• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in West Indies

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He looks a better prospect than Sreesanth IMO.
Sreesanth has bowled rubbish this tour, but I'm not sure how much you saw of him against England but he showed a hell of a lot of promise. He used the crease well, and bowled with his brain too. I think its far too early to write VRV off, but I'd say at the moment I'd bank on Sreesanth having a better future, for one becuase he looks like he wants it the most out of all Indian pace prospects. More so than Patel, who I think is more naturally talented but sometimes gets far too lazy.

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
Sreesanth has bowled rubbish this tour, but I'm not sure how much you saw of him against England but he showed a hell of a lot of promise. He used the crease well, and bowled with his brain too. I think its far too early to write VRV off, but I'd say at the moment I'd bank on Sreesanth having a better future, for one becuase he looks like he wants it the most out of all Indian pace prospects. More so than Patel, who I think is more naturally talented but sometimes gets far too lazy.
Even English fans were impressed by Sreesanth and Munaf after the England series, and that says a lot considering they're used to guys like Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison and Jones. Munaf seems to decide not to give his 100% more than half the time and then randomly comes up with lethal spells where he bowls fast and full. This could be due to poor attitude or poor stamina; I'm not sure which situation is worse. Sreesanth looked far more menacing against England where he worked up the radar and troubled the likes of Pietersen. Hopefully poor fitness was the reason for his lackluster performance in the first test. As for VRV, he gets some pace and good bounce and has shown that he can bowl wicket-taking deliveries at the highest level. Indeed, it's too early to say much positive or negative about his future in Indian cricket.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
Munaf seems to decide not to give his 100% more than half the time and then randomly comes up with lethal spells where he bowls fast and full. This could be due to poor attitude or poor stamina; I'm not sure which situation is worse.
That sounds EXACTLY like a description of 2005 Daren Powell. He should be in the team now ahead of Jerome Taylor IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What's with this recent facination with bowling fast and full anyway? Yes, I know its been a fad since W started it in Pakistan, but we don't have anyone close to that calibre in the current team.

Indian bowlers can bowl full, but not fast...and definatly not accuratly (with any sort of consistency)

And whatever the hell happened to bowling fast and good length accurately? You can have your fast and full, or fast and short spells....and I'll take good line and length at 85kph any day of the week (McGrath).

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
And whatever the hell happened to bowling fast and good length accurately? You can have your fast and full, or fast and short spells....and I'll take good line and length at 85kph any day of the week (McGrath).
Sounds like Agarkar during the ODI series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sounds like Agarkar during the ODI series.

Yea, and it works. Indian bowlers aren't going to tear sides apart like W&W did, or WI did a decade a ago. We have to concentrate on bowling at a decent speed (84-87mph), but bowling it very accuratly. I'd rather have a McGrath over a Shoib Akhtar/Brett Lee any day of the week.

We have this morbid facination with extreme pace (maybe because we usually only recieve it) and ignore bowlers with Hoggard pace who are accurate and consistently do well. I mean, is anyone seriously going to tell me that they wouldn't take Hoggard over ANYONE in the indian bowling line up since Kapil Dev of the 80's?

You do need some pace (more than Pathan) but forget this BS about 'fast and full'. How many reverse swinging yorkers at 90+ mph do you think Munaf Patel can deliver anyway (hint: its a number that rhymes with hero)?

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
I mean, is anyone seriously going to tell me that they wouldn't take Hoggard over ANYONE in the indian bowling line up since Kapil Dev of the 80's?
Javagal Srinath?

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
What's with this recent facination with bowling fast and full anyway? Yes, I know its been a fad since W started it in Pakistan, but we don't have anyone close to that calibre in the current team.

Indian bowlers can bowl full, but not fast...and definatly not accuratly (with any sort of consistency)

You obviously didn't watch Munaf's final spell in the 2nd test, because he was bowling consistently on middle and off at 87 mph. Not express, but fast enough.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Yea, and it works. Indian bowlers aren't going to tear sides apart like W&W did, or WI did a decade a ago. We have to concentrate on bowling at a decent speed (84-87mph), but bowling it very accuratly. I'd rather have a McGrath over a Shoib Akhtar/Brett Lee any day of the week.

We have this morbid facination with extreme pace (maybe because we usually only recieve it) and ignore bowlers with Hoggard pace who are accurate and consistently do well. I mean, is anyone seriously going to tell me that they wouldn't take Hoggard over ANYONE in the indian bowling line up since Kapil Dev of the 80's?

You do need some pace (more than Pathan) but forget this BS about 'fast and full'. How many reverse swinging yorkers at 90+ mph do you think Munaf Patel can deliver anyway (hint: its a number that rhymes with hero)?
I'm not sure about the rest, but I certainly am not expecting or hoping for an Indian Shoaib Akhtar anytime soon because it just isn't likely at all. There is a fascination with pace because with all things constant, more pace will make you more dangerous. I don't want guys who bowl fast (high 80s) but spray it all over the place. Matthew Hoggard is a swing bowler; good swing bowlers are hard to find so don't compare him with the Indian seamers bar Pathan (our only "swing bowler"). By the way, Munaf Patel did bowl a few reverse swinging yorkers at 87-88 mph if not 90 mph against England. There's no comparison with Waqar right now, but don't go overboard saying Munaf is useless.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
There was some doubt about whether the Windies would play tomorrow. That's due to them not getting their tour contracts yet to sign. They've been playing the India series in 'good faith'. Apparently the president of the WICB was in Germany watching the World Cup. Also, some players are having to face a difficult decision with regards to going on teh WI A Tour to England or playing in the upcoming 20/20 tournament. Somehow the dates clashed.8-)

adharcric

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
There was some doubt about whether the Windies would play tomorrow. That's due to them not getting their tour contracts yet to sign. They've been playing the India series in 'good faith'. Apparently the president of the WICB was in Germany watching the World Cup. Also, some players are having to face a difficult decision with regards to going on teh WI A Tour to England or playing in the upcoming 20/20 tournament. Somehow the dates clashed.8-)
Well, Lara says they will play tomorrow. Nevertheless, that WICB prez is an idiot.

adharcric

International Coach
Bravo is questionable for tomorrow's match and we will have to wait until then to find out whether he will play or not. Ganga hasn't done much of note in the first two tests, but he should partner Gayle at the top once again as the other options lack experience. Samuels should come in, especially if Bravo can't play. Even Morton has a chance if Bravo is out: Morton at six and Samuels at seven will make a deeper lineup although Bravo is always valuable to this side.

Expect the Indians to continue with six batsmen after Chappell and Dravid both came out in support of that approach. While Kumble and Patel are certainties, the rest of the bowling attack depends on the pitch. If it supports the seamers, we'll see a 3-1 combination; if it supports the spinners, it should be 2-2; something in between or a flat track is the only chance that we get a 3-2 combination and one less batsman. As for who will get the nod among Pathan, Sreesanth and VRV ... it's pretty much wide open. Pathan is the most experienced, Sreesanth has been the best lately and the team sees a lot of promise in VRV.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:

Agree in totality.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Without being swayed by the odd good spell or the odd bad one, one can say that of the new comers taken on this tour Munaf and Sreesanth have easily the most talent.

Munaf bowls a very consistent line and length and if someone compared him to McGrath somewhere here it was only to compliment him on his terrific consistency of bowling in the 'corridor'

Sreesanth bowls very spiritidly and is aggressive without letting his aggression make him bowl rubbish as some Indian and Sri Lankan bowlers tend to do. He may not have bowled very well on this tour but overall he has been a revelation because he was the least hyped of the youngsters till he played for India.

VRV has recieved far too much hype. He does bowl faster than others but bowls tripe far too often and doesnt seem to be a thinking bowler. He appears to just come in and bowl. Of all the youngsters seen this season (including RP Singh) he has been the most disappointing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
I distinctly remember him doing it in consecutive balls against England. But let's not let facts get in the way of a rant where one is preaching to the choir.

Haven't you cried about Indian pace only a few days back anyway?