• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else detect a hint of sadness in Allen's reaction to his latest single-figure score? Kinda seems like even he's starting to feel like he's just not ready for this yet.
As I said on a previous page, Auckland are throwing him to the wolves by playing him as an opener. He's not an opener - he's a 4. I know that spot isn't available but the kid is 19, his game isn't up to facing the new ball. He's a bloody talented player but this isn't doing him any favours. The Auckland A side are in Australia I think it is for a World T20 sort of tournament, he'd have been better there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said on a previous page, Auckland are throwing him to the wolves by playing him as an opener. He's not an opener - he's a 4. I know that spot isn't available but the kid is 19, his game isn't up to facing the new ball. He's a bloody talented player but this isn't doing him any favours. The Auckland A side are in Australia I think it is for a World T20 sort of tournament, he'd have been better there.
Yeah that situation doesn't seem great when Auckland A are using one of their top-3 spots on Ronnie Hira, when they're already struggling to get some good run production out of Barry and Allen.

Barnard, although South African, has always batted with more of a loose and cheerful '5 or lower' style himself I think.
Brian Barnard | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

'The Colins Effect'. Two men picked up their whole city's batting culture and shifted it to the opposite side of the room from the T-Mac and Andrew de Boorder one that preceded it. :p

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Yeah my opinion too.. That said they should persist with him, he's good enough to play at this level. Most are going to struggle early on to step up but they will do in the long run. It's not the end of it. Given these days players play forever he has 2 decades to achieve all that he wants. He just needs to understand this is how cricket works. I'd rather some of these young ones have mixed bag, they will learn way more with that than have massive highs and then stop working on their game thinking they own the world. It's ok for him to fail no worries, the season is long. What goes around comes around they need to have faith in him. He's been out to Hamish Bennett thrice in a row now. Every player in the circuit knows Bennett bowls very heavy balls with awkward action and is a tough bowler to face up particularly with the new ball. No shame in getting out to him. He's probably the most successful fast bowler in the circuit going around. I just hope Auckland doesn't lose faith in him and expect him to be like Glen Phillips all guns blazing scoring runs for fun. Some develop wee bit later and some early. Just keep giving them chances like Firebirds are doing with Bhula right now. Bhula I don't think has the game yet to compete but he will also turn it around, all they need is one or two decent knocks.

P.S: I don't understand why Finn Allen was bowling his offies today though. I thought he's a part time wicket keeper. Glen Phillips is bowling some nude offies too. I don't know if that does any good for them other than just being involved in the game.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I didn't realise that Dean Foxcroft was an ex-SA under 19 player (and scored a ton against Leopard and Clarkson in the 2016 WC). Nice to see him make his maiden century today for CD.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Taita struggled with him and didn't renew his contract with the club. Last heard he's playing in Otago this year.
Yep that's right, Muller, a former Melbourne T20 bat in Tom Beaton, Fraser Colson, quite a few others now gathering to deepen the talent pool of Otago a little bit.
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/beaton-and-visavadiya-commit-side
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/otago-talent-bolstered

Apparently Muller and Beaton can't put pressure on Rippon and Viljoen as NZ-qualifying options yet, they have to collect some more months in the country and try that next season.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah my opinion too.. That said they should persist with him, he's good enough to play at this level. Most are going to struggle early on to step up but they will do in the long run. It's not the end of it. Given these days players play forever he has 2 decades to achieve all that he wants. He just needs to understand this is how cricket works. I'd rather some of these young ones have mixed bag, they will learn way more with that than have massive highs and then stop working on their game thinking they own the world. It's ok for him to fail no worries, the season is long. What goes around comes around they need to have faith in him. He's been out to Hamish Bennett thrice in a row now. Every player in the circuit knows Bennett bowls very heavy balls with awkward action and is a tough bowler to face up particularly with the new ball. No shame in getting out to him. He's probably the most successful fast bowler in the circuit going around. I just hope Auckland doesn't lose faith in him and expect him to be like Glen Phillips all guns blazing scoring runs for fun. Some develop wee bit later and some early. Just keep giving them chances like Firebirds are doing with Bhula right now. Bhula I don't think has the game yet to compete but he will also turn it around, all they need is one or two decent knocks.

P.S: I don't understand why Finn Allen was bowling his offies today though. I thought he's a part time wicket keeper. Glen Phillips is bowling some nude offies too. I don't know if that does any good for them other than just being involved in the game.
Yeah I don't think Finn opening now will create any scars for him or impact how his career pans out in any way. He's a good enough player with a strong head on his shoulders, he'll be fine. I just think he'd get better quicker by either playing in the middle order, or playing A cricket - the As have a very meaningful schedule nowadays. Club cricket is a lot stronger than it has traditionally been as well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that situation doesn't seem great when Auckland A are using one of their top-3 spots on Ronnie Hira, when they're already struggling to get some good run production out of Barry and Allen.

