• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Chelsea are favourites because they don't have defensive issues that I can see, unless something major has happened that I don't know about (been away from the world of footie for a couple of weeks tbf, relying mainly on CW for news).

They have the resources to fix any problems, and also have a marginally better squad.
Disagree on all counts really. They struggled with just Terry and Cech missing last season while United had games where all four first choice were out and we still managed to win albeit conceding but Chelsea didn't have the offensive strength to do that. Don't really think Pizarro will light it up and Sidwell's gonna make the numbers for most of the season. Malouda though is quality and if they sign some decent backup for Terry then maybe .

Fiery

Banned
Ryan Nelsen has just signed a new deal with Blackburn which officially makes him the highest paid sportsman in NZ.
I don't get to see much of the Premiership these days. I would like to hear some British or overseas opinions. How good is he?

Craig

World Traveller
Did a tremendous job with Getafe but Bernd’s CV isn’t that startling. Schuster’s never won a trophy or indeed achieved much success outside of Getafe, with his side’s style of play being traditionally not the most attractive (win at all cost and when in doubt foul) and polar opposite to what the Real Madrid fans expect. But if Schuster can maintain the new sense togetherness at the club he should do ‘ok’.

Although, he was not so happy with the signing of Chris Metzelder (does not rate him), so it will be interesting to see how he copes with the heavy-handed involvement of Calderon/Mijatović (with decent odds being offered that he will be gone before Christmas).
Why would anybody want to manage that club? :blink:

R_D

International Debutant
Disagree on all counts really. They struggled with just Terry and Cech missing last season while United had games where all four first choice were out and we still managed to win albeit conceding but Chelsea didn't have the offensive strength to do that. Don't really think Pizarro will light it up and Sidwell's gonna make the numbers for most of the season. Malouda though is quality and if they sign some decent backup for Terry then maybe .
Chelsea signing Tal Ben-Haim and Alex likely to join Chelsea. They should have pretty good defensive backup. Wouldn't have to play Essein and further comprimise their midfield. There attack still doesn't look that good thou unless Sheva settles this season and starts finding his form again.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ryan Nelsen has just signed a new deal with Blackburn which officially makes him the highest paid sportsman in NZ.
I don't get to see much of the Premiership these days. I would like to hear some British or overseas opinions. How good is he?
Awesome but woefully underrated (presumably due to the club he plays for :sleep: ). Ryan has easily been Rovers best defender since Colin Hendry and it was no surprise to see the defence improve ten fold when Ryan returned from injury last year. His not the quickest but his positional sense, aerial ability and command over the back four is magnificent. Top pro to boot as well and its great to see he wants to finish his career with Blackburn. :)

Fiery

Banned
Awesome but woefully underrated (presumably due to the club he plays for :sleep: ). Ryan has easily been Rovers best defender since Colin Hendry and it was no surprise to see the defence improve ten fold when Ryan returned from injury last year. His not the quickest but his positional sense, aerial ability and command over the back four is magnificent. Top pro to boot as well and its great to see he wants to finish his career with Blackburn. :)
Thanks mate :). He's done the country proud that's sure for

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Chelsea signing Tal Ben-Haim and Alex likely to join Chelsea. They should have pretty good defensive backup. Wouldn't have to play Essein and further comprimise their midfield. There attack still doesn't look that good thou unless Sheva settles this season and starts finding his form again.
Indeed, having the likes of Alex in waiting is a scary proposition and it’s a good coup with him costing 50p and all. :D Be great to see Essien back in the heart of midfield once more as well, was easily one of the best players in the Premiership last year no matter where he figured.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why would anybody want to manage that club? :blink:
They pay well. :happy:

Funny enough if Bernd had second thoughts regarding the job at Real he would still have to pay Mr. Calderon well over £250,000 just to reject their offer for the pre-arranged deal agreed in March was that strong. Similarly Bernd would have received a cool half a million Euro's even if Madrid went with someone else.

roseboy64

yes i concur with halsey again, any young player on the books at man utd has bags of potential according to xavier...
Nah there are plenty who don't. David Bellion for instance, I had faith in him but he was never gonna be world class.

roseboy64

Agreed. He's a good one.

roseboy64

Indeed, having the likes of Alex in waiting is a scary proposition and it’s a good coup with him costing 50p and all. :D Be great to see Essien back in the heart of midfield once more as well, was easily one of the best players in the Premiership last year no matter where he figured.
Which Alex is this? I know of one who plays in Holland and another who plays in Japan. There are lots of others too. You're right though that Ben-Haim provides decent cover. Forgot about him. If Alex is a decent rightback then they could be alright defensively.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Which Alex is this? I know of one who plays in Holland and another who plays in Japan. There are lots of others too. You're right though that Ben-Haim provides decent cover. Forgot about him. If Alex is a decent rightback then they could be alright defensively.
Holland.

Chelsea undeniably have excellent cover defensively this season, I agree to an extent that the strength of their squad last season was overrated, however the summer signings should sort that out.

I do think Chelsea are favourites only marginally however, as the area of biggest concern for me with our squad has also been sorted, as me and Sledge were debating earlier on in this thread.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No IMO. Still got another year or so left in him.
Last couple of months of last season suggest otherwise tbh, given his age. Definitely no longer an excellent 'keeper, may just be just about passable by current Prem 'keeping standards, which IMO are nothing like they were in the 90s.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dave Nugent has gone to Portsmouth for 6m.
Michael Chopra is going to Sunderland for 5m.

roseboy64

Last couple of months of last season suggest otherwise tbh, given his age. Definitely no longer an excellent 'keeper, may just be just about passable by current Prem 'keeping standards, which IMO are nothing like they were in the 90s.
I find it laughable that just because a veteran is off for the section of a long gruelling campaign he's no longer considered excellent. I think he's till good but probably can't play as many games as he used to which was the reason for his poor performances IMO. After next season I think he should go to a midtable team where he'll have to contend with less than 45 games or so a season. Not that he's not excellent but he can't handle the amount of games a top four team plays per season.