• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England vs Pakistan, NatWest Challenge Thread

Rich2001

International Captain
England vs Pakistan

What a attacking start to the series, after 15 Overs England have already got 96 on the board however 3 wickets down.

Solanki looked in great touch before one that kept low and Vaughan started slow before a 4/6/4 to get him started and looks in great touch, even though Sami had him plum LBW.

While iam talking Sami, his been expensive but looked very good as well at the same time and bowled a peach of a delivery to remove Tresco, while getting up into the mid 90's as well... He should casue a real problem to the county batsman when he arrives at Kent :)

Comment of the day so far goes to - "Jim Troughton we can see why his been picked for this side, his ablity to - Oh he's out!"

Match Latest - Drinks (18 Overs) 104/3 (Vaughan 27* & A Flintoff 7*)

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Why wasn't Vaughan given out the jammy bastard??
In Australia last summer he was given the benefit of the doubt when he refused to walk when clearly caught by Langer.......he went on to make 174.
Gotta be the luckiest batsman this side of Nasser Hussain.......

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
In Australia last summer he was given the benefit of the doubt when he refused to walk when clearly caught by Langer.......he went on to make 174.
Heh!

Probably because Shep's not got the benefit of 7 slow motion action replays.

My first thought was that it was plumb, too, and I was surprised when the telestrator indicated a marginal clip on the leg peg. Maybe you get a better indication of seam/swing from pitch level.

Anyway, it didn't make a lot of difference (169-8 now). I'm still trying to work out Read and Clarke's choices of shot (and as for Giles' running.....)

Rich2001

International Captain
Kenny said:
If the Umpire can't give out a LBW which was a yorker on middle/leg then how is Vaughan lucky? I would be complaining about the Umpire.

Nasser + Luck - I recall Nasser going through two years of cricket getting every poor decision in the book, the guy couldn't have bought any luck during that period.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
My first thought was that it was plumb, too, and I was surprised when the telestrator indicated a marginal clip on the leg peg. Maybe you get a better indication of seam/swing from pitch level.
??? LE Hakweye showed it hit right between the middle and legstump... I do however recall the clip on the leg stump, but can't remember who the batsman was, was that Vaughan as well?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
??? LE Hakweye showed it hit right between the middle and legstump... I do however recall the clip on the leg stump, but can't remember who the batsman was, was that Vaughan as well?
Yes. I don't recall seeing the other one, so everyone accept my apologies (I did nip out for about 10 minutes).

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I'm still trying to work out Read and Clarke's choices of shot (and as for Giles' running.....)
Read's shot wasn't to bad (other than getting out ;) ) he played the slog sweep quite well and even with the slight top edge he was taken right on the ropes... had he conneted slighty better it would have been out the ground.

Clarke well who knows what was running through his head, getting everything outside off and showing all three stumps to the bowler :rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, tell me one good thing about McGrath's shot.

The point I was making about Read is that it was a PREMEDITATED slog-sweep, Clarke's was a mental aberration, but IMO McGrath's was the worst shot selection of the lot.

Why on earth do batsmen make up their mind what they are going to do before the ball has left the bowler's hand?

The reverse-sweep is never a clever shot to play at the best of times - I hate it, you seem to get out 1 in 3 times or worse.

Crazy.

Saying that, Pakistan's captaincy is absolutely outstanding.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
If the Umpire can't give out a LBW which was a yorker on middle/leg then how is Vaughan lucky? I would be complaining about the Umpire.

Nasser + Luck - I recall Nasser going through two years of cricket getting every poor decision in the book, the guy couldn't have bought any luck during that period.
Quite often when I've batted I've been given not out to deliveries I thought would miss the stumps, but also I've been given not out to ones I thought were pretty straight. The trouble is, being tall, if the ball passes below my eyeline then I really don't have much of a clue what it does afterwards, weather it would be out or not. I never walk if it's LBW simply because the umpire has a better idea if what the ball does and where it will hit than I ever will. It's not nice when the umpire gives you out to balls pitching outside the stumps or that you edged or caught behinds that you know you didn't touch, but then that's the game.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Why on earth do batsmen make up their mind what they are going to do before the ball has left the bowler's hand?
Because:

Sometimes you notice a gap and attempt to hit the ball into it

OR

The ball is doing so much you just try and defend it whatever

OR

The bowler is very very fast and you can't see the ball so you just pick a shot and hope

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well innings complete at 204-9. Here's a quick run through of my thoughts (I'll try and keep it brief):

- England got off to a flyer and were 45-0 after 6 but after changing ends Sami bowled a top over, a wicket maiden in which he dismissed Trescothick with some very good bowling.

