• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
you take 9 wickets in the first test of a series and get dropped in the third
I mean it's not even just this. I can think of some weird situations where this might be appropriate, but when you've got a good series record despite your team getting absolutely pumped, when three of the other bowlers who have played the first two Tests are injured, and when your dropping means all three of Henry, Somerville and Astle all have to play in Australia - as their first Test of the series - it's a whole other level of absolutely ****ed.

I actually think he has been more or less rested. With everything else going on with the injuries/illnesses/dead rubber/smashings etc I think the brains trust just kinda gave up and/or stopped caring about the result of this Test and gave him a break. if it was only 1-0 and Williamson and Nicholls weren't sick I bet he'd be playing.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually think he has been more or less rested. With everything else going with the injuries/illnesses/dead rubber/smashings etc I think the brains trust just kinda gave up and/or stopped caring about the result of this Test and gave him a break. if it was only 1-0 and Williamson and Nicholls weren't sick I bet he'd be playing.
Eh maybe it was just poorly communicated. That interview with the physio on Day 1 couldn't have clouded the issue more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Eh maybe it was just poorly communicated. That interview with the physio on Day 1 couldn't have clouded the issue more.
I mean whether they said he was dropped or was rested because they dgaf about this game it was going to be controversial either way, so they gave a Bob Cunis of an answer.

They should've just lied and said he was injured.

Gnske

I mean whether they said he was dropped or was rested because they dgaf about this game it was going to be controversial either way, so they gave a Bob Cunis of an answer.

They should've just lied and said he was injured.
Haha yes! I was thinking maybe lying was a better way. Is rotation of the quicks and workload management still that controversial an issue though?

Meridio

International Regular
Ah, the umpires actually are paying attention. Commentators having a whinge about it but he's been doing it blatantly all day.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha yes! I was thinking maybe lying was a better way. Is rotation of the quicks and workload management still that controversial an issue though?
I think it still is if it happens in Tests, especially given NZ don't play as many as Australia/England where it's become a more accepted fact of life.

You only have to go back to the discussion on Fox on the first morning when they were assuming he'd been rested (which i still think is more or less what happened).

I think the fact that that were kind of resigned to not winning this game definitely played its part, and that's not something they would've wanted to say out loud. I can definitely imagine the selectors thinking "**** it, no point Southee playing in this" after Kane fell to illness.

ajdude

International Coach
was just in the process of typing that paine’s gonna declare with marnus equal with hammond’s record

Meridio

International Regular
Declaration's a bit earlier than I was expecting, don't think we'll get through the rest of the day.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess there probably wasn't time for the rest of the batting to get their eye in, but I think I would've batted on. Meh, this pitch doing some weird things anyway.

mr_mister

Actually plenty of time to win it for NZ. If they go at 3 an over and are still batting tomorrow evening voila

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't PEWS libertarian? Isn't that like pro anarchy or something ie shouldn't be banning people for jokes
[political offtopic post]
That's not really how it works. This forum is privately owned; libertarians believe James or his delegates and can set and enforce whatever crazy rules they like. We just don't believe in the initiation of force on peaceful people or their property.
[/political offtopic post]

There might be something to this in spirit though; his last ten infractions/warnings have come from people other than me and I haven't give him one since before I became an anarchist. Know your enemy, Gnske.