• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What season was it that Adams averaged nine again? Before or after ICL? My memory has gone mushy.

Close match between ND and Auckland. Wouldn't have expected ND to get to 100 with only 2 down - pity Jarshall out just before lunch. Auckland will probably wrap it up by 50 runs IMO.
Andre Adams, season by season in the Plunket Shield since 2001-02:

2001-02: 31 wickets @ 19.45
2002-03: 3 wickets @ 20.33
2003-04: 24 wickets @ 22.04
2004-05: 29 wickets @ 20.20
2005-06: 24 wickets @ 25.58
2006-07: 32 wickets @ 18.78
**ICL**
2007-08: 29 wickets @ 8.27
2008-09: DNP
2009-10: DNP
2010-11: 16 wickets @ 24.93

In that whole time he managed to play one Test. He was hardly a flop in that Test either - he took 6 wickets @ 17.

All the while he continued to be a pretty mercurial player in one day domestic cricket and somehow managed to play 42 ODIs, displaying that same mercuriality. Excellent work from the selectors.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The Home of CricketArchive

After, I think? Ridiculous that a man with that record has played only one Test, and took 6 wickets in it at that. Whether that's the selectors' issue, his own attitude or a bit of both is up in the air.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've seen a few interviews of Adams and he does seem to be a bit of an asshole. Might be completely wrong about him though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've seen a few interviews of Adams and he does seem to be a bit of an asshole. Might be completely wrong about him though.
Yeah, no doubt. The thing is though, he kept getting selected for ODIs, even though he's never been as good at one day cricket anyway. If it was really just a personality problem he would have been kept away from the ODI setup too.

Flem274*

123/5
I suspect they just think he's a bit of a ****. Made himself popular last night with ND hurling abuse at them at the close of play.

They can't not rate his bowling surely.

Now personally I don't mind picking ***** as long as they're good, but John Bracewell must think otherwise. Bracewell ignored Ryder as well.

**** you James Franklin. WAC.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, no doubt. The thing is though, he kept getting selected for ODIs, even though he's never been as good at one day cricket anyway. If it was really just a personality problem he would have been kept away from the ODI setup too.
Maybe they just thought it would be funny to play him in his worst format?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect they just think he's a bit of a ****. Made himself popular last night with ND hurling abuse at them at the close of play.
Saw that on Twitter too, and if I'm hazarding a guess it would have been directed at Yovich for having a nightwatchman.

If that's the case, Yovich might have something to shove up him in the next couple of hours.

Howsie

International Captain
We better not screw this run chase up from here, Yovich is probably going to have to bat through if we are to get up though.

Howsie

International Captain
Saw that on Twitter too, and if I'm hazarding a guess it would have been directed at Yovich for having a nightwatchman.

If that's the case, Yovich might have something to shove up him in the next couple of hours.
I'm not exactly a massive fan of the nightwatchman but last night was probably the best example of when to use one.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not exactly a massive fan of the nightwatchman but last night was probably the best example of when to use one.
Now that I think about it, you might be right. One over to go, you know it's stumps if he gets out, he's reasonably expendable in terms of a run chase (if you're relying on Boult to get the runs, batsmen haven't done their job)...yeah, I agree.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Andre Adams, season by season in the Plunket Shield since 2001-02:

2001-02: 31 wickets @ 19.45
2002-03: 3 wickets @ 20.33
2003-04: 24 wickets @ 22.04
2004-05: 29 wickets @ 20.20
2005-06: 24 wickets @ 25.58
2006-07: 32 wickets @ 18.78
**ICL**
2007-08: 29 wickets @ 8.27
2008-09: DNP
2009-10: DNP
2010-11: 16 wickets @ 24.93

In that whole time he managed to play one Test. He was hardly a flop in that Test either - he took 6 wickets @ 17.

All the while he continued to be a pretty mercurial player in one day domestic cricket and somehow managed to play 42 ODIs, displaying that same mercuriality. Excellent work from the selectors.
The Home of CricketArchive

After, I think? Ridiculous that a man with that record has played only one Test, and took 6 wickets in it at that. Whether that's the selectors' issue, his own attitude or a bit of both is up in the air.
Good work :thumbsup:

I had thought at the time that the freakish season where he averaged 9 was an aberration - didn't realise he had years of averaging 18-26 prior to that. That makes it very very strange he never played more tests for us.

The mental image I have from watching Adams in ODIs was him running in and bowling 4 or 5 different slower balls in an over. That shouldn't have affected what the selectors thought of him, though it didn't make me think of him as a test bowler.

Edit: And those were the days when, if the selectors thought someone was a promising test player, they would select them for ODIs. Only if they succeeded in the ODIs would they get to play test matches. Sigh.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
101/1 with Sinclair still in the shed. Keep it up team!

Wellington might have a wicket, but they seem to be bowling loose at times. Might need to get the allrounders on since it worked so well in the first innings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Jamie How for the black caps! :ph34r:

Would people prefer How or Watling as our backup test opener? Can't see any other options.

ND are doing better than I thought. More 10s and 20s like everyone has been scoring will get them there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Was going to say Naaaah... but the fact is he did more for NZ than either of those two so far. Still, the selectors have had Timmy Mac and they'll never go back.