• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
delkap said:
To everyone who doubts inclusion of Harmison in the XI
Go and hv a look at current ICC bowling ratings. He is no.2 I think....
Not in ODIs.

delkap said:
And for inclusion of Clarke:
Gimme a better finisher and attacker at the same time, who can take vital wickets at time (never said with good balls), and is a very good fielder.
Sarwan.

delkap said:
And why Sehwag instead of Lara in ODI's? I believe Sehwag is getting runs more consistently than Lara right now, Lara has struggled in past few series... Sehwag by his nature will get out, or destroy the opposition. There is no way anyone can drop him in "Current" ODI XI
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought Brian Lara was averaging 41.90 (2 hundreds and 5 fifties) over the past year and Sehwag averaging 33podd (1 hundred, 3 fifties). No, wait, he is. 8-)

Why Harbhajan instead of Murali in ODI's ??
Well all Murali does is bowl tightly in ODI's (which is very good to be fair) But he doesnt pick up vital wickets sometimes. Now I believe Harbhajan is a better wicket-taker than Murali in ODI's. Hence I put Murali as second choice.
At what point in his career did he suggest this? He averages 7 more runs per wicket, spins the ball less, has a higher econ. by 0.44, has a higher SR by 7 balls and 1 5w haul, Murali has 8. Do you watch cricket?

delkap said:
And I would like to hv Kallis in the XI but I wont be dropping Ponting, Dravid, Clarke, or Sehwag (2 of em I explained above). Kallis plays at no.3 and we already hv Sachin and Ponting for the spot is Sehwag opens. So he misses out. Maybe Kallis could come in at 5, but he takes some time to get set, and u would need to drop Dravid, and I believe Dravid is a big middle-order mainstay.

Hopefully this answers all questions on my selection ;)
Interestingly enough, Kallis has been more effective than both Lara and Sehwag, so I really wonder what the justification is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

delkap said:
Sarwan has had 2+ years to prove himself, and I dont see him being mentioned as a great finisher. He actually bats at 4/5 in the order. Which is same as Kallis. Clarke does bat at 6, has already given some terrific performances. And IMO will be better than Sarvan. Or for that matter better than Bevan in future.

As for Sarvan, I would rather pick Yuvraj over him....
Do you watch Sarwan bat? He's emerged not out in so many games not due luck, due finishing skills. His average of 46podd is not by chance...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
which is represented by the fact that murali has a better average and SR than harbhajan.....
i mentioned quite clearly..

i prefer harbhajan over murali, cos he is more likely to take wkts in pressure situation. Murali bowls tighter, but then he hardly gets top men out in ODI's anymore. You could hv seen the recent Aus-SL series... Onlytime he got wkts, were when aussies tried to go after him in slog overs.

Well one could argue either way, I made my preference.. U r welcome to make urs...

have you realised that this is supposed to be a current world XI?
and Harbjhajan is a current bowler isn't he ??

Waughney

International Debutant
delkap said:
i prefer harbhajan over murali, cos he is more likely to take wkts in pressure situation. Murali bowls tighter, but then he hardly gets top men out in ODI's anymore. You could hv seen the recent Aus-SL series... Onlytime he got wkts, were when aussies tried to go after him in slog overs.
The Australians played Murali with extreme caution, then picked up their runs of the lesser quality bowlers (of which their were many), in a world XI no team would be able to do this.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Do you watch Sarwan bat? He's emerged not out in so many games not due luck, due finishing skills. His average of 46podd is not by chance...
So u r saying Sarvan with ave of 46 is better than Clarke, batting ave 43.5
Ok, lets talk abt bowling...

Sarvan - 4 wkts at 56 in 61 matches ... hmm thats a tough one to beat, but lo behold..

Clarke can beat that in one match.. he has 1 5w and 1 4w haul...

and 17 wkts in 28 matches... Not bad eh !!
and he hasn't played Bangladesh either...

So a similar sort of batsman (ave suggests that, i think he is better).. plus a better bowler... i guess he wins...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
The Australians played Murali with extreme caution, then picked up their runs of the lesser quality bowlers (of which their were many), in a world XI no team would be able to do this.
okay u r all welcome to make ur pick.. i picked harbjahan, i hv stated why..
maybe depending on the situation i would pick murali.. i will leave it as a 50-50 option. But since I had to put one in the team, i took a pick...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
I thought Brian Lara was averaging 41.90 last year
Last year McGrath was the best Aussie bowler picking 7 (is it?) wkts in WC. He is struggling to be in team. Look at this year.

This is a comparision between Sehwag and Lara in 2003/04 season. I will say pretty much the same.

Sehwag 17 564 130 33.17 1 2 8 2/36 42.75 0 5 0

Lara 14 402 113 33.50 1 2 - - - - 4 0

But Sehwag did take 8 wickets. And he played most of his matches against Australia (8) and 5 matches against Pak. Arguably the 2 best bowling sides. He got the century against NZ - no slouch either. and just 2 games against Zim.

As for Lara, he played 5 against Zim, got his century against them..
5 against Saf, and 4 vs Eng

U can pick who is better on "current" performance...

tooextracool

International Coach
delkap said:
ahh so murali struggled to get top men out in ODIs.......so lets take a look at harbhajan's ODI record against australia.....

overs runs wickets best avg SR E/R
Australia 110.2 560 13 3/37 43.08 50.92 5.08

quite brilliant stats against a quality batting side arent they?brilliant bowling under pressure too......
but then maybe harbhajan wasnt bowling at his best in most of those games....so lets take a look at his record when he was....

