• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They chose their team based on the players you said are crap. Once they found out who you did not rate they selected them for the XI, as it was guaranteed they'd then do well #hilfenhaus #duncanfletcher

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Usman being the exception that proves the rule, obviously #whereishilfenhausanyway

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Not before the tour started, Lehmann had only just gotten off the phone to accept the top job, but I think the XI names have been known a fair amount of time

U19 12th Man
No, not your post at all - it was directed at the one Furball was quoting. I don't see Australia being competitive as any more important than India or Pakistan being competitive, however.

Nah, bull****. I reckon Indian fans care more about the India vs Australia and India vs England series. South African supporters probably care more about South Africa vs India than the Ashes.

Australia/England is the biggest event for Australian and English fans, and the sheer esteem it is held in by those fans means it is probably the 'biggest' series around. But that doesn't mean the entire world cares about it more than anything else. Cricket in Australia and England needs the Ashes (if Australia suddenly loses its entire cricketing culture and can't find a Test-standard XI, I can't see India/England picking up the romantic significance that draws in kids). But at the same time, the Ashes will continue to be big even if one nation is good and one is utter ****. We had no hope for much of the 1980s, but the Ashes survived. England were pathetic from 1989 through 2002/03, but the Ashes were still huge.

In terms of it being a global cultural cornerstone, I thoroughly disagree. 9 countries play Test cricket. 2 play in the Ashes. Your average cricket fan from a non-Ashes nation could not care less about the series. Not all fans of cricket are like CW posters.
You can say that, and that's great. But players over the years have suggested otherwise.

I've not suggested international fans care more about the ashes than anything else - that's absurd. But the ashes is the only series that captures global interest.

U19 12th Man
Usman being the exception that proves the rule, obviously #whereishilfenhausanyway
Hilfenhaus's back is ****ed. Robbed him of the venom and late swing he once had. The last time he was in any sort of nick was the 09 ashes. Tragic story is hilf, he was an elite talent.

U19 12th Man
I know it wasn't your overall point, but nevertheless AFL isn't "mostly" a Victorian thing. It is absolutely mammoth in WA and SA.
Not to mention Tasmania and NT

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Devoid of any factual basis at all.
Argue otherwise if you're that sure. I'm just saying what's held to be common knowledge. There are other "big" series, but the Ashes is the "biggest" and a test championship should usurp it.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
if the peoples champ doesn't get picked, #wewantsmitteh will be trending within the hour

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Argue otherwise if you're that sure. I'm just saying what's held to be common knowledge. There are other "big" series, but the Ashes is the "biggest" and a test championship should usurp it.
I don't need to as you clarified your point below.
I've not suggested international fans care more about the ashes than anything else - that's absurd. But the ashes is the only series that captures global interest.
The way you worded it before was crazy, but I understand your point now.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
would point to sold out crowds to two t20s against NZ straight after an away and a home series against that country and the champion's trophy.

would also point to the barmy army selling out test grounds in Dunedin and Wellington.

That is literally on the opposite side of the world and probably the most expensive trip possible.

England-India matches?

The tropical paradise of the West Indies?
There is no way in hell English Cricket would survive long term with no Ashes. Pretty much zero. Not with it's current standing in English sports. Cricket in England revolves more around the Ashes than Cricket in Australia does too from my experience.

I don't think Australia in England was ever a joke. For me the Ashes is Australia in England and is always special.
The 2001 Ashes was a bit of a joke really.

Anyway, back on topic. We're only hours away from the start of the biggest mistake in Test Cricket history. I may watch a few of hours for the 1st day. It's like a car crash I guess, you just can't look away!