• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Justin Langer Tribute Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for the many fantastic memories Justin :)

Undeservedly he was probably the most underrated, unhyped player in the whole Australian team during his entire career. After making a name for himself as a fighter, gritty batsmen early in his career, he later on showed his attacking prowess, and afaic his cover drive was one of the best in international cricket.

The two innings Fuller mentioned were two of my 3 favourite Langer innings, the other being what i beleive was his career defining innings, when he slammed 102 retired hurt, in England 2001. He not only ended Michael Slaters illustrious career with this fantastic knock, but he made the perfect start to what is now arguably Australia's greatest ever Opening partnership with Matthew Hayden.

Thanks again 'Alf', enjoy retirement, you deserve to :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He did used to annoy me slightly a few years back, every other article I read on him seemed to mention he was a black-belt in X or Y martial art & this, coupled with his slightly chippy on-field demeanour, meant I assumed he had something of the short-man's Napoleon-complex. Which is insanely harsh, but 15 years of getting your arse kicked does that to a sports-fan...

Anyway, suffice to say I've come right around on the little fella & now admire him immensely. Balls of steel. Sort of bloke you'd want in the trenches with you.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Seemes to me, to be a bit of a prick in this series really. Nearly made 3 people drop catches by running into them, and showing off before he caught it. Tremendous player though, and seems to be a pretty good bloke on the whole, will be missed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, like Fuller, the one knock which defines Langer for me was his 190+ vs. Pakistan in 2004 at the WACA. Was unbelievable.

Will definitely be missed.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Top bat, underrated compared to his partner. He's always been one of my favourite Aussie players and I like watching him bat.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, like Fuller, the one knock which defines Langer for me was his 190+ vs. Pakistan in 2004 at the WACA. Was unbelievable.

Will definitely be missed.
His 160+ vs SRI @ Colombo 2004 could match with that as well, since we all know the struggles he has had throughout career vs top-quality spin. That knock IMO just nudges out the WACA knock as the best of his career.