• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Every shot Ashok has played so far in super smash it's been a flick shot. Amazingly he's picked a run every time he's played that shot.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great to see a really solid turnout at the Basin for both of these games today. What's happening with the construction site just next to the grass banks?

nzfan

Great to see a really solid turnout at the Basin for both of these games today. What's happening with the construction site just next to the grass banks?
It used to be cricket Wellington office. They're building a new block I think.

Very good crowd turnout indeed.

nzfan

Can't believe they sent out Logan Van Beek at no 3. Too much panic I guess after Finn got out.

Lister swinging the ball like banana.

Been told Tim Robinson smashes it. Bit like Finn Allen. Be interesting to see.

nzfan

Ashok should be good today on this deck. There's fair bit of turn and long boundaries unlike outer oval. Should enjoy bowling at basin.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Looked like big turn on offer from the youtube highlights
Yeah, Joe Walker, who I remember Blocky rated highly, was man of the match. Coburn and Astle bowled really well. ND's innings was bizarre. After Katene Clarke was injured he hit Nuttall for 4 sixes before retiring then the spinners came on and strangled them. Clarke gave his gloves to a kid in the crowd when he retired but was forced to return in the last over to join Boult. Have to feel bad for Nuttall.

nzfan

Ashok with two in the first over but looked like they were really **** short balls or are they skidders?

nzfan

The second over from Ashok real good. Bowled much fuller and look to take wickets. Impressive stuff

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ashok with two in the first over but looked like they were really **** short balls or are they skidders?
I thought the one to Johnson skidded on a bit and he played on trying to pull. The Smith one seemed to bounce more and he missed a pull shot - question mark around the height for the LBW. Second over was impressive, Gibson really struggled to get bat on ball.

nzfan

I can't believe firebirds are playing with 3.5 batters. Finn, Troy, Bracewell and Nathan Smith. Robinson, just hits the ball hard as a qualification but should ideally be at no 7/8.

nzfan

Good to see plenty of used pitches around the country giving plenty of assistance to spinners? Particularly on grounds that are bigger.

ataraxia

International Coach
I can't believe firebirds are playing with 3.5 batters. Finn, Troy, Bracewell and Nathan Smith. Robinson, just hits the ball hard as a qualification but should ideally be at no 7/8.
Yeah the balance looks awful. Six front-line bowlers plus Macewell and Gibson. Also odd that Ravindra, Blundell, Neesham aren't playing as they should all be free to.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Robinson is a top order player. An experienced Onslow observer was complaining he was wasted at 7.

nzfan

Typical Macewell move if you ask me. Drops himself down the order when the bowlers look dangerous. Kinda like how he only bowls when there are new batsmen at the crease. I would hate to play in a side he captains.
Same... Nathan Smith didn't bowl an over. Can't believe he bowled full quota of overs. He was tight but Smith would have chipped in with wickets. Maybe 130+ was one too many for that deck to chase.

Have plenty of respect for his cricket skills but quicker we move on from him as a captain better for us. Any game I go to, the past cricketers discussion is always about why is our captain bowling himself every game over other bowlers. He's done a reasonable job with the ball I'll give that but at the expense of better bowlers in the side.

nzfan

Robinson is a top order player. An experienced Onslow observer was complaining he was wasted at 7.
I'm happy he's getting a go, he's a reasonable batter and should be playing the entire super smash but not at the expense of a proper batter. Typical sort of thinking we had like a decade ago. If someone looks strong and hits the ball hard we used to think he's a top order bat. Hitting club bowlers on club decks on small grounds as compared to playing at the top at basin is a different proposition.

That said he's definitely one of the better players from Wellington recently and should be persisted.

nzfan

Yeah the balance looks awful. Six front-line bowlers plus Macewell and Gibson. Also odd that Ravindra, Blundell, Neesham aren't playing as they should all be free to.
Don't know about Neesham, I hear he's going to be back after Christmas.

Blundell, Ravindra and Devon aren't allowed to play super smash given the test matches.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm happy he's getting a go, he's a reasonable batter and should be playing the entire super smash but not at the expense of a proper batter. Typical sort of thinking we had like a decade ago. If someone looks strong and hits the ball hard we used to think he's a top order bat. Hitting club bowlers on club decks on small grounds as compared to playing at the top at basin is a different proposition.

That said he's definitely one of the better players from Wellington recently and should be persisted.
I haven't seen much of him play but he seems to be highly rated. Hopefully he goes well in the NZ XI game against Bangladesh. Another guy they could consider to open is Bhula who has done well in the Ford Trophy.