• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
*Official* Fourth Test at Headingley Carnegie

Ooohhh yeah, getting in early - well, it starts in 5 days' time. And it's looking safer and safer by the hour to bet that the Third Test is going to be a draw. And it's exceptionally unlikely that any of those nasty Lancastrian types will want to start this. And...

So, Fourth Test. Discuss. Let's hope first and foremost that we get better luck with the weather.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Surely as a mod Mr Fire can see who edited the thread title and when (assuming he's not fibbing about it being him).

pup11

International Coach
Irrespective of what happens in the next two days of the 3rd test, this is the side I would field for the 4th test:

1.Phillip Hughes
2.Simon Katich
3.Ricky Ponting
4,Shane Watson
5.Michael Clarke
6.Mike Hussey
7.Brad Haddin
8.Mitchell Johnson
9.Nathan Hauritz
10.Brett Lee/Stuart Clark
11.Ben Hilfenhaus

Its imperative that we win or atleast give ourselves the best possible chance of winning at Headingley, and that's why I think we need to a bit of a risk when it comes to picking the playing XI..

Phil Hughes has had his fair share of problems on this tour, but still I see him as a bloke who could provide Aussie batting line-up with that bit of x-factor, which is so badly needed atm.

Pushing Hussey down to no.6 would also be worth the try, things aren't going well for him atm, but he has the ability to stabilize the innings in case of a top-order collapse, and he also can bat decently with the tail, and Watto batting at 4 will have the freedom to play his shots and be aggressive.

Would stick with Johnson for pretty similar reasons I gave for Hughes, Mitch is a match-winner, and judging by his spell yesterday evening, he seem to be slowly but surely getting into some sort of a rhythm, and persisting with him for the next test is a risk worth taking.

Would also play either Lee or Clark instead of Siddle, need some experience in the bowling attack, which either one of them could provide.

Still rate Siddle and North pretty highly, and its kind of harsh on them if they are dropped, but they really haven't done that well either to secure their places in the side, and with Ashes at stake, some ruthlessness has to be shown.

Though having said all this, won't surprise me one bit if we play with an unchanged side at Headingley.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Rumour had it yesterday that Haddin might not make the 4th Test. I haven't seen the other keeper other than in this current Test but many think he's not a number 7 so Haddin's fitness might have a bearing on the selection of the rest of the team.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Better not rain on the first day. If it does, I will cry.
Rain forecast for day 1, a bit better after that. But you need to take those sort of week-in-advance forecasts with a big pinch of salt.

What's the drainage like at Leeds?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Rain forecast for day 1, a bit better after that. But you need to take those sort of week-in-advance forecasts with a big pinch of salt.

What's the drainage like at Leeds?
Not brilliant as of now, unfortunatley. I have tickets for say one, but I that's the only day that I can go to as I'm going on holiday on the 8th.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rumour had it yesterday that Haddin might not make the 4th Test. I haven't seen the other keeper other than in this current Test but many think he's not a number 7 so Haddin's fitness might have a bearing on the selection of the rest of the team.
Has batted top 6 for SA for the last season and a bit before that I think (did reasonably well) but before that, batted 7 or 8. Definitely should not be batting at 7 in the Test side.