• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
The funniest thing is based on their stats this year, Kitchen would most likely have been dropped for this game too, if he hadn't been promoted to the Blackcaps.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Neesham will be retired within the next 12 months. You heard it here first.
Nah. He's 27, has played international cricket and decently well at times. His ceiling money-wise is much higher in cricket than the media, and he'll find it hard to launch into a media career being a dropped domestic player.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty awful from Otago today ... some shabby fielding probably makes it look even worse.

Is something going on down there, or have they just given up on the season and want to try some new players? I'd have thought if it was a happy camp then at least one of Rutherford, Wagner or Neesham would have something to contribute ... but all dropped. :confused:
Yeah the fact the South African-born Hicks is their one guy looking significantly improved under Walter is possibly a hint for us, but who knows really.

Otago cricket always has some risk of a fracturing along gamester McCullum and begrudging taskmaster Glenn Turner lines. That's the Scots for you.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No Sky is right, Knights is their only name and they've become very particular about this. No Indian kid needs to feel his link to following Knights is a tenuous one. The entertainment value of Boult, be it Trent or Jono, transcends geographical boundaries.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair enough. Whatever gets them out of having to play games in Northland.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty awful from Otago today ... some shabby fielding probably makes it look even worse.

Is something going on down there, or have they just given up on the season and want to try some new players? I'd have thought if it was a happy camp then at least one of Rutherford, Wagner or Neesham would have something to contribute ... but all dropped. :confused:
Rutherford dropped? I thought T20 was his format - wasn't he one of the top run scorers for Otago last season?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Rutherford dropped? I thought T20 was his format - wasn't he one of the top run scorers for Otago last season?
Walter said the decision to drop Rutherford and Wagner was partly due to a lack of form in the format but also to give players an opportunity. ''Now is the time to explore change because of where we are in the competition,'' he said. ''You can't justify to the fringe members when you've lost [six out of seven] games that they are not getting a go."

''At the end of the day, the numbers speak for themselves. If people are bemused about the decision then they just need to go and check the averages. The reality is they are not the first quality players to be left out of a team and they certainly won't be the last. In my opinion, we have given guys opportunities. We've let them play and continued to pick them. But at some point you actually have to be fair to the other players in your squad.''
https://www.oct.co.nz/sport/cricket/changes-rung-same-result

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
It's still bloody weird, when you have an old T20 numpty who has barely scored a run this season in all forms (TBF he has 1 hundred), in Brad Wilson down the order. Neesham or Rutherford would added to that line up no doubt. Otago have been going down a Wellington road the past few seasons, not a lot of local guys developing into Black Caps, rather getting old boys from other regions. I really hope guys like Finnie, Nathan Smith, even Duffy develop into strong performers.

jcas0167

International Debutant
It's still bloody weird, when you have an old T20 numpty who has barely scored a run this season in all forms (TBF he has 1 hundred), in Brad Wilson down the order. Neesham or Rutherford would added to that line up no doubt. Otago have been going down a Wellington road the past few seasons, not a lot of local guys developing into Black Caps, rather getting old boys from other regions. I really hope guys like Finnie, Nathan Smith, even Duffy develop into strong performers.
Yes, I thought Rutherford had been in good form earlier in the season too so it seems particularly harsh to leave him out.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes some interesting logic there.
Well yeah, has this fixation with youth, novelty, speed and ***iness as being the answer to everything been getting a bit overrated in terms of producing cricketers of enduring relevance over here in NZ for a while, or are South Africans just silly with their outmoded disciplinarian ideas, who'll be suffering away defeats that are as heavy as New Zealand's and Australia's, any year now. That's the question it poses.

It's probably no big drama to me if we have one out of the six domestic coaches who's sort of different, who doesn't really rate Rutherford and Neesham. Sort of lightweight guys, frat boy personalities who came out all hot fire in their international careers, then couldn't handle life outside their preferred safe spaces. Not really mentors for a Shawn Hicks or Llew Johnson who are going to mesh with Walter's attempt to discipline. They'd be more likely to just clash and muddy the message conveyed, in a way the dogged and grafting Brad Wilson I suppose doesn't.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any chance of today's TV game in Christchurch going ahead? If not I might as well get some chores done.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
The Kiwi Super Smash appears to have sunk without trace overshadowed by The Ashes, BBL, WINDIES and Pakistan tours of NZ. Only a handful of games televised apparently but watched the superb game between Aces and Firebirds which was streamed LIVE into Asia on Xmas Eve. The NZ Herald abandoned coverage of Auckland Domestic cricket years ago when media facilities and free grazing at lunch and tea were cut back. A shame as the Super Smash has some decent talent on show. The ball certainly flies into the crowd on the Bank at Eden Park No. 2 . Great atmosphere unlike the sterile stadia - monuments to Mammon - featured in the BBL .

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
The Kiwi Super Smash appears to have sunk without trace overshadowed by The Ashes, BBL, WINDIES and Pakistan tours of NZ. Only a handful of games televised apparently but watched the superb game between Aces and Firebirds which was streamed LIVE into Asia on Xmas Eve. The NZ Herald abandoned coverage of Auckland Domestic cricket years ago when media facilities and free grazing at lunch and tea were cut back. A shame as the Super Smash has some decent talent on show. The ball certainly flies into the crowd on the Bank at Eden Park No. 2 . Great atmosphere unlike the sterile stadia - monuments to Mammon - featured in the BBL .
I think our Super Smash is a quality league with a lot of good young players out there trying to prove themselves unlike that god awful Big Bash retirement home league that gets shoved down our throats.