• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
For someone I think should be close to the NZ test side, Shipley has bowled a bit of crap in his opening 6 overs this morning to concede 37 runs. Though some of the boundaries were streaky behind square on the offside in true Hamish Rutherford style.

thundaboult

International Debutant
For ten points, who will be the next random 30-32 year-old called into the New Zealand cricket team?

Bruce
Schmulian
Solia
Kelly
Bowes
McConchie
Randell
Hampton
R O'Donnell
Van Beek

place ur bets now
neither

bowes for t20 if held at gunpoint

I'd pick clarkson personally but he's an infant

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bright and breezy 25 from Glenn Phillips before nicking out. Looks a million bucks before doing something silly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bright and breezy 25 from Glenn Phillips before nicking out. Looks a million bucks before doing something silly.
Exactly why I wouldn't pick him now. As much as this is CW meme territory, I don't feel like he's earned a Test spot with the way he's trying to play the way he's playing, without the weight of runs to suggest it's something that will work for any period of time at Test level. It's not enough to pick him on the basis of the guys ahead of him aren't scoring enough runs, he has to be scoring them to take their spot or we're just re-arranging deck chairs.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I can understand the attitude. Apparently having an excellent first-class record is no longer considered important by the selectors. So Phillips might as well just hit out. Either he Harry Brookses it and it comes off, or it doesn’t - in which case nothing has changed (except his batting average, which apparently doesn’t matter).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I can understand the attitude. Apparently having an excellent first-class record is no longer considered important by the selectors. So Phillips might as well just hit out. Either he Harry Brookses it and it comes off, or it doesn’t - in which case nothing has changed (except his batting average, which apparently doesn’t matter).
I guess their argument would be that whilst his average is good (using 40+ as a benchmark for good), they would like a higher weight of runs to knock the door down. His last FC hundred was when? Highest score of 73 last year, 61 this year, 92 the year before (Plunket Shield, that is).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess their argument would be that whilst his average is good (using 40+ as a benchmark for good), they would like a higher weight of runs to knock the door down. His last FC hundred was when? Highest score of 73 last year, 61 this year, 92 the year before (Plunket Shield, that is).
Made a 100 in the last county season before the tests vs England

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The disappointing aspect of this knock from Phillips, is the pitch is very flat. He had a great opportunity to score a run a ball hundred, without much effort. Foxcroft isn't playing a risky innings at all and is striking at just under 100. Phillips didn't need to try and hit a six an over. He could have comfortably built a very big partnership by just playing in a moderated fashion.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
For ten points, who will be the next random 30-32 year-old called into the New Zealand cricket team?

Bruce
Schmulian
Solia
Kelly
Bowes
McConchie
Randell
Hampton
R O'Donnell edit: doesn't qualify as not 30
Van Beek

place ur bets now
Randell.

Although he's not in that age group, yet.

I think he could, probably should, get a go at some point as they try to solve the 3rd/4th seamer puzzle. Not that hes bowling 3rd seamer anymore.

nzfan

Actually, it got better for Santner. A maiden FC 5-fer.
Wooo hooo... long time coming. To be fair he's got some lovely dip going it feels like. His batting has gone through the roof. I've barely seen him fail with the bat since like a year. Chances of a comeback to test cricket? I wouldn't write him off, he could be handy.

nzfan

He did score a hundred in county cricket in the winter. A PS hundred likely 3 years ago? GP has changed the technique again. This time around the bat is grounded at the release like Martin Crowe or any of the players from the 80s. Wonder what made him change that? He will be better off the front foot obviously with the change in technique but there will be other areas that may have been working for him very well so far come off short. Time will tell... GP changes technique every year. Even mid-way through the season or series.

nzfan

Bruce
Schmulian
Solia
Kelly
Bowes
McConchie
Randell
Hampton
R O'Donnell edit: doesn't qualify as not 30
Van Beek

place ur bets now
Probably all of them in couple of years time. Our batting cupboard is quite bare at the moment. Barring Phillips, Ravindra, Foxcroft don't see much coming our way. I shudder to think how we will look in 5 years time. Everyone of the above will get a go in my opinion.

Popli is not in the list? Why not? He'll probably score 2 hundreds in 2 innings this match.

nzfan

Gareth Severin looked very good and a composed lad. Still quite young I'd think and he looks like someone that will play for a long time. Definitely not a stop gap for Wellington. So glad to see the youngsters given a go. Firebirds may not win much but they are slowly and surely building good bench strength. Troy Johnson, Tim Robinson and Nick Greenwood are fine batsmen too. Eventually it will make a very good side and some to go on to play for black caps (when they get to 30 that is or after Stead moves on ). The only short coming is there are no bowlers coming through. There was Hartshorn but hasn't been used of late. Need to find some faster bowlers.