• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2007

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
And yet another 100 for Ramprakash today.
Nice to see even in this rain ruined summer some things never change. How many is that he's got in his career? The last to 100 hunderds? Spare a thought for SL A btw - these A team tours are meant to give players experience of overseas conditions but all SL's 2nd string can be learning is how to spend time in the dressing room when it is raining!:laugh:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
The appeal against the Worcestershire v Kent game being replayed has been upheld.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2007/content/current/story/303751.html

That is an absolute disgrace. I cannot believe that the ECB aren't even giving Kent 9 points instead of the 4 we got for a 'draw', when we could potentially have got maximum points against a Worcestershire side that have been nothing short of poor all season. This is typically spineless fence-sitting from the ECB. I hope Worcestershire suffer some form of ramification for this whole fiasco, as they, and in particular Mark Newton appear to have got off without any form of punishment for their appalling lack of sportsmanship. Surely Kent have to take this further - leaving the situation like this sets a dangerous precedent in itself. Are counties now just going to be allowed to decide that they don't feel like playing and forfeit the match, so that 4 points are awarded to each team? It's a complete joke.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I hope Worcestershire suffer some form of ramification for this whole fiasco, as they, and in particular Mark Newton appear to have got off without any form of punishment for their appalling lack of sportsmanship.
....apart from having half a season's worth of income taken away from them by the weather.

chris.hinton

International Captain
We(Worcestershire) could go under. Yes we should have played the game at kent but we tried hard for it to be at new road. Mark Newton has done nothing wrong, Typical Kent Supporters thinking of themselves.

At Least Warwickshire have been helpful, i suppose that many team want worcester to go under

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
So Worcestershire have been badly affected by the weather, and that gives them an excuse to thumb their nose at good sportsmanship and screw other teams over? Kent offered Beckenham as an alternate venue, they could have played at Kidderminster, but Worcestershire insisted that the game was played at New Road on the off-chance that they might be able to play the televised Pro40 game there, which was subsequently cancelled as well, as the ground never had a realistic chance of being fit for play even by then.

Newton showed a blatant disregard for Kent and for the County Championship - of course people don't want Worcestershire to go under, but it makes it hard to be sympathetic when they behave so poorly. Chris, you say that Kent supporters (meaning me, of course) are only thinking of themselves, and you mean to tell me that Worcestershire weren't thinking of themselves when they intentionally held the match at New Road, even though they knew there was no chance of play? Of course teams are going to look out for themselves, but they shouldn't do it to the detriment of others like Worcestershire did.

As for Warwickshire, the only reason they and all the other sides are against the replay of the fixture and Kent being awarded extra points is because that would jeopardise their own position in the Championship. They're all looking out for number 1 as well.

Anyway, the ECB is allocating £250,000 to cricket clubs affected by the floods - I imagine thata large chunk of that will go to Worcestershire, and along with all the press coverage and attention they've got over the last month, I doubt they'll have any chance surviving. However, if Kent are relegated from Division 1 as a direct result of being unable to compete for points in a game that could have been played in sunshine if it wasn't for it being held at a completely unfit ground, I bet they won't be offered any form of compensation for the resultant financial losses.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Indeed and he bowls at a reasonably decent lick considering it.

Don't know why Kyle Hogg is so universally disliked, his record in one day cricket is decent and combined with his batting and fielding his a darn sight better option to Lancashire than the likes of Sajid Mahmood, who can not be trusted with new or old ball.
Now i'm by no means a Sajid Mahmood fan, but you must be insanse to think Kyle Hogg is worth more to Lancashire than Saj is.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Wahey, the Lost County of Atlantis will be playing their Pro40 match v Lancs at the CG in Taunton on 25th August :D Nice one!

Talking of Lancs, Somerset 2XI got a home draw v Lancs 2XI in the 2XI trophy semi final on August 6th. The Lancs team could well feature a returning Andrew Flintoff...

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
=Anna;1278628

Talking of Lancs, Somerset 2XI got a home draw v Lancs 2XI in the 2XI trophy semi final on August 6th. The Lancs team could well feature a returning Andrew Flintoff...
I'm sure Somerset's 2X1 bowlers will be licking their lips at the prospect...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ottis Gibson was clocked on Sky tonight bowling at 89mph (and repeatedly 85mph plus), that's impressive for a 38 year old. Don't think he was that quick when the South Africans tucked into him eight years ago at Cape Town.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Impressive, I got to the cricket club just as Mustard got out... terrific...

Durham still incredibly embarrassing against decent spin bowling when they're supposed to go after it. Fortunately Dalrymple's 3rd over was one of the worst I've ever seen, he was lucky every delivery didn't get slapped for 4.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Impressive, I got to the cricket club just as Mustard got out... terrific...

Durham still incredibly embarrassing against decent spin bowling when they're supposed to go after it. Fortunately Dalrymple's 3rd over was one of the worst I've ever seen, he was lucky every delivery didn't get slapped for 4.
You can see why Moores dumped him from the England squad as fast as was possible. Shocking to think he would probably be still there if Fletcher was in charge :mellow:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ottis Gibson was clocked on Sky tonight bowling at 89mph (and repeatedly 85mph plus), that's impressive for a 38 year old. Don't think he was that quick when the South Africans tucked into him eight years ago at Cape Town.
Haha, maybe he should put his coaching plans on hold for a while - he seems to be entering him prime... at 38.... as a fast bowler.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anybody know much about Neil Dexter? He looks to have had a pretty good start to his FC career for Kent, another promising batsmen in their side.

93 FC centuries for Ramprakash, he should get to 100 by the end of the next season, if he chooses to play.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
The appeal against the Worcestershire v Kent game being replayed has been upheld.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2007/content/current/story/303751.html

That is an absolute disgrace. I cannot believe that the ECB aren't even giving Kent 9 points instead of the 4 we got for a 'draw', when we could potentially have got maximum points against a Worcestershire side that have been nothing short of poor all season. This is typically spineless fence-sitting from the ECB. I hope Worcestershire suffer some form of ramification for this whole fiasco, as they, and in particular Mark Newton appear to have got off without any form of punishment for their appalling lack of sportsmanship. Surely Kent have to take this further - leaving the situation like this sets a dangerous precedent in itself. Are counties now just going to be allowed to decide that they don't feel like playing and forfeit the match, so that 4 points are awarded to each team? It's a complete joke.
And what if Kent go down, by say, 4 points? I don't think we've heard the last of this and one hopes it does not turn into cricket's version of the "Tevez affair". There was someone on Sky TV from Lancashire saying it was no diferent from the Worcs v Lancs game that was abandoned but it was different in that before the Lancs game the ECB inspected New Road and said it was ready to play - then they got more rain. That's bad luck. At the time I was amazed that Worcs said they would try to play the Kent game there and the ECB should have inspected New Road before the Kent game and if they thought it was unfit (as surely they would have) ordered them to play at Kiddy. I suspect Worcs knew they were going down anyway which is why they concentrated on getting New Road ready for the floodlit Pro 40 game. One hope Kent don't go down because of this...And a thought. If the pitch was unfit they would have got deducted points. As the ground was unfit, shouldn't that still apply?

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
All that, considering that Kent average like 7 points away from home or something.
That's because Kent have been playing good sides away from home. Worcestershire are crap. Teams have gone to New Road and taken an average of 16 points from them this season. Kent get 4.