2000-2001 IND v AUS 47 237 4 3/37 59.25 70.50 5.04

lets take a look at muralis record.....
Australia 208.2 853 33 4/27 25.85 37.88 4.09

its a baseless stupid argument really.....

delkap said:
and Harbjhajan is a current bowler isn't he ??
current world XI = based on current form! you keep bond out because hes been injured for a while, yet when harbhajan has been out for 6 months you put him ahead of a better bowler?

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
ahh so murali struggled to get top men out in ODIs.......so lets take a look at harbhajan's ODI record against australia.....

Australia 110.2 560 13 3/37 43.08 50.92 5.08

quite brilliant stats against a quality batting side arent they?brilliant bowling under pressure too......
but then maybe harbhajan wasnt bowling at his best in most of those games....so lets take a look at his record when he was....

2000-2001 IND v AUS 47 237 4 3/37 59.25 70.50 5.04

lets take a look at muralis record.....
Australia 208.2 853 33 4/27 25.85 37.88 4.09

its a baseless stupid argument really.....

current world XI = based on current form! you keep bond out because hes been injured for a while, yet when harbhajan has been out for 6 months you put him ahead of a better bowler?
look what i just wrote above !!! ok i'll help u...

okay u r all welcome to make ur pick.. i picked harbjahan, i hv stated why..
maybe depending on the situation i would pick murali.. i will leave it as a 50-50 option. But since I had to put one in the team, i took a pick...

tooextracool

International Coach
delkap said:
U can pick who is better on "current" performance...
oh yes how convenient......when you choose between murali and harbhajan you dont look at "current" performance then do you? with a broken finger harbhajan was bowling better than murali 8-)

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
oh yes how convenient......when you choose between murali and harbhajan you dont look at "current" performance then do you? with a broken finger harbhajan was bowling better than murali 8-)
for ur info, harbhajan has announced himself fit.. so he is available isn't he ??

tooextracool

International Coach
delkap said:
for ur info, harbhajan has announced himself fit.. so he is available isn't he ??
yes and you can guarantee me that on his comeback he is suddenly going to improve leaps and bounds and start bowling better than murali can you?

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
and if you had to choose between rikki clarke and andrew flintoff it would still be 50-50!
if rikki clarke can take 32 wkts in a series against aussies, yeah i would !!
never mind its test or not.. he got those wkts against the best team under pressure. And he didn't need to bowl 60 overs in an innings like Murali to do it. Oh and a smal matter that he actually won the game... but thats going away from point, i'll concede murali is better bowler.. but is he more effective in odi's, i am undecided...

delkap

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
yes and you can guarantee me that on his comeback he is suddenly going to improve leaps and bounds and start bowling better than murali can you?
can u guarantee otherwise? or can u even gurantee murali will bowl "as good as u think he bowls" ?

tooextracool

International Coach
delkap said:
if rikki clarke can take 32 wkts in a series against aussies, yeah i would !!
never mind its test or not.. he got those wkts against the best team under pressure. And he didn't need to bowl 60 overs in an innings like Murali to do it. Oh and a smal matter that he actually won the game... but thats going away from point, i'll concede murali is better bowler.. but is he more effective in odi's, i am undecided...
what is the point of talking about test matches here?they are 2 completely different games and if the fact that murali has better averages and S/Rs against every cricketing nation than harbhajan in ODIs isnt good enough to convince you that hes a better bowler than harbhajan then obviously you should give up watching cricket.

_Ed_

Didn't Murali take 7 wickets in an ODI innings once? Held the record before Vaas broke it with his 8-19 I think, not certain though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You'd be correct. Murali took 7-30 against India at Sharjah in October 2000 to break Aaqib Javed's questionable LBW-filled 7-37, which had stood for nine years and two days. Murali's record stood for just over a year before Chaminda took 8-19 against the Zimbabweans at the SSC in Colombo.

Since then, Glenn McGrath (7-15 against Namibia) and Andy Bichel (7-20 against England) have surpassed Murali's figures.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
He didn't select Clarke for his batting ability relative to Kallis, he chose him because he beleives he is a good finisher and there is no need for another big score batsmen. He might also of chosen him to bring more balance to the side (sloggers-consistent scorers-finishers).
Oh brilliant then. Ingenius. There are two options:

A bloke who is a fairly good bat and an average bowler who can "finish games well" (By the way I disagree with this, Kallis has finished off many games before and Clarke has hardly ever done so himself.)

Or you can pick a bloke who is one of the worlds best batsmen, a quality bowler and an experienced player.

Oh I know, lets choose Clarke. :dry: :wacko: ( :blink: )

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My Best Current Test Side

1. Best Opener in the world
2. 2nd best opener in the world
3. Best batsman in the world (This will please all Australian, West Indian and Indian fans) :p
4. Best right handed middle order batsman
5. Best left handed middle order batsman (I bet all West Indians are confused) :p
6. The best all rounder in the world (I bet this place is never going to be filled)
7. Gilchrist
8. Best Fast Bowler in the world
9. 2nd best fast bowler in the world
10. Best Spinner in the world (This should please all Australians and Sri Lankans)
11. Steve Harmison (Ahh . some relief for the Poms ) :D