• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of New Zealand 2019

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Shows the pointlessness of "going to snicko to confirm" ... if it shows nothing, what do you do then? I thought after Llong's f up they said the correct protocol was to just go with hotspot if it clearly shows an edge and not get into any other systems?

I used to do the same uni course as Shaun Haig in Dunedin, so always follow his performance and he's usually very good, so I'm disappointed to see that. Feel bad for him, and Mitchell too.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
What shambles, come on he's smashed it... Such a waste of time and why's he given out? Never seen a worse decision than that. Can someone explain how's that out?
I can be wrong but whenever there is a series in India, hotspot technology is almost never used in DRS. So maybe they consider RTS as more authentic way of telling if bat hit the ball?

nzfan

I can be wrong but whenever there is a series in India, hotspot technology is almost never used in DRS. So maybe they consider RTS as more authentic way of telling if bat hit the ball?
In that case what's the hot spot used for? Why have it in the first place?

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
In that case what's the hot spot used for? Why have it in the first place?
Maybe just for reference. As far as I know, hotspot is used exclusively in Aus, NZ, Eng. So its very much possible that its not a part of DRS officially. No matter how illogical the conclusion is, they can't rely on it.

nzfan

On this ground CDG is going to be fine I think. He can comfortably smash without worrying about getting caught.

The Hutt Rec

Here's the ICC's guidance on using hot spot ... although it's talking about a caught behind, so reverse out and not out for an LBW that has an edge:

ESPNcricinfo has confirmed that umpires make their deliberations under instructions that Real-time Snicko (RTS) is only to be used if Hot Spot does not show a mark.

"If the umpire gives it out [and it is reviewed], the third umpire will look at the spin-vision replay to start with, then he'll go to Hot Spot," Geoff Allardice, the ICC head of cricket operations, had said when explaining the introduction of RTS in 2013. "If there's a mark on Hot Spot he'll go straight to out. That's his conclusive evidence straight away. The only time Snicko will be used is if there's no mark on Hot Spot."
Did Lyon decision contravene ICC directive for DRS? | Cricket | ESPNcricinfo.com