• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Venter: Where is the proof that there will be cloud cover all through this test match?

There is none - you have to make a call on these things.
There is no certainty a cricket pitch will behave in a partcular manner - there is always an element of risk.
Obvioulsy you look to minimise that level of risk with your choice at the toss (if you win).....

Conditions are expected to be conducive to swing bowling on days 2 and 3 of this match as well - if that is the case why have the added pressure of chasing runs especially when a)you know you don't have a top class pace attack at your disposal b) you're best bowler is most effective in the fourth innings of a test match c) your batting lineup has repeatedly crumbled when put under the pump while chasing in thet last 2 years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've gotta agree....I think India would have been better off getting England chasing runs in the 4th dig - bringing Kumble into the equation to a greater degree.
I don't think the ball will stop swinging for the India innings.

Defensive move by Dravid and a poor one IMO - he was trying to protect his over the hill batting lineup by bowling first on a juicy wicket something Indian teams did a lot of during the 90's and it pretty much got them nowhere.

It would not surprise at all if India were dismissed for some paltry score
and subsequently lose the game.
I have to disagree. If the batsmen perform, who knows Kumble might still bowl in the last innings of the match.

Test matches are won by tacking 20 wickets. Why not get them in good bowling conditions..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really? Then how did he have a successfull tour of England?

India in Pakistan, 1989/90 [Series]
- 4 6 0 215 59 57 41 35.83 0 2 0
India in New Zealand, 1989/90 [Series]
NZ 3 4 0 117 88 24 5 29.25 0 1 1
India in England, 1990 [Series]
Eng 3 5 1 245 119* 68 27 61.25 1 1 0
He was 17 by then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saying it is a defensive move isn't right because Vaughan would have done the same. Would you say it was a defensive move by Vaughan too given that the English batsmen hadn't coped with Indian swing bowling in the first test in swinging conditions after they got the bearings right after day 1? Not really.
Absolutely, I said the exact same thing about Hussain and Stephen Waugh at The 'Gabba in 2002\03.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does. 16 is absurdly young. It takes a pretty high calibre to be able to succeed at 17, and only a tiny number do (and most who are tried fail).

The experience is highly unlikely to have helped. He didn't need to be playing Tests and ODIs, I doubt, to be getting good enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well they can think that if they want, but I was always well aware of the fact that Tendulkar's first good series was in England in 1990.

And also that he'd turned 17 by then.

pasag

RTDAS
Anyways, back to the game, Tremlett out and Foxtel not covering this for another hour an a half although at least it will be live and not delayed. Annoying runs from Sidebottom from India's pespective though.

edit: and page 200 for the thread - cue Richard: "But I'm only on page 3" :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyways, back to the game, Tremlett out and Foxtel not covering this for another hour an a half although at least it will be live and not delayed. Annoying runs from Sidebottom from India's pespective though.
Hopefully we might make 199 and make India need 200 for a first-innings lead.

Tremlett very fortunate to last as long as he did really, justice done eventually with Kumble getting him, Zaheer had MSP plumb and turned-down, then got him caught slip.

Either way, the ease with which tailenders have scored - albeit against an oldish ball - does not bode well.
But it's only page 75! :-O

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

75 TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks like MSP's supposed ability with the bat is being shown perhaps a little short of the mark of late.

pasag

RTDAS
Isn't there someone with an avatar bet for England to make under/over 200? Would lol if England were all out now.