- Solanki looked quite good but rode his luck a little (this was the lbw which was clipping leg though I thought he was out, and he was dropped off a difficult return chance to Hafeez). Still showed some promise and looks a different player.

- Troughton played a good shot but before he got going fell to a good ball from Gul so I'll have to wait to make a better judgment.

- Vaughan should have been lbw to Sami (he was plumb to a full yorker and I can only assume the umpire (Hair?) thought there was an inside edge), but didn't make use of the lifeline, getting out to a poor shot. I thought it was irresponsible as captain to expose two debutants inside the first 20 overs, especially as after the flying we didn't need to take risks, just build a platform.

- Flintoff played with responsibility but after an assured partnership with McGrath he threw it away again. You could see he was disappointed (rightly so). To be fair the hot was on just didn't get it right and again this left the tail exposed. :(

- Clarke, well didn't have a clue quite honestly. Schoolboy shot from a supposed batting allrounder. If that's what his batting is like I can't (or should that be can) wait to see his bowling! I mean with all due respect Shoaib Malik is not a world class bowler.

- Chris Read disappointed me. He and McGrath should have looked to push it around for three or four an over and get us up to 220, instead he holed out. Needs to do better than that, though it's unfair to expect him to replace Alec Stewart batting wise.

- Giles showed more maturity and discipline than most but stupid run out.

- McGrath again played well a guided us through that tough period just as we could have been all out 170-180, but again just a soft dismissal. Why reverse sweep?

- Gough showed a rare maturity, which was nice because usually he gets a rush of blood quite quickly but he and Anderson did the best they could.

- As for Pakistan, well Latif good captaincy. Interesting he brought Hafeez on in the sixth over rather than Gul or Razzaq but most of what he did came off really well and Pakistan fielded well generally, although they missed two or three chances and there were a couple of poor misfields. Good direct hit from Sami to run out Giles.

- I thought Sami bowled really well although he was expensive (10-2-52-1). I didn't realise he was that fast, and got up to 96mph+ (~154k) for the yorker to Vaughan. Definitely impressed with him.

- Mahmood bowled well but surprisingly wasn't bowled out, probably because England committed suicide against the other bowlers!

- Gul bowled a crap first ball but got Troughton with a good delivery and made things happen (he got Vaughan and another one, Read?). He was expensive though.

Overall England at one stage would have been looking towards 300 but after losing the recognised and experienced batsman all they could do was bat out the overs. Most batsman were irresponsible or got out to poor/tame shots against bowlers and deliveries which shouldn't be taking wickets.

As always I've been hyper-critical but there are some points we really need to sort out. As Botham said they are young and need to learn, but they must learn quickly.

Still it should be an interesting run chase, so I'm off to watch it! :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:
Still it should be an interesting run chase, so I'm off to watch it!
:!( lucky!

Not even the gym is showing it, instead they are showing the ****e KISS channel...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm Anderson causing havoc, but at 189/7 it looks like Pak will scrape home...

Just given up on the england selectors.... although mercifully they could have done worse....

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hmm Anderson causing havoc, but at 189/7 it looks like Pak will scrape home...

Just given up on the england selectors.... although mercifully they could have done worse....
And now Gough has struck again to make it 8 down and just the two bowlers to come.

Could this be a fantastic fightback?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rich2001 said:
And now Gough has struck again to make it 8 down and just the two bowlers to come.

Could this be a fantastic fightback?
Not quite.....Pakistan win by 2 wickets with 4 balls left......good fight from 2 under-strength teams....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
A bad loss, could and should have been by a much larger margin. Too many batsmen threw their wickets away and Anderson got smashed around at the beginning before redeeming himself at the end. That's the problem with Jimmy, he's attacking but quite often reduces the pressure by letting the oppo get off to a flyer. Where's the young tyro who took 1-12 off 10 against Australia? Oh well, better next time please...