• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

ataraxia

International Coach
correcting his List A record of 25 wkts at 57.32 quite nicely. From NZC:
  • HB Shipley: First Player to take a Hattrick for Canterbury Kings in a List A Match. Also the First Hattrick taken against Wellington Firebirds in a List A Match
This partnership could well develop, RRR fairly low.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Very pleased to see Shipley do well, though I think he's a test prospect for NZ but not a real white-ball prospect - 130k medium pace on a good length gets murdered at international level.

Though, I guess it's possible to be surprised... Sam Curran's success with the ball in the T20 WC shows it's possible even if you don't tick all the right boxes.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Just checking the scores I see there is a NZ Development XI playing the A sides this week. Seems a good idea to get these guys playing at a reasonable standard early in the season. McKenzie (who has played for the Akl Blues) seems to get a lot of hundreds at a fast rate. Hopefully cricket can hang onto him. Looks like the Development XI bowling got taken to by Parkes and Kindley. Not sure why Abbas didn't bowl. @Kippax are you familiar with many of these guys.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good news for the white ball comps in general, particularly if the Black Caps are going to be unavailable for a reasonable portion of them. Good to have a world class player and legend of the game to raise the bar.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just checking the scores I see there is a NZ Development XI playing the A sides this week. Seems a good idea to get these guys playing at a reasonable standard early in the season. McKenzie (who has played for the Akl Blues) seems to get a lot of hundreds at a fast rate. Hopefully cricket can hang onto him. Looks like the Development XI bowling got taken to by Parkes and Kindley. Not sure why Abbas didn't bowl. @Kippax are you familiar with many of these guys.

That is an insane level of talent when you are a capped Blues player, and churn out hundreds at that level.

I don't know if it's ever been a thing before, but in Jacob Cumming and Ollie White...I don't want to be a prick about it, but it seems like both have got a reasonably long way so far on surname without actually revealing too much bonafide in the stats column. 15 FC innings with a highest score of 37 for Cumming and White playing for NZ Development based on 90 against Japan U19...

ataraxia

International Coach
I don't know if it's ever been a thing before, but in Jacob Cumming and Ollie White...I don't want to be a prick about it, but it seems like both have got a reasonably long way so far on surname without actually revealing too much bonafide in the stats column. 15 FC innings with a highest score of 37 for Cumming and White playing for NZ Development based on 90 against Japan U19...
With Cumming: he's 18, and playing for a side that isn't exactly strong on batting. And averages 24, and strikes at 32. Genuinely not bad opening the batting in PS imo. To consistently get a team off to solid starts is amazing IMO - like, it would be great if he had a score, but as it stands he's getting experience while contributing to the team quite significantly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
With Cumming: he's 18, and playing for a side that isn't exactly strong on batting. And averages 24, and strikes at 32. Genuinely not bad opening the batting in PS imo. To consistently get a team off to solid starts is amazing IMO - like, it would be great if he had a score, but as it stands he's getting experience while contributing to the team quite significantly.
Yeah, I felt a bit dirty saying it, and good luck to Otago for investing in the future. Hopefully he turns those mini starts into something bigger soon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well scoring double that against the samme oppo has got Bhula a plenty long rope, so...

DavidUK

Cricket Spectator
I've watched the entire first four Otago Plunket Shield games via YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed them. These are my observations regarding the Otago side. The batting is generally weak which is underlined by the top two in the batting averages so far are both bowlers with Gibson on 43 and Rippon on 39. Obviously it doesn't help when your star batsman is averaging single figures!

There are however some bright spots. The boy Cumming looks a fabulous player with a great technique, and I would say a dead cert to play Test cricket and probably quite a lot of it. Yes he often gets out after looking good and only making 20 or 30, but my guess is that is a concentration issue when constantly having to face 1st class bowlers, whereas he was probably getting away with it at age group/lower level cricket. With experience I'm sure this problem will disappear.

Superstar in waiting Max Chu has looked very good in almost every innings and has played with a refreshing positivity before finding ways to get himself out. Some really big scores must be imminent and I'd imagine the captaincy is not far away either. Parkes also looks a very good player.

On the bowling front I've been impressed with Michael Rae but he didn't play in the last game so I assume he must have been injured. He was outstanding v Canterbury and extremely unlucky in his opening spell. Duffy seems to be excellent one moment and terrible the next, and McKay would be a much more effective bowler if he reduced his run up by 25%. I like Rippon's batting but I'm afraid to say his bowling is dreadful. No turn (despite being a wrist spinner), no variation, and frequently dispatched to all parts by even mediocre batsmen. Muller looks a decent bowler and a more than useful No8.

Captaincy seems poor too. In the last game v ND a possible 50 odd 1st innings lead was turned into a 96 run deficit mainly due to a 100 run 9th wicket partnership. Nearly all those runs were harvested with great ease off a pie throwing Duffy and an ineffective and expensive Rippon, and yet Rutherford kept throwing the ball to them instead of making a badly needed change. The game was lost right there.

I'm very much looking forward to the remaining four 1st class games in February.

ataraxia

International Coach
First ball, CD v Otago:

Rance to Rutherford; blocked, Rance gets a touch on the ball (perhaps) and it ricochets onto the non-striker's stumps. The appeal is deemed not out by the umpire, and all of CD stand around quizzically. The batters then notice that no one has gone to collect the ball, and jog a simple two.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes and Cumming is an opener in a country and state team perennially short of openers, so there's probably not a whole lot of genuine competition for that spot. He'll have to learn on the job as any 18yo thrown in the deep end would, but I wish him every single success possible and hope he's eventually an NZ option.