• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like Kohli's usual intent garbage to me. The idea that defensive batting is useless in difficult conditions is a myth. People said the same thing in the SA home series back in 2015. And yet it was the two Indian batsmen with the best defensive techniques who made the most important contributions.

Criticize Pujara for not capitalizing on his start of you want to, that's fine. He gave his wicket away with a poor shot. A lot of people, Kohli included seem to be criticizing Pujara's approach instead of his bad shot after getting a start. I know which one of those was the problem.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh no it's definitely not useless, any number of English openers have proved that over the years. But you do have to "know your scoring zones" so to speak and Pujara doesn't seem to, right now.

Mind you, if Kohli keeps hammering on about this #intent garbage then I can see a few double-digit innings in India's future. I've seen this movie before, let's just say.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I agree that Pujara didn't put away the bad balls enough (which he got quite a few of). But it's very disturbing to me that every ****ing time the team suffers a collapse, Kohli seems take more issue with an overly defensive approach than he does with bad, brainless attacking shots. I hate it so much. One is objectively worse and he doesn't seem to know it.

vcs

Pujara made 150 on his last visit here and he started pretty slowly in that innings also. He batted slowly when he made the series winning 140-odd on a seaming pitch in SL in 2015. He's clearly much more comfortable on typical Asian wickets but I'd much rather have a batsmen who knows his limitations and plays accordingly, even if he only grinds out a 30 most of the time.

Spark

Global Moderator
I agree that Pujara didn't put away the bad balls enough (which he got quite a few of). But it's very disturbing to me that every ****ing time the team suffers a collapse, Kohli seems take more issue with an overly defensive approach than he does with bad, brainless attacking shots. I hate it so much. One is objectively worse and he doesn't seem to know it.
Haha yeah. And given that his influence over the side only seems to be growing, it really does feel like they're walking into a total embarrassment in the near future because of it. He should be looking at his own crap shot in the first dig rather than Pujara's.

Very dubious to be taking lessons from Australia 2008-2016 on how to play away from home tstl.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Oh no it's definitely not useless, any number of English openers have proved that over the years. But you do have to "know your scoring zones" so to speak and Pujara doesn't seem to, right now.
Remember the time Sachin eliminated the cover drive from his game and scored a 200 all while leaving half volleys outside off?

Spark

Global Moderator
Remember the time Sachin eliminated the cover drive from his game and scored a 200 all while leaving half volleys outside off?
That was on a seriously flat pitch against Nathan Bracken, though. Didn't India put up 700+?

Shelving the cover drive is definitely an idea in these conditions IMO, but you need a back foot game in that case.

OverratedSanity

He had other shots to most balls. Pujara doesn't.
Yep. Tendulkar could ride the bounce really well off the back foot which allowed him to play all those ridiculous back foot punches, not to mention the pull and the flick off the hips. Pujara lacks timing on his punches because he doesn't ride the bounce anywhere near as well. He can defend off the back foot fine, but his scoring options become very limited.

OverratedSanity

Also, is there a more overrated innings than Sachin's 241? He's arguably made 45-50 better tons and yet it's that one which seems to come up in discussions repeatedly. Lame. He had like 10 knocks better than that one in Australia alone.

OverratedSanity

This gets better and better. Apparently Bhuvi only made the team because Ishant fell ill.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-south-africa/unwell-ishant-sharma-made-way-for-bhuvneshwar-kumar-in-1st-test/articleshow/62453104.cms

Bhuvi is actually their 5th choice seamer behind Shami, Hardik, Ishant and Bumrah. Bumrah, a guy who hadn't played a single test in his career and hadn't played in an FC game for over a year was guaranteed a spot ahead of a guy who averages in the mid 20s in test cricket.

This team is run by exceedingly stupid people.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
[video]http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=22034583[/video]

Looks a little like the disarray of the team selection.... maybe whoever ends up holding a red/yellow towel gets selected?

Woodster

International Captain
Not sure I'd agree with him getting quite a few bad balls, SA were relentless for much of that Test and especially the times when Pujara was batting.

OverratedSanity

Not sure I'd agree with him getting quite a few bad balls, SA were relentless for much of that Test and especially the times when Pujara was batting.
Probably not many "bad" balls but definitely a few overpitched ones that should've been put away. He hit the infield too often with those.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This gets better and better. Apparently Bhuvi only made the team because Ishant fell ill.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ar-kumar-in-1st-test/articleshow/62453104.cms

Bhuvi is actually their 5th choice seamer behind Shami, Hardik, Ishant and Bumrah. Bumrah, a guy who hadn't played a single test in his career and hadn't played in an FC game for over a year was guaranteed a spot ahead of a guy who averages in the mid 20s in test cricket.

Doesn't any former player have the balls to call Kohstri out on this bs??

Spark

Global Moderator

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-south-africa/unwell-ishant-sharma-made-way-for-bhuvneshwar-kumar-in-1st-test/articleshow/62453104.cms

this is like a self-parody of the #intent philosophy

SeamUp

International Coach
And supposed attacking batsman Rohit Sharma got 11 off 59 & 10 off 30 against a softer ball. Where was his intent ?

You can just see Kohli loves his favourite mates to pick. Dhawan and him are tight and he has always spoken Rohit up about his style.