seriously though, the guy could just about take all 30 available wickets in the next 3 ODIs against SA and people would still find reason to critisize him.

Honestly surprised at how easily people in this thread have ignored the threat he presents in ODI cricket.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah its silly to suggest that Johnson is a bad bowler in limited overs cricket, even if don't take his recent test form into account, Johnson has been consistently Australia best bowler in ODI and T20 cricket, and as Clapo said this whole Johnson gets his wickets of **** balls and due to luck theory is getting pretty annoying now.

Polo23

International Debutant
Not really we didn't have Symonds nor Clarke nor Ricky nor Brett lee nor Gilly.

Nz teams is also awful at the moment and have struggled to beat the west indies and bangaladesh even had beat them in a one day match.While I think they will give us a bit more of a better fight than in the test series I can't see them beating us.
Disagree this NZ team is awful, maybe in test matches, but not ODI cricket. We were off the pace against Bangladesh, but still managed to win the series 2-1 (remember, Sri Lanka just seriously struggled to put them away also). We were easily the better team against the West Indies, in all the games that were rained out we looked on course for victory. We also smashed England 3-1 home and away with this team.

Not to mention New Zealand ALWAYS play their best cricket against Australia. We could definitely win this Chappell/Hadlee series.