• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

Polo23

International Debutant
Still got all of today, and all of tomorrow..if they bat the whole time they will win. I'd suggest that is what the coach/captain has told them. To just bat normally, and for as long as possible.

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah, really needs to kick on. I'm interested as to why Canterbury always stick with Todd Astle as opener, every time i've seen he's opened he has failed.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Canterbury chasing 400+ are 38/1

Fulton coming at No.3

expecting big one here from Fulton

Polo23

International Debutant
Fulton out for 64 and Myburgh gone for 67...they both needed to kick on.

Stewart with another duck to go with his golden in the first innings...a pair in the first game of the season, ouch. Robertson gone for 14 so now it's left to Van Wyk and Anderson again to save Canterbury.

Polo23

International Debutant
Who's this Nethula bloke debuting for Auckland? I think I read he was a legspinner...he didn't bowl in the first innings but currently has 3/43 and has the wickets of Fulton, Stewart and Van Wyk.

Polo23

International Debutant
Don't know, it doesnt say on cricinfo, and none of the articles says how old he is. Stuff calls him a 'rookie leg spinner'.

"Shanan Stewart collected his second duck of the match, caught out by Nethula's wrong 'un and trapped leg before wicket."

"Captain Kruger van Wyk became Nethula's third victim, the second to be bamboozled by a well-disguised wrong 'un which went onto remove his off-stump."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4758899a1823.html

A NZ leggie with a wrongun...hmm.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I played with Nethula over in Aussie recently. He's not young, been around the traps in club cricket for a while. 25-26 maybe? I'm not actually too sure to be honest.

Natman20

International Debutant
Anderson demonstrating another great batting performance here. Added over 50 today for the final wicket, has gone from 39 at stumps last night to 88 now while Bennett has only scored 1.

Polo23

International Debutant
If Bennett wasnt so bloody rubbish with the bat Anderson would have scored a maiden FC ton, and perhaps been able to see Canterbury home. No idea why Canterbury batted Anderson at number 8 in this match, ridiculous decision for mine. Hopefully they pull their heads in and put him to alteast number 6 for the next game. Canterbury's best bat, and still only 17.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's gonna be a star all right. I just hope he hasn't let his bowling completely go to seed. A couple of seasons ago he was being talked about as mainly a bowling all rounder, but by all accounts he's really a batsman who bowls a bit now, which is a bit of a shame.

Polo23

International Debutant
He's gonna be a star all right. I just hope he hasn't let his bowling completely go to seed. A couple of seasons ago he was being talked about as mainly a bowling all rounder, but by all accounts he's really a batsman who bowls a bit now, which is a bit of a shame.
I guess he and his coaches thought he could get more out of his batting but pretty much dropping the bowling. It's understandable...rather an awesome batsman than an ok batsman, and an ok bowler...we don't want another Brandon Hiini. He does still bowl a bit thought.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess he and his coaches thought he could get more out of his batting but pretty much dropping the bowling. It's understandable...rather an awesome batsman than an ok batsman, and an ok bowler...we don't want another Brandon Hiini. He does still bowl a bit thought.
The thing was by all accounts he was heading towards being much more than just an OK bowler. Anyone who can put the ball through at 138 km/h when they've just turned 16 has got something about them. But I agree that as a batsman he's made astonishing strides forward. And he's still only 17. He's already improved his batting to the point where he looks to be one of the better players in his first class outfit, so there's plenty of time for him to return to his bowling in the future.

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah but if he had focussed on his bowling would his batting be so good now?

It will be interesting to see if he gets more overs on a more seam friendly track.