• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
So that Boult-Ajaz partnership was the highest of all time where one batsman has scored all the runs? 38 ... beating Kapil Dev and someone else with 30.

Does anyone have a list for that stat? I can’t find one. Would be nice to at least know who Kapil was batting with.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did the pitch change so considerably from the shortened first day to when we batted? Could we say there was any discernible difference that made winning the toss a major advantage? I say absolutely no.

We're a great side at home but some teams turn up here with the wrong mentality. India seemingly won the toss and had it in their mind that our decks are green swampfields that magically change when the other side gets a bat. Given the moisture on the second half of day one, truly I don't think we batted on something any different to India. We bowled better and batted better in pretty similar conditions. Kohli should be better than to even think about mentioning an advantage. If they'd truly worked hard to bat longer, to negate Jamieson etc, they could've been in the game. But they regularly turn up here and don't want to do the grafting work. And we're relentless at home, so we win.
Yeah I didn't see a huge amount of day 1 but it was not one of those unplayable green wickets you sometimes get in places like Durban, Wanderers etc. where 250 looks like a great score. With some application, India could have got to 275-300 (and should have, given they played 6 batsmen).

Yeah the toss was not as big a factor as our poor batting. But I was talking about the overall trend. Lets say even a 25% advantage that the toss gives to the home team, seems to make it almost impossible for the away team to compete, given how strong most teams are at home today. That is what was fascinating from the data on that crapinfo article. It may well be a psychological thing too. Faf was even worse about the toss when RSA toured India late last year.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it’s undeniable that the toss provides an advantage to varying degrees in most situations. When there’s already a gap between the two sides and it goes against you, it only serves to exacerbate the difference.

It’s not the sole reason for losing a game or the difference between the two sides. It rarely ever is. I think Kohli didn’t mean it that way at all.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it’s undeniable that the toss provides an advantage to varying degrees in most situations. When there’s already a gap between the two sides and it goes against you, it only serves to exacerbate the difference.

It’s not the sole reason for losing a game or the difference between the two sides. It rarely ever is. I think Kohli didn’t mean it that way at all.
yeah, he just spelled out a fact. A mountain got made out of a molehill here.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Yeah the toss was not as big a factor as our poor batting. But I was talking about the overall trend. Lets say even a 25% advantage that the toss gives to the home team, seems to make it almost impossible for the away team to compete, given how strong most teams are at home today. That is what was fascinating from the data on that crapinfo article. It may well be a psychological thing too. Faf was even worse about the toss when RSA toured India late last year.
Home advantage has always been a thing? This whole pitch fiasco STARTED with Indias over zealous desperation / winning at all costs mentality when the pitch was turning sideways from day 1, ball 1 with spinners opening the bowling and part time spinners turning it square. Basically what I'm trying to say is, this was never a HUGE issue across the board until those watered in certain areas type shenanigans started and everyone said "fine, if thats how you want to do it, then we will too." Natural changes to wickets via climate, weather etc. are all parts of cricket and why its called Test cricket.

Just read that cricinfo article and LOL. Wheres the context? To suggest that the main reason for those wins are tosses, especially in a place like Australia where you are hardly dealt "greentops", most sides fail to adjust to heat, boundary sizes, type of wickets (natural differences). I'm obviously a cynical bastard about this all, BUT I legit didn't find much to read into. IMO out of those 3 sides in that "article" only India could be noted for having wickets result orientated to them on an extreme level. Day 1 pitches looking like day 3/4 is the problem, shootouts and spinners opening the bowling is where the argument can kinda be made, but a day 1 pitche nipping about and getting easier, NOT MORE difficult is not a toss issue or home advantage issue.