Barnard, although South African, has always batted with more of a loose and cheerful '5 or lower' style himself I think.
Brian Barnard | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

'The Colins Effect'. Two men picked up their whole city's batting culture and shifted it to the opposite side of the room from the T-Mac and Andrew de Boorder one that preceded it. :p
And we all know Barnard is a Howick player now too, right? We could pick an Auckland XI purely out of HPCC players and expect to win some games - Bill Walsh (brother of Tom, the world champ shotputter) G.Phillips Munro Barnard D.Phillips Andy Morrison Grobbelaar Danru Ferns Matt McEwen McClenaghan Jamie Brown. Without picking Andy de (young enough but 'retired') and de Grandhomme. Easily the world's pre-eminent club and I say that genuinely.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
And we all know Barnard is a Howick player now too, right? We could pick an Auckland XI purely out of HPCC players and expect to win some games - Bill Walsh (brother of Tom, the world champ shotputter) G.Phillips Munro Barnard D.Phillips Andy Morrison Grobbelaar Danru Ferns Matt McEwen McClenaghan Jamie Brown. Without picking Andy de (young enough but 'retired') and de Grandhomme. Easily the world's pre-eminent club and I say that genuinely.
Must irritate that Takapuna or Cornwall ever represent at the national club champs. :happy: I'll have to tell someone that championship should really be based on a sheer number of international and major association caps won during the latest season, not a misleading 'champion of champions' format.

I'll then add two ex-rugby or ex-league stars to every XI, and get that put it on Sky in October/November evenings.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll know if the Stokes Valley Vipers playing a very sped-up version of lawn bowls against the Gore Rams gets Sky more value for its spring broadcasting budget than Howick-Pakuranga's cricket, then cricket in New Zealand can be ruled 100% infertile underneath its plush and fake veneer.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Must irritate that Takapuna or Cornwall ever represent at the national club champs. :happy: I'll have to tell someone that championship should really be based on a sheer number of international and major association caps won during the latest season, not a misleading 'champion of champions' format.

I'll then add two ex-rugby or ex-league stars to every XI, and get that put it on Sky in October/November evenings.
Dunno if you remember, but there was an old saying based around a non-alcoholic beer called Clayton's back in the day. If something was watered down or not at all representative of the real thing, it was a Clayton's whatever. When Takapuna or Cornwall win the one-day champs, with Howick's best 7-8 guys on professional duty, they're winning the Clayton's Cup. No one needs to argue it wouldn't be anywhere near a close run thing with all club reps available. Plus you're overlooking HP's three one-day trophies in a row (including winning the nationals) and five in seven years from 2005-2011.

We were certainly more happy with ourselves when we had guys playing for their city or country than drinking Riccadonna out of the Hedley Howarth Trophy.

Blain

U19 Captain
Neesh finally gonna crack a tonne? He deserves it. With CDG out of batting form, he could be a chance to come in at home. TBH I don't think his bowling is worth more than 5 overs at that level, so wouldn't mind him taking Nicholls spot and Santner challenging CDG.

Nothing too exciting from the other games, Foxcroft almost did a Fletcher, liking Leopard up the order but didn't work.

The Hutt Rec

Neesham got the hundred, which was deserved, but really blew the match getting caught with 9 runs needed. The Wellington batting from six down is awful.

nzfan

Firebirds twice now blew the game away. Batting after no. 5 just don't seem to contribute consistently. I guess with Ravindra and Logan back the batting will be strengthened. Neesh looking in great touch, batting like a champion. Should be in the NZ A squad against India at least in the one dayers.

nzfan

Sadly Auckland have left out Finn Allen. Hope it isn't the last we have seen of him for aces this season. CD using 20 year olds in the top order, not so sure Leopard should be opening and Ludick at no 3 but CD have lost nearly 10 of their players.

SeamUp

International Coach
Foxcroft off to a great start with 120 & 90

Still only 21. Probably still a good few years away from qualifying for NZL though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sucks how this rapid-fire portion of the Ford Trophy down in Christchurch doesn't look like it'll have wickets and boundaries video, at least not at the Lincoln No. 3 games.

Michael Pollard back in Wellington colours I see. Nofal retained, but sensibly removed from seeing any of the new ball.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor old Raki. Just always a bit too much of a struggle for strike rotation and non-village play outside of his ***y offside scoring arc. This probably would've been a game where he really needed to get the nod to then have any stint as a Firebirds cricketer, but who knows, maybe he'll have to follow Colson to Otago.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ben Horne is Auckland's new Hail Mary at the top of their order, not Majithia, Hira or Barnard. Not playing it like a pinch hitter either with 10 off 27.