• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

JBH001

International Regular
It is a current side though - is it not?

I dont think Lara has done enough (barring 400 runs in one inning in a dead rubber) to be really considered for a Current World XII.
So he does not make it into my side - Thorpe is my 'money' and 'perform under pressure' man and I wanted a left hander in the middle order.

You are correct about Pollock - I wanted to include Cairns in there somewhere but he has retired and cannot be considered.
Who else for 12th man then?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JBH001 said:
It is a current side though - is it not?

I dont think Lara has done enough (barring 400 runs in one inning in a dead rubber) to be really considered for a Current World XII.
So he does not make it into my side - Thorpe is my 'money' and 'perform under pressure' man and I wanted a left hander in the middle order.
Lara scored the second most runs of any batsman last year and his stats over the last 3 years...

3297 runs @ 71.67
11 hundreds
11 fifties
1 duck every 9 Tests

He's played 9 series in that time and averged under 50 only twice, one of those times he averaged 49.66 and 4 times he averaged over 80, twice over 100.

Brian Lara has been at his best over the last 3 years and if Brian Lara at his best can't get into a World XI team, then is he really that great a player?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For good measure, Graham Thorpe's last 3 years...

1587 runs @ 52.90 (10 less innings than Lara)
5 hundreds
7 fifties
1 duck every 22 matches

He's played 10 series and averaged over 50 in 5 of them, but twice he's averaged in the 40s. He's averaged over 90 twice and over 100 once.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
My Best Current Test Side

1. Best Opener in the world Hayden
2. 2nd best opener in the world Richardson
3. Best batsman in the world (This will please all Australian, West Indian and Indian fans) :p Tendulkar
4. Best right handed middle order batsman Dravid
5. Best left handed middle order batsman (I bet all West Indians are confused) :p Lara
6. The best all rounder in the world (I bet this place is never going to be filled)Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Best Fast Bowler in the worldPollock
9. 2nd best fast bowler in the worldShoaib
10. Best Spinner in the world (This should please all Australians and Sri Lankans)Muralitaharan
11. Steve Harmison (Ahh . some relief for the Poms ) :D
In Summary

Hayden
Richardson
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara(c)
Kallis
Gilchrist(wk)
Pollock
Shoaib
Murralli
Harmison

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Ponting doesn't open, and there don't seem to be any places open for him unless you remove one of Lara, Dravid, Tendulkar or Kallis.

I would probably have Smith instead of Hayden in there as well.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:
^Ponting doesn't open, and there don't seem to be any places open for him unless you remove one of Lara, Dravid, Tendulkar or Kallis.

I would probably have Smith instead of Hayden in there as well.
But he is a better batsman than Richardson and on the last 2 years Tendulkar as well.

I know Ponting is not an oppener but he is one of the top 4 batsman in the world and should not be left out.

Waughney

International Debutant
Dasa said:
He would still score more runs than Richardson and being a no.3 he would be accustomed to facing the new ball.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jamee999 said:
In Summary

Hayden
Richardson
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara(c)
Kallis
Gilchrist(wk)
Pollock
Shoaib
Murralli
Harmison
Not a bad effort but don't Richardson, Shoaib and Harmison appear to be too good to be in such humble company :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
But he is a better batsman than Richardson and on the last 2 years Tendulkar as well.
yes tendulkar has been in the worst form of his life over the last year or so which might not be represented in the averages but is clearly observable, while ponting has been in the best form of his life. this discussion shouldnt even be taking place IMO...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Im going to disclude Australians, just to make it harder to pick.

Test XI

1. M Richardson
2. G Smith
3. R Dravid
4. S Tendulkar
5. B Lara
6. J Kallis
7. G Jones (I know Im going to cop a blasting for this, but meh)
8. S Pollock
9. A Kumble
10. S Harmison
11. M Muralitharan

ODI XI

1. V Sehwag
2. S Tendulkar
3. J Kallis
4. B Lara
5. R Dravid
6. S Ganguly
7. M Boucher
8. H Streak (okay, not current, but meh)
9. S Pollock
10. C Vaas
11. M Muralitharan

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is there is too much bias on the CW. So let me put a totally unbiased current world X1 (same side for both tests and ODI's)

Marcus Trescothic
Vaughan
Butcher
Thorpe
Flintoff
Read
Giles
Caddick
Gough
Harmison

I know that makes only ten. Actualy there should be another batsman in the side but I cant recall his name right now :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I belive youll find his name is Andrew Strauss.

But the funny thing is that isnt even the correct England side! And they definately dont have the same side for tests and ODIs.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
I belive youll find his name is Andrew Strauss.

But the funny thing is that isnt even the correct England side! And they definately dont have the same side for tests and ODIs.
Oh thanks. I kept thinking it was Albatross or something. :p

Oh England really have different sides for ODI's and tests ? Now why havent I noticed :wacko:

Actually this isnt an England side, it is the best current , if not all time, test side..remember .

Come on Prince, I am kidding. Goes back quite a bit to my first posting on this thread.