• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Shri's boy has been a different class today. So accurate, not one bad ball.

Heboric

International Debutant
Baptism by fire for the newer players. I actually don't mind this. Atleast this way we can really test the resolve of our fringe players instead of dominating bilaterals and dissapointing in the big matches. India been too good.
Like this comment, how are we ever going to know about the new players. Maybe they will turn into decent international players. Look at Amla and Kallis, they were terrible at international level when they first started

We know there is a huge gap between franchise and international level

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm getting so over Duminy and Miller at this stage that I would not mind if we just played the best of the U19 for the experience....

anaksr

U19 Debutant
These spin twins have literally swallowed SA batsmen.

If India bats first for next three matches then I'd not be suprised to see atleast two tons for Virat beast Kohli. He is in such freaking form.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
This series would have been a lot different if we had Ashwin/Jadeja in place of Kuldeep/Chahal. It's great that they are looking at others, I was sick of watching Ashwin n Jadeja being so ineffective in the middle overs. Ashwin still tries, Jadeja is just too one dimensional.

I know SA will be scoring a lot more when AB n Faf are back. But Kuldeep n Chahal can turn the game around anytime with their wicket taking abilities.

Daemon

If India lost 3 of their best bats we'd be pretty ****ed as well. Wouldn't judge this SA batting too harshly in that regard.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
If India lost 3 of their best bats we'd be pretty ****ed as well. Wouldn't judge this SA batting too harshly in that regard.
At home? definitely not. Manish Pandey, Shreyas Iyer, Dinesh KarTHICK, KL Rahul,etc. We have too many options. Even in the bowling department, Ashwin/Jadeja/Chawla are not even in the list of our top three spinners. And we have a nice pool of pacers aswell. I don't think India would look completely out of place like SA.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah India's batting would be ****ed without Nohit and Kohli. Those two have scored like 50% of the runs we've scored in ODIs in the past couple of years. Then there is Dhawan who contributes a bit, Jadhav who did contribute in the past but has lost form, and Rahane whose struggled in the middle order forever. Pandey is good, but isn't in the team for some reason, and Iyers, Karthik, Rahul etc have barely played.

Our ODI batting is way too top-heavy. It's a major concern.

Daemon

At home? definitely not. Manish Pandey, Shreyas Iyer, Dinesh KarTHICK, KL Rahul,etc. We have too many options. Even in the bowling department, Ashwin/Jadeja/Chawla are not even in the list of our top three spinners. And we have a nice pool of pacers aswell. I don't think India would look completely out of place like SA.
I said batting specifically.

Manish Pandey's been out of sorts. Karthik didn't even look that good against SL and averages 29. Iyer and Rahul will probably do well at home but are largely unproven. Who else is going to get you to 300? Rahane?

It'd be quite bad if we lost Kohli Rohit and Dhawan is what I'm saying. We wouldn't be as bad as SA are right now but it would hurt a lot. They're 3 of the best players in the world in their positions.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Even with these players missing it's an indictment on Miller and Duminy and our bench strength that we have looked this at sea. Something has to give.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Even with these players missing it's an indictment on Miller and Duminy and our bench strength that we have looked this at sea. Something has to give.
SA are trying to sort out bench strength... we have neglected it for years because when your top 6 is pretty much written in stone few others truly get a shot. We have probably given Duminy and Miller to much time to come right. It may have helped if we had given guys like de Bruyn, van Zyl, Ingram better opportunities and obviously losing Rossouw has not helped us. Effectively we have to move our talented 19-22 year olds into the team before they are probably ready and let them learn on the job now. Not ideal situation.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah Roussow definitely had a high ceiling in LO games. Would have easily slotted into this side. But let's hope someone stands up.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there anything new you can even say about Kohli in ODIs at this point?

The **** can average 60 for even a miniscule amount of time if he wants, it's obscene.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I said batting specifically.

Manish Pandey's been out of sorts. Karthik didn't even look that good against SL and averages 29. Iyer and Rahul will probably do well at home but are largely unproven. Who else is going to get you to 300? Rahane?

It'd be quite bad if we lost Kohli Rohit and Dhawan is what I'm saying. We wouldn't be as bad as SA are right now but it would hurt a lot. They're 3 of the best players in the world in their positions.
I think you are underestimating the Indian batting lineup, some of the batsmen in the bench are pretty good. And I don't see the Indian team in complete shambles even if we lose our top 3 batsmen, SA has looked pretty flat on the other hand.

Dinesh Karthik doesn't have best of averages coz of his early career but he has been outstanding in domestic cricket in the last 3-4 years. And he has done well since his comeback, his batting scores since his comeback in 2017 = 2, 50*, 37, 64*, 4*, 0, 26*(+48, 5* and 18* in T20s). Not outstanding numbers, but he has been not out most of the times and hasn't looked bad at all.

And speaking abt Rahane, he shouldn't even be around the ODI side IMO, unless he is picked as an opener for overseas tours.

The SA team's main strength is their potent bowling, and I think the Indian team deserves credit for posting such scores. True their batting is struggling, but beating them with such ease in their own backyard is commendable.

Last edited: