• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

irfan

State Captain
Haha. So we started with Karthik, climaxed at Tendulkar and ended with Pathan. You two are probably the most respected Indian viewpoints on this forum but Pathan opening up both batting and bowling is a bit of a worry, frankly. Don't want him to be overcooked when he comes out to bowl.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha. So we started with Karthik, climaxed at Tendulkar and ended with Pathan. You two are probably the most respected Indian viewpoints on this forum but Pathan opening up both batting and bowling is a bit of a worry, frankly. Don't want him to be overcooked when he comes out to bowl.
He isn't going to bat for a triple century :p. I'd still prefer Tendulkar tbh, but I can live with Pathan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There'd be more of a worry of him being overcooked when he bowled if he batted down the order, as he wouldn't get much of a break. If he opens, he'll get the largest break possible. The worry is that he'll be tired from bowling all day when he comes out to open the batting, which is a legitimate concern, but not as legitimate as it would be if he was playing as one of four bowlers rather than one of five. A five-man attack should ensure no-one really gets too tired unless the opposition piles on 600, and there's Sehwag and Ganguly to bowl as well if they're really needed.

I don't think this would be a particularly good idea if the series was level or India were leading, but it's the last test and India need to win to tie the series up. Five bowlers gives India the best chance of winning from where I sit. I'd open with Dravid rather than Pathan but Pathan opening isn't really a bad option IMO.

masterblaster

International Captain
What a terrific win, a great effort by the guys. I'd back India to play well in Adelaide and the conditions should suit them. RP Singh has been a real find. Last year, I never really rated him and thought he wouldn't last, but man he has come on leaps and bounds. Irfan Pathan also played exceptionally well and was so happy for him that he won man of the match, which was well deserved.

I wouldn't open with Rahul Dravid and I wouldn't pick Harbhajan either for Adelaide, remembering it was Ajit Agarkar who bowled India to that famous Adelaide win in 2003. I'd actually keep Jaffer in the squad as Adelaide might be his best chance to score runs. Plus a set opening combination of Sehwag and Jaffer provides India a decent platform.

As tempted as I am to include Harbhajan in the team, I'd still probably keep the same winning side, but that's just me. Kumble supported by Sehwag and Tendulkar are an adequate spin option.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For Adelaide, Pathan must play and Dravid should not open. Dravid is clearly not comfortable opening and ensuring that he is confident is the first step to giving ourselves a chance to continue to challenge the best team in the world. You have two options:

Sehwag, Karthik, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dhoni, Pathan, Kumble, RPS, Ishant

Sehwag, Pathan, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dhoni, Kumble, Bhajji, RPS, Ishant

The first option is clearly superior to me for the following reasons:

1. Karthik is coming off a fine knock in Canberra and will add some fire to the fielding unit.
2. In case the Adelaide track offers turn, Sehwag can exploit it well. Honestly, Bhajji is not far superior to Sehwag these days. You've got Sachin as well.
3. Pathan can probably handle so much responsibility, but it still poses a risk that the management may be reluctant to take.
4. The Indian batsmen seem to do better when they know there is depth in the batting lineup. That's something I noticed back in the Chappell days. That said, this may not be such an issue if they don't have to shift up (as in these options).

As long as Dravid doesn't open, I'll be happy.
I agree that Dravid should not open....we have already seen the results. Let's not disturb the middle order. Both the combinations above are interesting but opening with Pathan would be a huge risk. The best thing India could do is leave Harbhajan out and replace Jaffar with Karthik. So I will also go with first option.

I don't like either of those options, to be honest. Karthik is not good enough to be a opener, especially not in a country like Australia. Jaffer, I agree, is useless here, so I would drop him, but I'd go ahead and promote Tendulkar to open, not Dravid. Tendulkar can attack more than Dravid, and has a better overall technique as well. I think Laxman is the ideal #3 as well.

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly, Dhoni, Pathan, Kumble, Harbhajan, RP, Ishant.

Or you can open with Dravid too. My problem with playing Karthik or Jaffer is that do we honestly think they are going to score more than 50 runs in the Test (both innings)? I don't think they will - not with Lee being in such fine form opening the innings. So we might as well get Harbhajan who may get 20-30 in the match, and also bowl well.
:-O :-O Opening with Tendulkar? that is the biggest mistake India could do :-O :-O

Craig

World Traveller
please go and watch some world cup replays he is a top bowler
Then why is Mitchell Johnson in the Test team then?

