• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
take note we have tours of Pakistan and India next year and we will surely need 1 spinner maybe even two... so we have gotta pick a spinner sooner or later and cant stop hiding from it... *shrugs

pup11

International Coach
Agree with Laurzz our pace attack has a lot of options but our spin cupboard is pretty bare and that has been a constant cause of concern for sometime and its about time the Australian selectors make a long-term decision regarding this issue, we need a good spinner to be effective in different condition and we can't expect to win many games with an all pace attack.
I think selectors need to pin-point two or three of the most talented young spinners available in domestic cricket atm and start preparing them for international cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
I guess having Shane Warne has also been a disadvantage in terms of the future as stupid as it may sound. Now don't getme wrong, I'm not knocking him, but having, Australia has never needed another spinner and when they did Stuart MacGill was the man and hardly ever needing to try somebody out.

Craig

World Traveller
I picked a name from the hat it reads George Bradley Hogg!
Still his FC bowling average is of no great shakes either. With an average of 39 and a s/r of 72, I know stats don't always tell the full story, but sorry no.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess having Shane Warne has also been a disadvantage in terms of the future as stupid as it may sound. Now don't getme wrong, I'm not knocking him, but having, Australia has never needed another spinner and when they did Stuart MacGill was the man and hardly ever needing to try somebody out.
This is true but often, great bowlers come about when there is opportunity to develop into one. For example, Glenn McGrath was hardly a 'great' nor destined for it when he made his debut and only when Craig McDermott retired was he afforded the opportunity to develop into the role. In the early days, McGrath had his accuracy and his in-cutter and that was largely about it, good for plugging up one end only. Warnie himself was hardly a great early on, either. He didn't even have a mildly decent record for Victoria (probably still averages 30+).

I, for one, reckon that the sky is not about to fall in and that we'll get another decent spinner take his chance. With Warnie gone and McGill unlikely to come back any time soon (if at all), the time is ripe for one bloke to step up. If I had to pick one....... it'd be too hard. :D There are a number of decent prospects. Aaron Heal would be right up there for raw talent. Dan Cullen has the raw tools too. Pick a guy out of nowhere and who knows what'll happen?

Craig

World Traveller
You're hardly the type to sit on the fence Corey :p

But raw talent is one thing, how many people in all forms of sport had raw talent but failed to live up to it for some reason, but so is peformance to some degree IMO and not just a random pick because he could be the next 'Warnie' as I feel will be a label that will dished upon some promising spinner by some hacks in the press and we become obessed with that idea.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

But raw talent is one thing, how many people in all forms of sport had raw talent but failed to live up to it for some reason, but so is peformance to some degree IMO and not just a random pick because he could be the next 'Warnie' as I feel will be a label that will dished upon some promising spinner by some hacks in the press and we become obessed with that idea.
Maybe it'll be like Lillee then; pick every spinner in the country and only when you've exhausted every option, the last guy picked will be the one. Nathan Hauritz anyone? Seems to be turning the ball more these days.....

Laurrz

International Debutant
I, for one, reckon that the sky is not about to fall in and that we'll get another decent spinner take his chance. With Warnie gone and McGill unlikely to come back any time soon (if at all), the time is ripe for one bloke to step up. If I had to pick one....... it'd be too hard. :D There are a number of decent prospects. Aaron Heal would be right up there for raw talent. Dan Cullen has the raw tools too. Pick a guy out of nowhere and who knows what'll happen?
not a fan of finger spinners tbh :mellow: :(

Top_Cat

In Aussie conditions, that's fair. But who of the wristies is doing well? I know Bryce McGain is bowling well but it may be a bit late for him.... Perhaps we haven't seen the next great spinner yet. Maybe some guy in U/17's is looking at his Warnie posters and thinking "Yeah, I could do better." I dunno, there are many options but no clear-cut favourites as yet.

