• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
Ian Butler has to be the shock of the season, he's got accuracy good pace (he was never that quick, only lost 5ks max.) and....I'll only whisper it.....he might be a test bowler yet.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him since recall, does he still get movement or is it straight up and down?

GGG

State Captain
Yes I will have to go back on my earlier post where I said he had lost lots of pace. I watched his entire 4 overs in the 2nd game and he wasn't a heck of a lot slower that he was before he broke down and what pace he has lost he has more than made up for in accuracy. I was under the impression that he wanted to turn himself into a batting allrounder.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Butler has to be the shock of the season, he's got accuracy good pace (he was never that quick, only lost 5ks max.) and....I'll only whisper it.....he might be a test bowler yet.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him since recall, does he still get movement or is it straight up and down?
Doesn't really get much movement through the air, he tends to bang it into the pitch from a very high arm action. I don't know him playing tests though. He's had a pretty miserable season for Otago in 4 day cricket (7 wickets at 43), and I also wonder whether he would/could maintain that pace level in the longer formats. Maybe he bowls a touch faster in 20/20's because he knows it's not as big a strain on his back. Will be interesting to see if he is picked for any of the ODI's.

Polo23

International Debutant
I think Southee needs a bit of a break. Wouldnt mind seeing Butler take his spot for the first 2 ODI's.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wouldn't drop Butler for then Napier game, its going to be hot with rain expected, so it might perfect for swing bowling.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
I'd stick with Southee for now. He's due a good game. Butler to come in if Southee can't lift his game.

Don't think Butler can withstand the strain of bowling in test cricket these days, but he's definitely bowling really well in the limited overs games. How's his batting, heard he's been developing into more of an allrounder.

thierry henry

International Coach
The selection of Broom over Styris is just another thing to file under "human beings generally don't understand cricket"

How anyone could think that Broom was even in the same ballpark as Styris as an ODI bat makes my brain explode.

Broom hasn't put up impressive numbers and, more importantly, he has often done a very good impersonation of a tail-ender even during his more substantial innings (like, when he makes 20-something).

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Indian people when they get enemies and have power are bunch of you know what.. they cant even run societies of 10 people. Disgusting how cricket has to suffer so many times

trapol

U19 12th Man
Broom is far from Quality Polo. He certainly hasnt disgraced himself by any means.
But i have to agree... there is now way that Broom or Elliott for that matter are anywhere near Styris' quality...Styris has in fact averaged over 50 for the last 2 years...which by the way is more than Taylor and McCullum (easily too)
This is my first ever post on this site...congrats to me...

Polo23

International Debutant
How Styris averaging over 50 in the last 2 years is relevant to him being in form when returning from injury is beyond me. Broom IS quality. He has scored a ****load of runs for Otago and has been NZ A's best batsman for a few years. He deserves his chance and i'm glad they are persevering with him. 7 games, most of which he's had to come in at the death and slog is hardly a good sample to show what he has to bring to the team.

Since you guys seem so obsessed with averages, Broom and Styris average the same in List A cricket and Broom averages 9 runs more than Styris in FC cricket.

trapol

U19 12th Man
All fair points Polo but you cant compare career averages of the two as Styris' are skewed a bit by the fact he played the first 6 or so years of his first class/list A career as a bowler batting anywhere from 7-10. To get your average up after that is a fair achievement. Styris has infact averaged over 40 in domestic OD cricket in NZ for the last 7 years and has been NZs best ODI bat for 5 years+ (personal opinion only).
Why if Styris' domestic form is being considered was Ryders domestic form not considered? He has been terrible since his return from injury. Oram only had to play one game and Mills none? one rule for some and another for others?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm far from convinced with Broom at this early stage, despite his good List A record. I mean, what has he actually done at International level? I recall he did make that 20 odd not out in the 2nd Chappell/Hadlee win with Elliott, but from memory that was an incredibly edgy innings where he had a heap of luck, with just one nice pull shot off the front shot towards the end. And with all this said, he doesn't even bowl.

So for all of you singing his praises, what have I missed here?

trapol

U19 12th Man
oh and this isnt pick on Broom night...Elliott had a good series in Aust obviously but all he did was average what Styris has for the past 2 years. Plus Styris averaged 46 against Aust LAST time in 2007 when they had Lee, Hogg and Tait bowling well...not an Aussie team with a bunch of no-namers trying to stamp their mark.
At the end of the day i think he has been shafted and i do feel that when he plays B Mac/Taylor play more their agressive natural games as they have more faith in Styris and co to do their jobs than having the Elliotts/Brooms there where they cant actually trust what theyre going to get

Polo23

International Debutant
trapol - Taylor is in career best ODI form. Why would you want him to become MORE aggressive? He is batting far better than he ever has.

While Broom hasnt set the world on fire, he's hardly had the chance has he? He's only had 3 innings where he has come in before the 30th over (one doesnt count because it was that rained off match which was in effect a T20, and he was runout by Guptill). So really you guys are saying Broom is crap based on 3 innings?

Good call that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
trapol - Taylor is in career best ODI form. Why would you want him to become MORE aggressive? He is batting far better than he ever has.

While Broom hasnt set the world on fire, he's hardly had the chance has he? He's only had 3 innings where he has come in before the 30th over (one doesnt count because it was that rained off match which was in effect a T20, and he was runout by Guptill). So really you guys are saying Broom is crap based on 3 innings?

Good call that.
I don't think anyone described him as "crap" (we'll I certainly didn't). What people are questioning is why our top ODI batsman of the last 3 years or so can't get in ahead of a newcomer who done bugger-all, thats all