Really the ranking of Australian Test fast bowlers would be:

Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Mitchell Johnson
Shaun Tait
Ashley Noffke
Ben Hilfenhaus
Nathan Bracken

Bracken is a gun ODI bowler though. Test bowling? No.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Mitchell Johnson
Shaun Tait
Ashley Noffke
Ben Hilfenhaus
Nathan Bracken

I reckon Bollinger is ahead of Bracken as well TBH.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
i would like to see bracken have another test go, becausei reckon in the last 18 months he has improved alot,he can swing the ball which is dangerouse in both forms of the game

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
No, I said that India's winning wasn't because of Australia being poor, India's winning was because they bowled very well.
australia have bette batsman, better bowlers and are better fielders so for india to win australia must have to play well below there potential

iff australia was batting at there best than they would of scored over 500 runs no matter how well india bowled

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Mitchell Johnson
Shaun Tait
Ashley Noffke
Ben Hilfenhaus
Nathan Bracken

Haha why? Because he got a little owned against India in a series where all the bowlers suffered? He's a changed bowler and has shown that his superb L&L and variety are good enough to be listed for the big-time. His bowling this season in FC Cricket has been amazing.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't really give a **** if you do give credit. Just pointing out it is sour grapes.
lol why would i have sour grapes of india ? since ive been following australia they have won 3 world cups ( 2 of them undefeated) , they currently hold on to every single test trophy thats available to them and you know how many test series ive seen them lose in 10 years ? 2 ive seen more world cups won by australia than test series lost .I dont think I will have sour grapes of india

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well to attempt to explain it on your terms, if Carlton travelled to Subiaco towards the end of the season and as usual had no chance of making the finals and they did it without say, Brendon Fevola and won against the odds, would you criticise them for heaps of celebrations afterwards?
but india arent they carlton of cricket, the carlton of world cricket would be bangladesh

india would be the collingwood

it actualy looks like I rate india higher than the rest off you do

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
lol why would i have sour grapes of india ? since ive been following australia they have won 3 world cups ( 2 of them undefeated) , they currently hold on to every single test trophy thats available to them and you know how many test series ive seen them lose in 10 years ? 2 ive seen more world cups won by australia than test series lost .I dont think I will have sour grapes of india
Get ready for the big change ...and the next 10 years...:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
but india arent they carlton of cricket, the carlton of world cricket would be bangladesh

india would be the collingwood
Missing the point again, hey. The side is heavy underdogs, they won against all odds, don't have a chance of making the finals but according to you they'd have no right to celebrate.

it actualy looks like I rate india higher than the rest off you do
When it suits you, perhaps. But this has more to do with Australia being a great side than anything.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
Missing the point again, hey. The side is heavy underdogs, they won against all odds, don't have a chance of making the finals but according to you they'd have no right to celebrate.

When it suits you, perhaps. But this has more to do with Australia being a great side than anything.
all that happend was the 2nd best side won a game against the best side who were just due for a poor peformance atm it was just a fluke if they win the next test than it is no fluke.

I think there are alot of cricket nations not just india who get a bit ahead of themselves, india were guilty of that in last years world cup , they thought they were a strong chance to win it yet they didnt even make it past the first round which was due to them getting ahead of themselves.They dont want to make the same mistake again

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha why? Because he got a little owned against India in a series where all the bowlers suffered? He's a changed bowler and has shown that his superb L&L and variety are good enough to be listed for the big-time. His bowling this season in FC Cricket has been amazing.
AWTA massively.

Dissector

International Debutant
I am begining to like this idea of Pathan opening.

The Australian batting is looking ominous and five bowlers will be essential to win at Adelaide.

While I like Jaffer and think he will be back against lesser attacks he clearly isn't upto the task of facing top notch pace bowlers in Australia. Even if the Adelaide track is relatively flat his confidence must be very low and it's probably better to drop him for this game. At this point of time Bhaji batting at 9 may well score more runs than Jaffer as opener.

And our great middle order needs to click big-time in the first innings in order for us to win which means that they need to bat in positions they are comfortable in.

Pathan also gets a left-right combination going and should be able to run quick singles. It's a risk but one worth taking in order to push for a win.