• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 32 - Bangladesh v Netherlands

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This game isn't over by any stretch. If Tamim falls early anything could happen..

Stapel

International Regular
What a hopelessly self-destructing innings. Howmany batsmen actually did get out as the result of good bowling????

Challis

U19 12th Man
I liked Mahbubul Alam. What happened to him? He was capable of swinging it both ways and was fairly quick.
Mahbabul Alam Robin is bowling in the nets to the World Cup Squad. Actually, he recorded a video of the celebrations in the dressing room after the England win, it's up on youtube if anyone is interested.
He is probably the best swinger (Ooh Er Missus!) in the country but like many other fast bowlers from Bangladesh, he has the problem of inconsistency, also he lacks a bit of pace and control. But he has been working hard with Ian Pont and Pont rates him.
The main problem is before Pont arrived there was little or no infrastructure available to the fast bowlers in Bangladesh. The country and board seem to be obsessed with spin bowling, take a look at the pitches prepared, hardly any help to pacers. Since Pont's arrival he's had to teach the basics to the bowlers, even the experienced ones, this tells you what it was like before he came. The fast bowling coaching in the domestics and youth setup is limited at best.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Jonathon Trott may disagree with you on Shafiul not having done anything of any note.
I think it's easy to forget but they are both only around 20 years old and are asked to lead the attack. Mortaza is always injured and Shahadat Hossain even more inconsistent than themselves, so it's not been easy for them at the start of their careers without an experienced teammate to guide them, but they definitely have potential and have improved tremendously under Ian Pont. I think this two will be bowling for Bangladesh for many years.
Was about to say something similar myself. It hasn't hsaappened very often for Shafiul but during his opening spell at Old Trafford he looked absolute world class. Given his superior batting and fielding, I'd be at least tempted to have him ahead of Munaf or Nehra. On current form he's a much better bet than Nehra.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What a hopelessly self-destructing innings. Howmany batsmen actually did get out as the result of good bowling????
You aren't kidding. Just been out the replays. de Grooth and Seelaar probably escape criticism, but aside from them it was horrible to watch. 4 run outs and a stumping? Eeeuww.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tbf, you could argue that the good bowling built the pressure, which increased the need for quick singles, which led to run-outs.

cnerd123

likes this
Bet365 odds:

Bangladesh 1/16 (1.06)
Netherlands 10/1 (11.00)

Stick a fork in her, etc
I'd be tempted to place a small wager on Netherlands.
Actually, I'm legally allowed to. Hmm...

@Challis: Nice to hear Alam's still in the frame. Agree than Pont has done a lot of good for BD's pace stocks.

Really, all BD have to do is just screw their heads on straight, and keep improving. Around 2007 they showed so much potential with Dav Whatmore at the helm, but once he left they kinda went into limbo for the next 2 years. Hopefully they're back on track now, I'd love for Pont and Siddons to hang around till the next World Cup.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Is anyone else watching the sky coverage? How miserable is Attapatu, dismissing the Bangladeshi seam bowling as ordinary, he can't even credit Shafiul for bowling well at the start, dismising it as "spot bowling"

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Mahbabul Alam Robin is bowling in the nets to the World Cup Squad. Actually, he recorded a video of the celebrations in the dressing room after the England win, it's up on youtube if anyone is interested.
He is probably the best swinger (Ooh Er Missus!) in the country but like many other fast bowlers from Bangladesh, he has the problem of inconsistency, also he lacks a bit of pace and control. But he has been working hard with Ian Pont and Pont rates him.
The main problem is before Pont arrived there was little or no infrastructure available to the fast bowlers in Bangladesh. The country and board seem to be obsessed with spin bowling, take a look at the pitches prepared, hardly any help to pacers. Since Pont's arrival he's had to teach the basics to the bowlers, even the experienced ones, this tells you what it was like before he came. The fast bowling coaching in the domestics and youth setup is limited at best.
That's good to hear. Remember him bowling some beauts when he toured South Africa, think he got Graeme Smith with an unplayable delivery that swung crazy and very late.

Challis

U19 12th Man
I'd be tempted to place a small wager on Netherlands.
Actually, I'm legally allowed to. Hmm...

@Challis: Nice to hear Alam's still in the frame. Agree than Pont has done a lot of good for BD's pace stocks.

Really, all BD have to do is just screw their heads on straight, and keep improving. Around 2007 they showed so much potential with Dav Whatmore at the helm, but once he left they kinda went into limbo for the next 2 years. Hopefully they're back on track now, I'd love for Pont and Siddons to hang around till the next World Cup.
This is because they lost a lot of players to ICL: Habibul Bashar, Shariar Nafees, Alok Kapali, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Dhiman Ghosh, Nazimuddin, Farhad Reza, Tapash Baisya etc That's a good chunk of experience and promising youth that left the national setup. This is often forgotten or ignored when people criticise Bangladesh's performances and results in the past few years. Imagine if there was a similar exodus of players from the other teams, how would they have responded?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Bashar and Rafique were already retired at the point. Baisya was on his way out, Nazimuddin and Ghosh were barely in the side; fringe players, and Kapali wasn't clicking at international level anyways. Only Nafees, Aftab and Reza could be considered as key players lost.

Nafees is on his way back, wonder where Aftab has gone too.

cnerd123

likes this
And there goes Tamim. Ordinary shot.

Sigh, I hate being right. And Tamim, so disappointing for someone as ambitious and talented as him.

EDIT: Actually wrong about Tamim getting a blazing 40 odd. But on track for the BD loss prediction.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Netherlands are still in this I feel. Tamin going out for a duck will really help them.