Laurrz

International Debutant
In Aussie conditions, that's fair. But who of the wristies is doing well? I know Bryce McGain is bowling well but it may be a bit late for him.... Perhaps we haven't seen the next great spinner yet. Maybe some guy in U/17's is looking at his Warnie posters and thinking "Yeah, I could do better." I dunno, there are many options but no clear-cut favourites as yet.
thought doran was good but his bowling has gone down the drain recently..Casson..no... Bailey.. no..

pup11

International Coach
As Craig said having Warney and MacGill around seems to have hurt Australia's in the longer run, now as crazy as this might sound but the fact is with these two around not many young blokes gathered the courage to pick spin as their trade because they realised no matter how good they might be they may never get a chance with Warne and MacGill around!!
So now the spin options we are left with are :-
1.Daniel Cullen
2.Bryce McGain
3.Nathan Hauritz
4.Beau Casson
5.Daniel Doran
6.Cullen Bailey
7.Cameron White
8.Brad Hogg
9.Aaron Heal
10.Chris Simpson

pup11

International Coach
I don't think the young spinners in are being treated by their captains the way they should be, lot of patience is required when handling a spin bowler because rough treatment could harm a spinners growth as a bowler, so captains shouldn't be expecting instant result with these spinners.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Having Hoggy behind White on your list is a bit of an insult.

Bit like history repeating itself. Back in 1992, Australia picked Warne out of nowhere against India and he got thumped. Probably will happen again if they pick a young spinner. But maybe they will end up world-class.

Did Warne actually show any hints in 1992 against India that he would be world-class?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now he is just an idiotic personality who wants to put up a brave face and act as if nothing intimidates him, blah.. blah..., he confuses me first he says that he learns (sledging) from what he watches and then he says that what he does on the field is in his nature and that's the way he has played cricket all his life. :confused:
Anyways his ****y attitude would only do him harm against a side like Australia something that he should have already learned by now, but i guess he would need a brain for that something that the poor chap doesn't seem to have. :p
yep... I wonder if Symonds was his idol in that regard..........

iamdavid

International Debutant
Nathan Hauritz anyone? Seems to be turning the ball more these days.....
I just dont see him being a threat in the longer form of the game though, his main weapons are the changes in pace and the control, plus a willingness to throw the ball up. I just dont think he has it in him to bowl 'wicket balls' at FC level let alone to test players, the only way a test match quality batsman is going to get out to him is if he misjudges or badly mistimes an attacking shot, or does something completely stupid. He isnt going to bowl balls that turn a foot and a half and bowl someone through the gate. Cullen is a better prospect in four day cricket, but I still think he's a fair bit short of the mark atm.

One guy who has really disapointed me is Casson, because he did have that genuine ability to bowl wicket-taking deliveries, he turns the ball a mile (comparable to Warne if not MacGill purely on the amount of sidespin he imparts) and he also has a handy googly. However his control is below average by club standard, shocking by FC standard. I really held out hope it would improve as he matured but if anything he's gotten even more erratic, also dosent seem to have the best temperament.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think selectors need to pin-point two or three of the most talented young spinners available in domestic cricket atm and start preparing them for international cricket.
You can pinpoint and prepare (or try to) as much as you want, really - if the players with the ability aren't there, which they don't seem to be at present, doing that won't make the situation any better.

pup11

International Coach
You can pinpoint and prepare (or try to) as much as you want, really - if the players with the ability aren't there, which they don't seem to be at present, doing that won't make the situation any better.
Rich i never said that Australia is full of talented spinners all i am saying is said is pick the best 2 spinners out of lot that we have currently and try to help and groom them, by doing this we won't get a new Warne but atleast we can hope to find a spinner who is handy.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Happy Birthday AJIT AGARKAR. Hope your birthday brings you good luck and you will be selected to australian tour.

Top_Cat

I just dont see him being a threat in the longer form of the game though, his main weapons are the changes in pace and the control, plus a willingness to throw the ball up. I just dont think he has it in him to bowl 'wicket balls' at FC level let alone to test players, the only way a test match quality batsman is going to get out to him is if he misjudges or badly mistimes an attacking shot, or does something completely stupid. He isnt going to bowl balls that turn a foot and a half and bowl someone through the gate. Cullen is a better prospect in four day cricket, but I still think he's a fair bit short of the mark atm.
Wasn't a serious suggestion. :) And yeah, Dan Cullen is well short as yet. Still, at least he's back taking 2 and 3fers for SA. Hogg is still the best spin option in the country at the moment although maybe, considering his booming form with the bat, maybe Katich could get back into the side as an all-rounder and become the spin option. :D

Nathan Adcock took 3/30 against WA in Adelaide too. :ph34r: