• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
There goes Rachin, getting out to the non-NZ-level handy domestic seam up bowler in exactly the way @nzfan complains of.
Knew it, just had a look and it had to be Solia. From memory the bowlers from Aces he would have got out to are Solia, Ter Baak, McEwan. All you have to do with Rachin is bring on your 4th or 5th choice seamer and he'll invariably get out. That to be fair was a reasonable ball from Solia, he may have bowled an off cutter there but high chances Rachin can get out to slow paced 120k bowlers where the ball doesn't come on to the bat. You'd think that is the kind of bowling he would feast on considering he developed his cricket in Wellington club decks.

nzfan

Just had a look at the scores and it really breaks my heart to see Ajaz getting smashed around. He has won many games for black caps and the way he has been treated sure enough he would have totally lost confidence. He's not bowling badly but just that barely given a go after a stellar India tour will break the toughest of the men. For a starter Southee refused to use Ajaz much vs Pakistan and Pakistan targeted him for runs. Bowled short spells that didn't help. Now he's toiling in domestic cricket. His has to be one of the most shocking lows in a career after the ultimate high of 10 wickets in an inning. I think he may be coming up to 35 when the next series is around and high chances he may never play again for black caps if Southee and Stead continue at the helm. If Latham was the captain I suppose he would have picked Ajaz.

thierry henry

International Coach
I do feel bad for Ajaz and thought he was under-bowled against Pakistan, but how many of us were actually calling for him to bowl more during those tests? My recollection is he was visibly ineffective to the point where most NZ viewers pretty much understood why he wasn't bowling. Poorly handled yes, but I think sometimes his bowling just isn't (or doesn't appear to be) the required standard.

nzfan

I do feel bad for Ajaz and thought he was under-bowled against Pakistan, but how many of us were actually calling for him to bowl more during those tests? My recollection is he was visibly ineffective to the point where most NZ viewers pretty much understood why he wasn't bowling. Poorly handled yes, but I think sometimes his bowling just isn't (or doesn't appear to be) the required standard.
When you lose your captain's confidence in you it is a very hard task bowling. A couple of big hits and you know you'll be taken off. I can't see how he is going to be back in the squad. He has gone down the pecking order and likely to be 3rd spinner picked. Heck Sodhi did so well but he can't get in the team at the moment. Can't revive it either in domestic cricket as there's only couple of games to go and you never know what deck he may be presented with. Besides the next test match is like 6-8 months away. I can't quite make out why there is so much gap between test matches. 6 months is a long time to not play test matches.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When you lose your captain's confidence in you it is a very hard task bowling. A couple of big hits and you know you'll be taken off. I can't see how he is going to be back in the squad. He has gone down the pecking order and likely to be 3rd spinner picked. Heck Sodhi did so well but he can't get in the team at the moment. Can't revive it either in domestic cricket as there's only couple of games to go and you never know what deck he may be presented with. Besides the next test match is like 6-8 months away. I can't quite make out why there is so much gap between test matches. 6 months is a long time to not play test matches.
There's never any tests played in April/May anymore and the World Cup is on in October-November, so really we're just talking about June-September. Australia and SA don't host cricket in that period and England played us last year (3 years in a row would be a bit much even accounting for how fond the English appear to have become of us). That really just leaves WI, SL and India, all of whom are booked up.

ataraxia

International Coach
For ten points, who will be the next random 30-32 year-old called into the New Zealand cricket team?

Bruce
Schmulian
Solia

Kelly
Bowes
McConchie
Randell
Hampton
R O'Donnell edit: doesn't qualify as not 30
Van Beek

place ur bets now
Bowes I imagine – might even play against SL in the ODI/T20Is. Seems like the sort of insipid call with only the last year or so's backing that fits.

tbh I would rather enjoy the bolded call-ups

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Troy Johnson really seems to have the batting yips at the moment. Only score 3 from two innings for Wellington A. Last year I was thinking he might be inline for a Blacks Caps ODI call up given his Ford Trophy form.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Some gritty anti-Bazball batting from CD at Bay Oval. Smith out for 4 off 40 balls and the total 19/1 after 17 overs. Another day to survive.

ataraxia

International Coach
Chu out to a heavily-misdirected Sodhi bouncer. At least I think so – with it being Ish it's somehwat hard to distinguish between a bouncer and a long hop.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Chu out to a heavily-misdirected Sodhi bouncer. At least I think so – with it being Ish it's somehwat hard to distinguish between a bouncer and a long hop.
I haven't seen a batsman so whole-heartedly devoured by Sodhi THE DESTROYER since Mohammed Wasim in Karachi

nzfan

Bowes I imagine – might even play against SL in the ODI/T20Is. Seems like the sort of insipid call with only the last year or so's backing that fits.

tbh I would rather enjoy the bolded call-ups
I'd think so too... it does help he's from Canterbury. I'm not saying that because of Stead but the academy is over there so obviously they would have seen him lots more of him than some of the players from other regions. He even made the NZ A red ball team over Cooper with not such a good red ball career.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There's never any tests played in April/May anymore and the World Cup is on in October-November, so really we're just talking about June-September. Australia and SA don't host cricket in that period and England played us last year (3 years in a row would be a bit much even accounting for how fond the English appear to have become of us). That really just leaves WI, SL and India, all of whom are booked up.
When did we last your WI? Seems like forever ago. Like I think Mark Craig was playing and won us a test there.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might be a nice time for a Test in Ireland alongside a few ODIs to help in the run up to the World Cup.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When did we last your WI? Seems like forever ago. Like I think Mark Craig was playing and won us a test there.
Yeah, neither board seems to have much interest in an NZ test tour of WI. There've only been 2 series in the last 20 years, with none scheduled before 2028 at the earliest.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Never understand Sodhi’s endless varieties of long hops. If he doesn’t know what’s coming out the batsman has no chance