• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zaheers ball wasnt that good? did swing in a fraction though..

nah Huss has always batted 4 for Aus in tests

Pup our best player of spin by miles tho and would've liked him playing kumble..but huss woulda played him sooner or later anyway
I wouldn't say Clarke's a better player of spin than Hayden. And if he is, it is hardly by miles.

pup11

International Coach
Zaheers ball wasnt that good? did swing in a fraction though..

nah Huss has always batted 4 for Aus in tests

Pup our best player of spin by miles tho and would've liked him playing kumble..but huss woulda played him sooner or later anyway
If you are talking about Zaheer's ball to dismiss Ponting than you are being a bit harsh, it was almost an unplayable delivery and Ponting was just unlucky that it clipped his off-stump.
I won't think about changing anything in the Australian batting order (except dropping Symonds for Noffke) Huss is fine at 4 and Pup's doing well at 5 so no reason to make any changes, Pup can move up the order once Ponting and Hussey retire IMO.

Mister Wright

If you are talking about Zaheer's ball to dismiss Ponting than you are being a bit harsh, it was almost an unplayable delivery and Ponting was just unlucky that it clipped his off-stump.
I won't think about changing anything in the Australian batting order (except dropping Symonds for Noffke) Huss is fine at 4 and Pup's doing well at 5 so no reason to make any changes, Pup can move up the order once Ponting and Hussey retire IMO.
I think Laurrz was talking about the ball to dismiss Hayden.

Bit harsh on Symonds. He's coming off two unbeaten 50s, and today was the first time he's been dismissed in test matches this summer. I actually thought he looked the most comfortable of the batsman during his innings today, picked the wrong one to pull, but that happens sometimes. Think he's in the form of his life personally.

Laurrz

International Debutant
no i was talking about the ball that got hayden out

pup11

International Coach
You know, I think sometimes far too much is made of so-called 'wicket taking' deliveries. The reality is that most batmen get out through errors usually brought on by consistent good bowling backed up by good fielding and not by super deliveries. If anything, super deliveries do not get wickets because they are often too good for batsmen - usually leaving the batsman looking like an idiot at the crease, but still at the crease nonetheless. A wicket is a wicket, however it may have come about, and every ball that takes a wicket is a wicket taking delivery. So enough with the nonsense already.
I am not saying Indians bowled badly or something its just that i don't think the Australian batsmen batted well either, most of them got some sort of starts but they (Clarke,Symonds and Gilly) just got out playing ridiculous shots, it wasn't as if the runs had completly dried out that they had to go for such shots we still managed a run rate of close to 4 at the end of the day's play, so that pretty much shows that if had show a bit more application then the scoreline could have been different.

Mister Wright

I am not saying Indians bowled badly or something its just that i don't think the Australian batsmen batted well either, most of them got some sort of starts but they (Clarke,Symonds and Gilly) just got out playing ridiculous shots, it wasn't as if the runs had completly dried out that they had to go for such shots we still managed a run rate of close to 4 at the end of the day's play, so that pretty much shows that if had show a bit more application then the scoreline could have been different.
Again, I think you're being harsh on Symonds here. Yes, Clarke played at one he shouldn't have, and played far too away from his body and was dismissed, and you're right about Gilchrist - don't know what he was thinking. However, Symonds picked the wrong length, it was far from a ridiculous shot, and it was a magnificent catch that got him out.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Why would Clarke bat ahead of Hussey who is averaging 88 in test cricket (before today's innings)?
I just personally think Clarke would be better suited to play at 4, while Hussey is good with the scraps bee it 400-3 or watever, i think he is a bit more gun there.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
The ball that got Hayden wasn't exactly brilliant but it did a terrific job to make Haydos lob the ball straight to the fielder.

Mister Wright

I just personally think Clarke would be better suited to play at 4, while Hussey is good with the scraps bee it 400-3 or watever, i think he is a bit more gun there.
He was moved to 4 early in his career, but was found out against the newer ball. He's made centuries a plenty at number 5, as has Hussey at 4, don't know why you'd want to swap them.

Mister Wright

Nah, you're just being generous to him.
If you can explain to me how the shot was ridiculous rather than just a misjudgement in length then I'll take it on the chin, but I fail to see how the shot was ridiculous especially compared to Gilchrist's and Clarke's efforts.

biased indian

International Coach
i will only wake up after luch time tommorrow..hope we get e clear picture by then..any indian score with just one wicket down(jaffer) may be 70-1 ..will go a long way in deciding where the test is going....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll tell you what was weird about today's play. Australia were up against a brilliant new ball spell from Zaheer. Was terrific, yet they weathered the storm and that's what made me think "****, we're in trouble here. Bowled as good as we possibly could and didn't even get a wicket". But they managed to peg it back, and even with the wagging tail, if people don't believe this is a 400 run pitch they're kidding themselves.

Not for a minute am I saying India will definitely get 400. But if they don't, either Australia have bowled brilliantly, or India have batted poor.
Australia didn't do as bad as you think. They have 337, add another 50 runs because of the slow outfield and with one more wicket to go, it's 400 +.

And most of the wickets Kumble actually got were due to bad shots. Hmm, like P Jaques, no batsman should ever get out stumped in a test match, that's just throwing wicket away. And samething with Gilchrist, Symonds, they threw their wickets away.

Hayden was brilliant, you'll see it when Indian batting will struggle to make even 200.
Haha you're a joke. Kumble's ball to Hussey was a dead set beaut.

And its not Kumble's fault Symonds is a dumbass. First ball he faces he tries to hook just after Clarke was dismissed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"Anil Kumble with five wickets in this innings has taken five or more wickets in an innings on ten occasions against Australia. He became the fourth bowler in the world to claim five wickets in an innings on ten or more occasions against Australia. The other three are Richard Hadlee {14 occasions}, SF Barnes {12 occasions} and T Richardson {11 occasions}. He is the first spinner in the world to achieve the feat against Australia"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
not Hayden's best innings, but showed his true class all the way.
Must say my respect for Hayden went up a notch after today's play.

I was there for his ton on day 2 of the Boxing Day test back in 2003, but this one was just so much better. Against a much better attack, and he faced some class fast bowling first up, weathered it with only one genuine edge which went through a vacant third slip (I yelled a few expletives when that happened, no third slip for a second gully in the first hour was silly) and then was brillinat from then on.

Surprised he didn't go on with it tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And yes, Kumble is Kumble, but Zaheer Khan has really become one of the better bowlers in the world. I can't remember the last time an Indian was that high.