• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 26 - Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

salman85

International Debutant
I think this has got to be the most boring match of the tournament so far.Sure,the Srilankan openers are having a ball,but meh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah you mean in Kandy. Ooops.

Not sure if I agree with salman, yesterday's match was very low intensity too. Been a bit of a yawn though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not surprised that even against Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka has opted to use a flat pitch in Kandy, whereas Pakistan had to play on the one that had grass.
All pitches in SL seam a bit under lights in the first 15 overs and NZ exploited it very well. That's why batting first in SL is a big advantage... I think the highest successful chase there is only around 300.

Spark

Global Moderator
For some reason I find it absolutely impossible to enjoy anything Tharanga does. At all.

salman85

International Debutant
I have the same attitude towards Dilshan.It's like every run he scores is pointless,boring and useless.

I just have a weird feeling that the only non-Srilankans watching this match are posting in this thread :sleep:

I'm so bored that even his century celebration kinda pissed me off.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
All pitches in SL seam a bit under lights in the first 15 overs and NZ exploited it very well. That's why batting first in SL is a big advantage... I think the highest successful chase there is only around 300.
That's a fair comment, but have you seen the pitch in today's match, there is no grass; it's dead (Big surprise). In the Pakistan and New Zealand game the pitch had grass on it. It's really not fair that the host nations get to prepare whatever pitch they want.

salman85

International Debutant
And we are well on board for an insanely high first innings score.Srilanka to score over 350.And Dilshan to get a 200* :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
I have the same attitude towards Dilshan.It's like every run he scores is pointless,boring and useless.

I just have a weird feeling that the only non-Srilankans watching this match are posting in this thread :sleep:

I'm so bored that even his century celebration kinda pissed me off.
I like Dilshan. He's fearless, inventive and hits the ball quite hard. Good player to watch.

Tharanga though... he's orthodox but not particularly stylish. A bit muscular without being particularly powerful. Not wonderfully elegant, doesn't have the best timing, doesn't have the widest array of strokes, doesn't work the strike all that well etc. etc. He's just utterly uninteresting to me. I'd much rather that he had some rubbish technique which is horribly unorthodox but works somehow.

vcs

Haha, I also don't like watching Tharanga (he joins a long line of non-descript SL openers including Paranavitana, Gunawardene, Vandort, Warnapura etc.). Dilshan is a gun but I don't find him entertaining like Sehwag, Gilchrist even though he's explosive, for some reason.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah Dilshan's nowhere near the list of my favourite players to watch, but he's not boring. But there is a long long list of players I'd rather watch.

I don't dislike Tharanga, ofc, I just don't derive any enjoyment from watching him bat.

vcs

That's a fair comment, but have you seen the pitch in today's match, there is no grass; it's dead (Big surprise). In the Pakistan and New Zealand game the pitch had grass on it. It's really not fair that the host nations get to prepare whatever pitch they want.
I think it always looks a bit spicier than it actually is under lights, especially if you have a big score to defend. And NZ had all the momentum going their way at the innings break, so it wasn't a surprise.

salman85

International Debutant
I've never been able to rate Dilshan as a player.The same goes for everyone in their team minus Murali,Mahela and Sangakarra.They have good players,but not the kind that i would look on a teamsheet and feel nervous about.I used to find their team very exciting in the past,but it's just not there anymore.It's like every player on their team,minus the ones i mentioned,is a slightly above average player who can play the occasional good role,but not be your signature match winner.Kind of like the English ODI sides of the past,where they had all these bits and pieces players in there.None capable of reaching truly world class status.

Flawed judgement perhaps,but just my two cents.

Last edited:

vcs

I've never been able to rate Dilshan as a player.The same goes for everyone in their team minus Murali,Mahela and Sangakarra.They have good players,but not the kind that i would look on a teamsheet and feel nervous about.I used to find their team very exciting in the past,but it's just not there anymore.It's like every player on their team,minus the ones i mentioned,is a slightly above average player who can play the occasional good role,but not be your signature match winner.Kind of like the English ODI sides of the past,where they had all these bits and pieces players in there.None capable of reaching truly world class status.

Flawed judgement perhaps,but just my two cents.
Oft-used cliche, but they are a very good team.

salman85

International Debutant
Tharanga's playing for the century now of course.He won't get a better chance than this game.