• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Robinson won't play if he is still injured. Anderson will come in for him. I suspect Broad will be rested and tongue replacing him.
Surely not with 9 days' rest before Old Trafford.

And given how well he's bowled, you'd have to figure that he has another Ashes winning performance inside him following his magic spells in 2009, 2013 & 2015 and his 7 for 23 in 2019 (even if they were all against Warner). I think the Australians would be delighted to see Broad rested.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Australia can win if their opening pair and middle order gains stability.

Australian bowling attack has been superb barring Boland. The batting needs to step up now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And Crawley.
I think Crawley's done better than any of us dared hope. Apart from anything else, his track record against Cummins in this series has been terrific, which is a good thing when you're playing against Australia. Obviously I'd rather he didn't keep nicking off against Marsh's gentle outswingers.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's been released to play one game so he has some miles in his legs. Otherwise he won't have bowled for over a month ahead of the 4th test.
I don't agree with this because the philosophy this year seems to have been cotton wool (and that's ignoring that he will obviously have bowled in training). None of Starc, Boland and Cummins had bowled in a match since the end of the home season and there wasn't any plan to get them game time before the WTC final or the first test. Given the way the selections have been done this year it gives him a chance to take 2/120 and definitely not be picked, but that's all.

halba

International 12th Man
Australia can win if their opening pair and middle order gains stability.

Australian bowling attack has been superb barring Boland. The batting needs to step up now.
Also a big weakness in the spinner, no Nathan Lyon.

Gob

International Coach
I'm less critical of not using Murphy in the last game. Just don't think it was a pitch for spinners which makes it all the more hilarious that Marnus and Smith threw there wickets to Moeen

Think Australia win this

Shady Slim

International Coach
I don't agree with this because the philosophy this year seems to have been cotton wool (and that's ignoring that he will obviously have bowled in training). None of Starc, Boland and Cummins had bowled in a match since the end of the home season and there wasn't any plan to get them game time before the WTC final or the first test. Given the way the selections have been done this year it gives him a chance to take 2/120 and definitely not be picked, but that's all.
not if you tell him, nes, you're in no matter what next match for bolo so go out and get some miles in your legs and regardless of the numbers at country it's your spot

Molehill

International Captain
You need a spinner at Old Trafford, Moeen has played 3 matches there and taken 16 wickets at under 19. The loss of Lyon looking absolutely crucial if Cummins has little faith in Murphy. He has to play, but he'll be targetted.

I'm sure England will only make one change, someone to replace Robinson with Moeen batting at 3. It's a shame as it means Australia's most important player (Bairstow) keeps his place!!

I hope Marsh plays ahead of Green. If Root doesn't drop that sitter then no on would be questioning Green's return.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying Green as an opener is a bat**** insane idea imo, wouldn't even remotely contemplate it if I was a selector

Which probably means it will actually happen
I'm just furious that my predicition that Warner will be dropped for MMarsh as opener is so close but so far from coming true

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
not if you tell him, nes, you're in no matter what next match for bolo so go out and get some miles in your legs and regardless of the numbers at country it's your spot
Hazlewood is clearly anointed so they almost certainly haven't done that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England are stuck with quite a dilemma.

Foakes should come in and take the gloves - but should it be for Bairstow? I think Bairstow will benefit immensely when he loses the gloves but little room for both.

So assume he replaces Moeen instead. Then you have to rely on Root for spin duties which while not ideal, is honestly not a huge step down from Moeen. But it is a step down nonetheless and you don’t want your best batsman burdened with like 10 overs a day or something. It’s also OT as people have pointed out where you need a spinner.

The alternative is Dawson - but then you have to give up one of the quicks to accommodate Foakes. Woakes, Wood, Broad select themselves. Robinson’s dodgy atm so maybe him.

But then what about Anderson waiting in the wings? Surely you don’t leave out your best bowler after 2 bad games on flat wickets.

Personally I’d go:

Crawley
Duckett
Root (Woakes?)
Brooks
Stokes
Foakes (they’ll pick Bairstow)
Woakes
Dawson (they’ll pick Moeen)
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Otherwise **** Anderson off and play both Foakes and Bairstow.

halba

International 12th Man
Eng best xi>> will easily best Aus at old Trafford

Duckett
Crawley
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Tongue
Wood

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Neser has been released to play the next CC match for Glamorgan.

Absolutely insane hubristic selection policy. Means our only alternative to Haze is someone who's been very ineffective, and no chance of stiffening a tail that added stuff all runs in the last test.
Nah they want him to play it so he's got some overs under his belt in prep for the Test. I think it's actually a good sign for his chances.