• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Bhajji is out but Pathan reaches a 100. Excellent job by him, in foreign conditions. I know the ball must have been doing things early, but our entire top order, bar Ganguly, needs to hang its head in shame that Pathan and Bhajji scored 47 and 111* respectively and they couldn't do anything.

True! Its just plain stupid! Let Pathan open the batting.......im only joking! But, hey, Ganguly should definitely be selcted now!

Gambhir
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathn
Bhajji
Zaheer
Kumble
Munaf ( or sreesanth if munaf is injured)

What do u think??

Dravid

International Captain
Nishant said:
True! Its just plain stupid! Let Pathan open the batting.......im only joking! But, hey, Ganguly should definitely be selcted now!

Gambhir
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathn
Bhajji
Zaheer
Kumble

What do u think??
I wouldn't mind giving Jaffer ago. He did get a 200 earlier this year. However if he fails in the second innings, then I'm all in for Gambhir.

adharcric

International Coach
Nishant said:

Gambhir
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathn
Bhajji
Zaheer
Kumble

What do u think??
Uhh ... no. You want to drop Laxman already? India will either play six batsmen or promote Dravid to the opener's spot, the latter being the stupid move.

Jaffer (Gambhir if Jaffer fails again in the 2nd innings)
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth

Really, nothing is settled yet. A lot depends on how Ganguly, Pathan, Sreesanth, VRV and Harbhajan bowl tomorrow. That will determine whether the management will feel comfortable with only four bowlers and on top with Pathan being one of them.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South African side for the first test match (and series), hopefully they don’t opt for a spinner, captain Smith is better option than either Boje or Adams.

Squad Graeme Smith (Capt), Jacques Kallis, Paul Adams, Hashim Amla, Nicky Boje, Mark Boucher (wk), AB de Villiers, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Hall, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Shaun Pollock, Ashwell Prince, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn

My side would look something like this

AB
Smith
Kallis
Gibbs
Alma (Possibly Hall dependent on the wicket)
Prince
Boucher
Pollock
Nel
Steyn
Ntini

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
CW report:

A maiden first-class century from Irfan Pathan rescued India from a potentially embarrassing situation on the opening day of their tour match against the Rest of South Africa in Potchefstroom.

After being asked to bat first by Jaques Rudolph, India quickly found themselves 1-2 after just seven balls, with both Wasim Jaffer and Virender Sehwag falling for ducks. Stand-in captain VVS Laxman and Sachin Tendulkar steadied the innings, but neither could capitalise on solid starts, as India slumped to 69 for five against some incisive bowling from Morne Morkel.

If there as an ideal situation to make an impression on comeback, this was it. Sourav Ganguly demonstrated the class that has brought him over 15,000 international runs as he counterattacked after lunch. Even a crack to the side of the helmet from a fearsome Nantie Hayward bouncer could not prevent the former Test captain from outshining his team-mates as he lashed 13 boundaries in a 141-ball 83.

Having joined Ganguly at the fall of the fifth wicket, Pathan appeared at ease with the pace and bounce in the wicket, matching his senior partner boundary-for-boundary. Both were especially dominant against Paul Adams, the slow left arm bowler recalled today into the full South African Test side, who conceded 54 runs from nine overs. With the Indian positioned firmly secured as the tea interval approached, Pathan took centre stage and crashed his way to fifty in 81 balls.

Even the departure of Ganguly, caught behind off Friedel de Wet after a sixth-wicket stand of 139, did not slow Pathan; indeed, the arrival of Harbhajan Singh at the crease serenaded an increase in the tempo. In his usual unorthodox style, the off-spinner opened his shoulders to clatter a 47, including two sixes off Adams, before perishing to mid-on late in the day. Pathan meanwhile continued to impress, bringing up his hundred by depositing Jean-Paul Duminy into the stands at mid-wicket. India closed the day on a more than healthy 316 for seven, with Pathan finishing on 111 from 176 balls, with 15 fours and the one solitary maximum. He will resume tomorrow with Zaheer Khan, who survived being dropped in the gully off Morkel, who was a constant threat.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Ganguly in the runs and Pathan played well and formed a good partnership with Harbhajan down the order. Disappionted with the top order though, they didn't contribute enough runs against a reasonable attack. Good to see Morne Morkel in the wickets though, he looks to be one of the good up and coming seamers in South Africa. No idea why they recalled Paul Adams for the tests, sure he has a good record against the Indians but I would've thought they would want to operate with 4 seamers with Kallis, Smith and de Villiers as support.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Good to see Ganguly in the runs and Pathan played well and formed a good partnership with Harbhajan down the order. Disappionted with the top order though, they didn't contribute enough runs against a reasonable attack. Good to see Morne Morkel in the wickets though, he looks to be one of the good up and coming seamers in South Africa. No idea why they recalled Paul Adams for the tests, sure he has a good record against the Indians but I would've thought they would want to operate with 4 seamers with Kallis, Smith and de Villiers as support.
Unless the forthcoming test wickets resemble St John's there is hardly no chance of AB turning his arm over.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe not but I thought if South Africa needed spin they would turn to Smith and de Villiers before Paul Adams.

R_D

International Debutant
Good to see Dada score some runs.... i guess he's pretty much guranteed himself a spot in the 1st test now. SHame on the top order for failing for.. lost count now. Last time the top order made runs was on pakistani roads.. don't really remember many useful contributions.. Even in the WI, the top order didn't too well. Hopefully Pathan's bowling comes good as well, we'd probaly need his runs contribution as the top order can't seem to buy run these days.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
That's right. Who was doubting him now? :p
i was...i must admit i am really surprised at this effort although he must be really hungry and motivated to succeed right now, but i wouldn't jump the gun just yet, this attack didn't contain any test match bowlers, did it....let him get selected and let's see what he does in an actual test match situation before making any firm statements....:)

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Me. Let's see what he does in a real test match.
Werd. For all we know he can go the whole series without scoring 10 runs. We all have seen how good Dada can play, and how bad, badddddd he can get. I'm happy he scored runs here but I won't say keep him in the team from a FC match. He needs to scores runs against Pollock Nel and Ntini.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Me. Let's see what he does in a real test match.
Well obviously, but you guys were saying that he would get owned in South Africa because of his technical deficiencies. Ganguly seems more motivated than ever before.
It remains to be seen how he does in the tests but let his bat do the talking instead of making outright claims about his imminent failure.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Anil said:
i was...i must admit i am really surprised at this effort although he must be really hungry and motivated to succeed right now, but i wouldn't jump the gun just yet, this attack didn't contain any test match bowlers, did it....let him get selected and let's see what he does in an actual test match situation before making any firm statements....:)
Of course. I'm just saying that you shouldn't count him out and now it's pretty obvious why. He definitely needs to score real runs before making an impression.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Of course. I'm just saying that you shouldn't count him out and now it's pretty obvious why. He definitely needs to score real runs before making an impression.
yeah and while this is a good start, until that happens, i wouldn't count him in either....what i am saying is when he was pushed out of international cricket, it was clear that he didn't belong in it, in fact he hadn't belonged in it for quite a while before that and had been just hanging on more or less because he was the captain....now he's been brought back for either political reasons or because the current middle order is just crappier than he ever was and not for any amazing surge of form that he's exhibited recently, for all the support for "dada" in india and on internet forums, the reasons for his return in my opinion are all negative and he really, really needs to prove that he belongs out there....

Marius

International Debutant
I cannot believe that Paul Adams has been recalled. He is not even first choice for his province! Good luck to guys like Paul Harris, when they decide to go Kolpak. Him and Claude Henderson have really got shafted by the cricket establishment in SA. Adams is probably not even one of the top five spinners in SA. Really, what are the selectors thinking!!!????!!!