• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
sledger said:
i dont how what you said had anything to do with scouting or not or suchlike.
It'd be clearly obvious that at present it'd more viable to hire more scouts than back when Fergie started out with Man Utd. Also, a lot easier to move them around. Another factor is that the game has become more publicised than back in the day.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He'd surely have been able to beat a Man Utd team in decline if he was a better manager. If Middlesbrough can do it then surely Arsenal can.
if arsenal can reach teh champions league semi finals then surely man utd can?....no....

you see comparing the results of sides like that is meaningless and pointless, once again proves nothing, that is not how you judge a side. Anyway again nobody said the team was in decline, it was the management of ferguson that was under scrutiny. Results like that do not show who is the better manager, for instance, last year man utd were incapable of beating exeter at oldtrafford, does that mean ferguson is inferior to managers in the lower lower leagues? evidently not.

roseboy64

Arsenal have only reached the semis this season. Their inability to beat a declining Man Utd team when Arsenal are the "better" team says something. They did beat them eventually, when they didn't play a side full of youth players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It'd be clearly obvious that at present it'd more viable to hire more scouts than back when Fergie started out with Man Utd. Also, a lot easier to move them around. Another factor is that the game has become more publicised than back in the day.
im afraid that is rubbish, back in the day.... sorry? i dont know to what extent your knowledge of the english press is, but i would be willing to bet its not massive. And wengers best buys of that nature.....were almost 8 to 7 years ago now....which was back in the day ? :p

roseboy64

sledger said:
im afraid that is rubbish, back in the day.... sorry? i dont know to what extent your knowledge of the english press is, but i would be willing to bet its not massive. And wengers best buys of that nature.....were almost 8 to 7 years ago now....which was back in the day ? :p
There was a lot of improvement between 1985/6 and 1995/6. I didn't mention anything about the English press btw.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
You'd have to consider the time period (70s,80s,etc) before making such a statement and also how long it took to make Man Utd a force.
Not to mention the money he had to spend of course...

And please explain how come for one bloke it's his credit that the players have come in, yet the other one gets no credit because of his scouts?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal have only reached the semis this season. Their inability to beat a declining Man Utd team when Arsenal are the "better" team says something. They did beat them eventually, when they didn't play a side full of youth players.
again....the quality of the teams doesnt come into the argument xavier, you miss the point. Nobody has mentioned the teams, only the sucess and ability of the manager, an individual result proves nothing in regards to the ability of a manager. As for them beating them eventually, im sure arsenal will eventually beat man utd once more....will that prove wenger is better than ferguson? no, no result will ever prove that, nothing will ever prove that, or vice versa.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Wenger is a good manager but Fergie's better. Even now he's still better. Arsenal haven't beaten Man Utd in at least three seasons if I'm not mistaken.
Yet over the course of the last 2 completed seasons how many times has Ferguson come out on top?

roseboy64

marc71178 said:
Not to mention the money he had to spend of course...

And please explain how come for one bloke it's his credit that the players have come in, yet the other one gets no credit because of his scouts?
It's the assumption that Ferguson had to do more trial and error and therefore took longer and had more to do than Wenger due to the improvements in finances and technology.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
It'd be clearly obvious that at present it'd more viable to hire more scouts than back when Fergie started out with Man Utd.
But by the same token, the money spent by Ferguson on these signings is far in excess of that Wenger has spent.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's the assumption that Ferguson had to do more trial and error and therefore took longer and had more to do than Wenger due to the improvements in finances and technology.
finances which man utd always had more of....? and in actual fact wenger had knowledge of vieira, petit, anelka, henry and ljungberg prior to any of his scouts as it happens.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Since when has that been an assumption? I'll wager about 5 minutes.

Scouts aren't a new invention.

And I assume Wnger insisting that a lad called Vieira was signed before he agreed a contract was the scouts doing as well?

roseboy64

marc71178 said:
But by the same token, the money spent by Ferguson on these signings is far in excess of that Wenger has spent.
A lot less certainty about a player's skills then I'd think. I'd hardly expect a scout to watch a player has often now than would be the custom then.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes interestingly in 2001 man utd spent over £100m on 3 players, arsenal didnt spent as much as that assembling their entire squad, then arsenal ran out comfortable winners of the premiership.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A lot less certainty about a player's skills then I'd think. I'd hardly expect a scout to watch a player has often now than would be the custom then.
funny then how the majority of man utds bulk spending has come in the more recent years since wenger has been at arsenal as well.