• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Will all end up with a horrible compromise where the clubs involved are all immune from relegation and get 90% of the tv revenue dpmestically and the super league will be played mid-week. Disgusting really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Plastic soccerball fans from Yankieland who have had a lifelong affection for the Stamford Blues will be loving it.
Hmm, maybe, but the timing of this is pretty opportunistic isn't it. I'd like to think if Liverpool or United had a home game tomorrow that enough fuss would be made by the fans to embarrass the owners.

I don't have a problem with the concept of breaking away from corrupt and rotten organisations like UEFA, but to me that feels like more of a byproduct than a goal of what they are trying to achieve here.

I am always saying that twitter is not reflective of normality; angry voices shout the loudest, it's far more left-leaning etc. That being said you can still find contrary views easily enough. I am not saying they aren't out there but I am yet to see a single mention of this super league that isn't completely against it.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I wonder what they will be charging fans for tickets to this new league. If it's the " Best" league I would assume ticket prices will reflect that.
Maybe they don't care, as long as they get massive TV right's deals.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmm, maybe, but the timing of this is pretty opportunistic isn't it. I'd like to think if Liverpool or United had a home game tomorrow that enough fuss would be made by the fans to embarrass the owners.

I don't have a problem with the concept of breaking away from corrupt and rotten organisations like UEFA, but to me that feels like more of a byproduct than a goal of what they are trying to achieve here.

Yeah this is a good way of putting it I reckon.

UEFA etc. aren't doing themselves any favours with some of their responses though imo. Lot's of holier than thou "how dare they have the temerity to want to do their own thing? We won't stand for our monopoly being challenged" type responses.

I am always saying that twitter is not reflective of normality; angry voices shout the loudest, it's far more left-leaning etc. That being said you can still find contrary views easily enough. I am not saying they aren't out there but I am yet to see a single mention of this super league that isn't completely against it.
Even if you can find someone who's not against it, I'd be surprised if you could find many who would actively be for it. For me the biggest part of the appeal of most sporting competititions is their tradition and sense of significance they have built up over time. I expect the reaction of a lot of fans to being presented with a new plastic competition (that is self-evidently entirely money-driven) and being told "you must care about this now" would be "but why?".

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's not going to happen. It's just a bargaining tool to get UEFA to agree to some clubs automatically getting in the Champions League every year. They should just call their bluff and let them do it. With one trophy at stake the majority of matches will have nothing riding on them, unless the top 8 will have a knockout tournament at the end of the season.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not going to happen. It's just a bargaining tool to get UEFA to agree to some clubs automatically getting in the Champions League every year. They should just call their bluff and let them do it. With one trophy at stake the majority of matches will have nothing riding on them, unless the top 8 will have a knockout tournament at the end of the season.
It sounds like for some of the clubs it's a bargaining tool for sure, but there are some - in particular the ones with American owners - who genuinely believe in the idea for its own sake.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd actually be surprised if it doesn't go ahead now. Everything known thus far suggests to me that all sorts of contracts have been signed behind closed doors already, and the announcement has only now (very tactically) been made because those involved know they have already won the battle.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd actually be surprised if it doesn't go ahead now. Everything known thus far suggests to me that all sorts of contracts have been signed behind closed doors already, and the announcement has only now (very tactically) been made because those involved know they have already won the battle.
Athletic are reporting that nothing legally binding has been signed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bradford V Tranmere live on ifollow tomorrow night, only a tenner in the UK, fiver if you're elsewhere. Just thought I'd get in there early for those of you seeking a new team to watch :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure if legit but it's doing the rounds on twitter that Mourinho refused to take training in protest at the Super League stuff, so they fired him.

I mean, even if true, I guess it's a smart play from Mourinho because his time was surely limited anyway. But still, fair play if true.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if legit but it's doing the rounds on twitter that Mourinho refused to take training in protest at the Super League stuff, so they fired him.

I mean, even if true, I guess it's a smart play from Mourinho because his time was surely limited anyway. But still, fair play if true.
Pretty sure this was fake news, the tweet that got the most attention was from a fake journo account.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There is an awful lot of takes in the media at the moment about the proposed league being anti-sport which I find very strange. Anti-football, perhaps, but it's pretty much the only professional sport that doesn't already run on a closed shop franchise model in most places. It is the sort of thing you write if you think sport = football though, I suppose.