India has a seam attack as good as ours, a better spinner, we had a debutant ffs, and with a batting line up supposedly stronger than ours. They just failed to show up and show any fight when the going got tough which can be said for a lot of those stats.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
yeah, he just spelled out a fact. A mountain got made out of a molehill here.
Yeah but for Kohli to be naive as to why home advantage is being pushed to an extreme is laughable to me, quite frankly the toss could be used an excuse in every game if you really want to go down that road, not getting your way sometimes is part of cricket, just ask Kane and the NZ side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Home advantage has always been a thing? This whole pitch fiasco STARTED with Indias over zealous desperation / winning at all costs mentality when the pitch was turning sideways from day 1, ball 1 with spinners opening the bowling and part time spinners turning it square. Basically what I'm trying to say is, this was never a HUGE issue across the board until those watered in certain areas type shenanigans started and everyone said "fine, if thats how you want to do it, then we will too." Natural changes to wickets via climate, weather etc. are all parts of cricket and why its called Test cricket.

Just read that cricinfo article and LOL. Wheres the context? To suggest that the main reason for those wins are tosses, especially in a place like Australia where you are hardly dealt "greentops", most sides fail to adjust to heat, boundary sizes, type of wickets (natural differences). I'm obviously a cynical bastard about this all, BUT I legit didn't find much to read into. IMO out of those 3 sides in that "article" only India could be noted for having wickets result orientated to them on an extreme level. Day 1 pitches looking like day 3/4 is the problem, shootouts and spinners opening the bowling is where the argument can kinda be made, but a day 1 pitche nipping about and getting easier, NOT MORE difficult is not a toss issue or home advantage issue.

India has a seam attack as good as ours, a better spinner, we had a debutant ffs, and with a batting line up supposedly stronger than ours. They just failed to show up and show any fight when the going got tough which can be said for a lot of those stats.

Well, its difficult to argue against extreme bias, especially when it is gone to this extent but pray tell me when the hell was this bolded part true? :laugh: Did you even watch cricket in India since 2015?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Home advantage has always been a thing? This whole pitch fiasco STARTED with Indias over zealous desperation / winning at all costs mentality when the pitch was turning sideways from day 1, ball 1 with spinners opening the bowling and part time spinners turning it square.
Do people still not understand that if anything this gives the away team an advantage. Winning the toss on a bunsen is literally the only way anyone can beat India at home.

vcs

CharlesLara bringing out all the greatest hits to discredit any win by an Asian team at home

"Doctored lottery wickets"
"Pitches turning square from day 1"
"Part time spinners opening the bowling"

Furiously fighting a straw man. No Indian poster here has tried taking anything away from your win FFS.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If anything, it was amazing how well they bowled to a very good batting line up IMO. Gave nothing away and forced us to play some stupid shots in between a few magic balls, esp. Southee. And a lovely batting performance. Under rated contribution by CdG too. LIke someone mentioned in the allrounders thread, he may not be flashy and may not be the match winner every time but gotta be up there for the most consistently putting in performances as an allrounder. Adds value in both disciplines and does his bit almost always.

OverratedSanity

If anything, it was amazing how well they bowled to a very good batting line up IMO. Gave nothing away and forced us to play some stupid shots in between a few magic balls, esp. Southee. And a lovely batting performance. Under rated contribution by CdG too. LIke someone mentioned in the allrounders thread, he may not be flashy and may not be the match winner every time but gotta be up there for the most consistently putting in performances as an allrounder. Adds value in both disciplines and does his bit almost always.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Lol. U know what I mean. Our openers and #6 ain't flash but a middle order of Pujara, Kohli and Rahane is pretty good. Not as good as us in the fab 4 days or anything but still, that is a good line up and to keep them to no 50s over 2 innings is an amazing effort, irrespective of the pitch IMO.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
So that Boult-Ajaz partnership was the highest of all time where one batsman has scored all the runs? 38 ... beating Kapil Dev and someone else with 30.

Does anyone have a list for that stat? I can’t find one. Would be nice to at least know who Kapil was batting with.
i would look in the 1990 scorecards when kapil biffed Hemmings for 4 consecutive 6s.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This will probably go the same way as the English series. We'll probably come away with a lucky/dour draw in the second test against a much improved side.