• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

veganbob

U19 Captain
Saha a bit unlucky there, did look sliding down.

Anyway game was over the moment Pandya got out. Can't believe we screwed this up so badly.
Disappointing but to be fair the way sa have bowled I doubt any team was chasing this down. It would need a special innings from one player

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rohit failed here, but Rahane also looked all kinds of awful in that SL series at home. Hardly any guarantee he would have done any better given his struggles against Lakmal and Shanaka.

Maybe it would have satisfied some people if he was picked in a "well, at least we did the sensible thing going into the match" sense but I'm not buying that the outcome would have been any different.

The other controversial selections (Pandya and Bumrah) worked out pretty well.

Niall

International Coach
Disappointing but to be fair the way sa have bowled I doubt any team was chasing this down. It would need a special innings from one player
Think Australia might have done well, Marsh, Warner and Smith would have done okish here. Heck even Khawaja would have been better than Rohit. Dunno if they would have chased it down, but would be fascinating to watch.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Rohit failed here, but Rahane also looked all kinds of awful in that SL series at home. Hardly any guarantee he would have done any better given his struggles against Lakmal and Shanaka.

Maybe it would have satisfied some people if he was picked in a "well, at least we did the sensible thing going into the match" sense but I'm not buying that the outcome would have been any different.

The other controversial selections (Pandya and Bumrah) worked out pretty well.
Rahane is a lot better against pace and bounce than he is against spin. At least with Rahane you know the guy is capable of quality innings, Rohit is the most overhyped player in recent times, the guy simply is not capable IMO to play high quality innings overseas. On top of that Rahane is a much better fielder.

Also Bumrah didn't really work out well, anyone can take wickets on such a pitch, he really didn't help in the first innings where we should have had SA bowled out for much less. All of these things add up. I'm not annoyed about the fact that we lost this test (although it makes me sad) but the fact that we didn't play our best 11.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
motm? philander? or pandya maaaybe
No way is it Pandya. Has to go to the winning team in this case. Philander should be a cinch if he takes five. Probably still favourite even if he doesn't. Got the crucial wickets.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Think Australia might have done well, Marsh, Warner and Smith would have done okish here. Heck even Khawaja would have been better than Rohit. Dunno if they would have chased it down, but would be fascinating to watch.
Lol at Marsh doing well here. Philander fodder, both of them.

Slifer

International Captain
Smith and Warner perhaps but assuming RSA have at least 3 of their pacers available and Maharaj.. Not likely for Oz.

Himannv

International Coach
I reckon the real problem with selection was down to the mindset India had during the SL series. They tried to use it as a means of selection and preparation for this series, while I think they may have been better off just setting up their usual home pitch, crushing Sri Lanka ASAP and moving on. They could have come to SA with a "horses-for-courses" type selection that may have fared marginally better. I reckon they'd probably still lose, but at least their team selection would have been better with this series in mind.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If I was an umpire I wouldn't give Philander anything. Stop running down the pitch whenever you hit the pad, makes you look like a douche

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith and Warner perhaps but assuming RSA have at least 3 of their pacers available and Maharaj.. Not likely for Oz.
weird things happen when aus play in sa.

the jo'burg 2011 chase was a loooot more outlandish than this one. never discount voodoo magic as a factor imo

Gob

International Coach
No team is chasing this when Vern is bowling like this unless someone comes and play a once in a life time knock.

vcs

weird things happen when aus play in sa.

the jo'burg 2011 chase was a loooot more outlandish than this one. never discount voodoo magic as a factor imo
Andrew McDonald taking wickets and Marcus North getting a century..

Burner

International Regular
Like I said, it's going to be a comfortable win for SA. Got to say though, when India were 65 for 3 and had Kohli going, I felt that he was going to do it. Looked like he had gotten into that mode.

Rohit should be straight swapped for Rahane if India are going to have any chance in the next 2 matches.

OverratedSanity

There's no guarantee Rahane would've done better but it was pretty obvious he was more likely to get runs in these conditions. Straight swap for Rohit in the next game please.