• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India Tour of South Africa, 2023/24

Molehill

International Captain
Nah it seamed around a lot off the pitch on the first two days. England got bowled out for 60-odd in the sun! Turned into an absolute road by Day 4 though.
I was there for Day 3 (Stokes 2 in 50 balls!!) and it was an absolute scorcher. The pitch was damp the first couple of days which caused the early mayhem. Something seemed to happen halfway through the Aussie first innings, they lost 8-43 (from 136-2) soon to be followed by England's 67 all out. Just a weird couple of days of cricket, Day 3 was pretty normal and turgid cricket (typical) and then Day 4.....

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
There can definitely be greentops that get worse and worse in Australia, especially Perth; if the pitch has too much grass and is too soft, then what can happen is that you get a raging but actually somewhat consistent bouncy greentop which can be very difficult to survive on but has great value for shots on Day 1, but once the brutal heat bakes all the indentations and divots into the pitch it gets faster, but inconsistent in both bounce and pace and becomes close to impossible to bat on by Day 4. I think the Perth Test this summer might have been an example of that; it's clear that batting got way harder as the Test wore on and it wasn't exactly a road to start with. Those are rare outside of Perth and SA though.
That sounds like a perfect pitch, especially if it is actually getting to a day 4. Keep rolling those out. Please.

Xix2565

International Debutant
My point was more that decks that rag on day 1 and keep low for the spinners (2nd and 3rd test of the last border gavaskar are a good example) are just going to get worse and worse. A greentop isn't or shouldn't in theory cause a bunch of spinners aren't bowling over and over. It's not a pink ball thing.
Think the danger of fast bowling on such wickets should be more relevant than pitch behaviour over the days.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My point was more that decks that rag on day 1 and keep low for the spinners (2nd and 3rd test of the last border gavaskar are a good example) are just going to get worse and worse. A greentop isn't or shouldn't in theory cause a bunch of spinners aren't bowling over and over. It's not a pink ball thing.
If it's such a green top that the game is over on Day 2 it doesn't really matter if the pitch gets worse or not, tbf.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I think younger players don’t have much apetite for Test. I see Test becoming extended version of ODI in next 10 years .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
6 demerit points over 5 years is pretty damn hard to rack up lol

Imagine a ground that has a ****ty pitch for 6 games (or is completely unfit for play in 2) and then just receives a 1 year ban from hosting international cricket

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
6 demerit points over 5 years is pretty damn hard to rack up lol

Imagine a ground that has a ****ty pitch for 6 games (or is completely unfit for play in 2) and then just receives a 1 year ban from hosting international cricket
#SCGSoSpinny