• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
apparently channel 7 saw southee giving raval an absolute spray and having to be dragged away by management or something. no footage has emerged and no one is reporting on it.
This incident falls under the NZ media Southee embargo and should never be mentioned or referred to again.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone please explain why Southee is known to be a dick?

Him trying to kill one of our bats earlier in the series was no doubt abject. But apart from that I can't recall anything heinous, although I swear he was part of that mass bullying of Faf in 2011 World Cup.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ah okay. I more just based it on him always seeming to be smiling. And maybe his laid back attitude toward batting
He’s more like the guy who is always smiling and chill because he thinks he doesn’t have to try (to bowl fast or bat time) because if anyone questions him he’ll just give them a wedgie and then go chat up some chix

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
All of this makes sense now, Southee dropped because of non cricketing reasons but don't want to go public with it. Otherwise it is a baffling decision to sit him out.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah this seems the dropping a relatively straightforward disciplinary action if true. Explains a lot.

Spark

Global Moderator
He’s more like the guy who is always smiling and chill because he thinks he doesn’t have to try (to bowl fast or bat time) because if anyone questions him he’ll just give them a wedgie and then go chat up some chix
Wasn't Southee rumoured as trying to join the mile high club with a air stewardess early in his career?

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
All of this makes sense now, Southee dropped not because of non cricketing reasons but don't want to go public with it. Otherwise it is a baffling decision to sit him out.
I don't think was baffling to drop him though. He was barely hitting 120kmh last test. As poor as this series has been, you can't have a senior player coasting like that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah this seems the dropping a relatively straightforward disciplinary action if true. Explains a lot.
The incident in question apparently occured during this Test though. You can't drop someone for something that hasn't happened yet.

Gnske

Which one of you plebeians is Ray

Ray: "Get ready for another gazelle-leaping, air-punching, badge-kissing display by D.Warner. Downhill skier extraordinaire, there is no better person to have in your opening pair when you've got a huge first innings lead in a home test!"

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think was baffling to drop him though. He was barely hitting 120kmh last test. As poor as this series has been, you can't have a senior player coasting like that.
You absolutely totally can when your backup options are Tastle and Henry. Southee took 9 wickets in the first Test ffs. This isn't a situation where we suddenly bring in Hazlewood or some total gun when Southee/Boult are out of form, our backup STINK. Southee and Boult could run in at 110 and they'd still be our two best new ball options. Our 3rd best is CDG and he does run in at 110.

Gnske

Yeah I think it all alludes to something behind the scenes. I know the disappointment with Southee is pretty perpetual, but you take 9 wickets in the first test of a series and get dropped in the third, there has to be more than meets the eye when you're a senior player. And he was only at his typical roof of ineffectiveness when he is completely ineffective in Melbourne, nothing outrageous.

thierry henry

International Coach
Wasn't Southee rumoured as trying to join the mile high club with a air stewardess early in his career?
Yep. Actually that may be the only solid example I can think of for his reputation, but by all accounts it sort of exemplifies his personality generally.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You absolutely totally can when your backup options are Tastle and Henry. Southee took 9 wickets in the first Test ffs. This isn't a situation where we suddenly bring in Hazlewood or some total gun when Southee/Boult are out of form, our backup STINK. Southee and Boult could run in at 110 and they'd still be our two best new ball options. Our 3rd best is CDG and he does run in at 110.
I wish our fast bowlers could run in at 110 kph