• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given how good his FC record is, it's probably about time that Ajaz got a go with the NZA team the next time they tour somewhere. I know he doesn't exactly put a lot of work on the ball with his action, but he's probably been the form finger spinner in domestic cricket for the last 3 or 4 seasons in a row.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good spotting. In the comments of the scoreboard:

MD Rae replaced S Hicks at the beginning of Day 2 as a concussion substitute on medical advice.
He went on to take 5 for 18 in the second innings! Looks lively. That game is nicely poised.

Gutted for CD and Ajaz Patel to be denied by the rain. Patel's domestic performances certainly warrant an A tour at least. He could be like Mark Priest or Bruce Martin, regularly dominating the domestic stats but unable to crack the national team.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe CD were unable to finish off Auckland there having dominated the whole match - that would've put them way out in front at the top of the table.

vandem

International 12th Man
Is only one game, but Neesham looked like an international batting all-rounder again in the brief highlights. Hard hit 90. Two wickets were good, ct 2nd slip and bowled with a nip-backer.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Can't believe CD were unable to finish off Auckland there having dominated the whole match - that would've put them way out in front at the top of the table.
I think they went off for rain after 17 overs on the fourth day.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Big final day in Dunedin for this year’s Plunket Shield ... Otago 92/4 chasing 215. Neesham has just come in ... a lot riding on him, I think.

Last edited:

nzfan

Just checked and Jeetan Patel has bowled 61 overs. Meanwhile Peter Younghusband supposed to be the next Firebirds main spin bowler has bowled 11 for the match. This is exactly why I stopped following firebirds. Give the lad the ball already... A win here will also mean Papps, Jeetan Patel etc will continue to play for 5 more years. Big deal if they win Plunkett Shield, they have nothing to offer to NZ cricket. Elsewhere all other regions are producing some good talent for future. I think this win will do more damage to Wellington local players than any good.

On another note great to see Finn Allen getting hits in all formats for Auckland. As I predicted in Wellington out of the 4 under 19 reps none is even close enough to get a game.

The Hutt Rec

I’d be ecstatic to see Wellington win it, given it’s been since 03/04. Papps stood down for all the limited overs stuff and Jeets didn’t play the Ford Trophy, so they are giving opportunities. Can’t argue that they are still probably Wellington’s best players though (along with Bennett when fully fit), so I don’t see why you’d drop them.

Last edited:

nzfan

I’d be ecstatic to see Wellington win it, given it’s been since 03/04. Papps stood down for all the limited overs stuff and Jeets didn’t play the Ford Trophy, so they are giving opportunities. Can’t argue that they are still probably Wellington’s best players though (along with Bennett when fully fit), so I don’t see why you’d drop them.
You are welcome to have your opinion but domestic cricket is not there for you to just keep winning at all costs, you have to contribute to NZ cricket and the first objective is to be feeder to Black caps. This team has barely lost a player in years to Blackcaps. If you reckon Patel, Papps are the best we can offer and they should continue to play, well I have nothing to say TBH.

Jeetan Patel didn't play the one day games because he was going under the knife not because he wanted to make way for others. Yeah we will win but at the cost of development and destruction of our young players. In any case I'd love to see them lose everything and the system is cleaned up head to toe. The coach, the assistant coach, the setup, they are all rubbish to the core to say the least. I'd love to see a lot of younger players from here signed up for other regions and Firebirds continue to play 40 year olds in the team for years to come :D In my opinion I haven't seen a more inept domestic cricket set up in my life time having been involved with cricket in Auckland, UK, Australia etc.

This is coming from an absolute Wellington cricket supporter for years.

Last edited:

nzfan

My rants aside this is turning out to be a good game of cricket. Would have been great if Otago had 2 wickets and 30 runs to go.

jcas0167

International Debutant
You are welcome to have your opinion but domestic cricket is not there for you to just keep winning at all costs, you have to contribute to NZ cricket and the first objective is to be feeder to Black caps. This team has barely lost a player in years to Blackcaps. If you reckon Patel, Papps are the best we can offer and they should continue to play, well I have nothing to say TBH.

Jeetan Patel didn't play the one day games because he was going under the knife not because he wanted to make way for others. Yeah we will win but at the cost of development and destruction of our young players. In any case I'd love to see them lose everything and the system is cleaned up head to toe. The coach, the assistant coach, the setup, they are all rubbish to the core to say the least. I'd love to see a lot of younger players from here signed up for other regions and Firebirds continue to play 40 year olds in the team for years to come :D In my opinion I haven't seen a more inept domestic cricket set up in my life time having been involved with cricket in Auckland, UK, Australia etc.

This is coming from an absolute Wellington cricket supporter for years.
It's one of those ongoing debates about the right balance between blooding newcomers and sticking with proven performers. I remember in the 90's there were concerns about experienced players leaving the game too early and the impact this had on the quality of the first class competition (essentially becoming an extended youth tournament). That is the flipside argument, that while Papps & Patel are unlikely to get a Black Caps call up, they raise the standard of the competition which in turn helps bridge the gap to international cricket. The Wellington pace attack at least seems to have brought in some newcomers, although it's a shame Sears hasn't played (not sure if he's injured).

My rants aside this is turning out to be a good game of cricket. Would have been great if Otago had 2 wickets and 30 runs to go.
Yeah, particularly given Duffy was run out taking a second run on Broom's call.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Otago might just get this one. 32 needed, one wicket in hand, new ball eight overs away. They probably want to do it in the next eight.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah if domestic cricket was like club rugby league and had its own fans and was profitable in its own right, then I'd strongly prefer players had to battle their way up out of age group play and reserve grade on merit, but you're right, it's not. NZC and Cricket Wellington are leaning on private efforts from dads etc. to get the Hutt Hawks organised and overseas on tours. You're correct to be concerned that the Woodcock types are inadvertently pulling the rope ladder up behind them as they exit, giving the youth the fingers and saying "you weren't going to really cherish cricket like our generation of Sports Roundup New Zealanders did, anyway".

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Any luck with a new vault password from your sources, btw? Get me again via kippaxcricket at gmail.

The Hutt Rec

Yeah if domestic cricket was like club rugby league and had its own fans and was profitable in its own right, then I'd strongly prefer players had to battle their way up out of age group play and reserve grade on merit, but you're right, it's not. NZC and Cricket Wellington are leaning on private efforts from dads etc. to get the Hutt Hawks organised and overseas on tours. You're correct to be concerned that the Woodcock types are inadvertently pulling the rope ladder up behind them as they exit, giving the youth the fingers and saying "you weren't going to really cherish cricket like our generation of Sports Roundup New Zealanders did, anyway".
Is that nzfan’s argument though? Wellington only have five 30+ players out of 12 (Blundell was subbed out, so 12 in this match) in this game, and two of them are Woodcock and Murdoch who IIRC nzfan is a big supporter of.

The others are Papps, Patel and Bennett.

I don’t think it’s an age thing at Wellington anymore (a few have retired from previous seasons), but more that there aren’t many local players coming in. Bracewell, Colson, van Beek and Conway have been preferred this season.

Personally I’m of the view that having a strong team for those players to come into is of more benefit than playing a load of them with the hope they’ll be up to it. There’s no doubt for me that they will get a chance, if they’re good enough.

Last edited: