• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey SillyCowCorner, what do you know about this Campbell guy? I've liked what I've seen of him so far.
He's been in the runs for the past few seasons. Knocking at the door. Every time Kieran Powell fails with the bat, his name came up.

I have to be honest though. Prior to this test series, this is the first time I've seen him bat.
For a long time now, Jamaica has been known to produce good opening batsmen. Sabina Park is our Perth

Slifer

International Captain
The almosts and not quites are all very well, but WI had claimed four wickets at this stage of the innings. With the new ball seen off, WI should be able to build a substantial lead tomorrow. Not really the bowlers' fault; our abysmal batting means we're not going to win much in the foreseeable future. The Saffer looking forward to our boys heading their way next winter isn't a bad judge. It's been a while since anyone was comprehensively outplayed by the WI; quite an achievement by this bunch. Apologies for the stuck record routine, but I fail to see how anyone can be anything other than disgusted by deterioration in the standard of cricketers produced by our domestic game over the last 10 years. Maybe being thrashed by the WI and subsequently walloped at home to Australia might focus a few minds, but it's unlikely, isn't it.
Dude relax. This match and series are far from over.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why is Cricinfo saying that England lost a review? I thought you didn't lose one if a no ball was spotted that wasn't initially picked up, feels like you're being punished for the umpire's ineptitude otherwise.

SillyCowCorner1

Why is Cricinfo saying that England lost a review? I thought you didn't lose one if a no ball was spotted that wasn't initially picked up, feels like you're being punished for the umpire's ineptitude otherwise.
Them's the rules bannah:

Over 18: West Indies 24/0 - England waste a review
16:22
Big lbw shout from Curran as he gets one to swing back in to Brathwaite and pin his front pad, but the umpire isn't interested. Joe Root is, going upstairs to review, but Curran has overstepped, so the review is wasted.

Ball-tracker suggests that it would have been missing anyway.
https://www.icc-cricket.com/match/9225#scorecard

Bijed

International Regular
Cricinfo initially had England as keeping the review (in commentary, the scorecard showed us having lost one). Cricbuzz and the BBC (and the ICC it would seem) were all saying we'd lost the review, then cricinfo changed to say the same. So I'm guessing there's no real reason for it and it's just a mistake? If that is the case, and someone points it out to the umpires, can we get the review back?

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Yes, but Spark's saying you don't lose a review because the bowler's overstepped, which is a precedent that has been set multiple other times. Why has this apparently changed bannah?
Cricinfo initially had England as keeping the review (in commentary, the scorecard showed us having lost one). Cricbuzz and the BBC (and the ICC it would seem) were all saying we'd lost the review, then cricinfo changed to say the same. So I'm guessing there's no real reason for it and it's just a mistake? If that is the case, and someone points it out to the umpires, can we get the review back?
Oh yeah bannahs. Upon inspection of the rules, I have found the exact section and sub-section that clearly states that the limit set (2 in this case) of reviews doesn't change becuase of a no-ball.

3.6.6 Where, following a request for a Player Review, the original on-field decision of Not out is unchanged on
account of the delivery being a No ball (for any reason), thereby not requiring any further evaluation, the
Player Review shall not be counted as ‘Unsuccessful’ and accordingly shall not count towards the innings
limit set out in paragraph 3.6.1.
https://www.icc-cricket.com/about/cricket/rules-and-regulations/decision-review-system

All the websites covering this game have screwed up; majorly.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies better win this match, because there's a better-than-even chance Holder will be missing the next due to the abysmal over rate.

Borges

International Regular
Woo! What happened in the 21 overs that the West Indies openers faced?
Did the pitch become more and more benign as the day progressed? Didn't England bowl well? Did the West Indies openers play exquisitely? Was it a combination of all these?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When Gabriel operates things come to a standstill. He bowled one over at the start of play which seemed to take 5+ minutes and it was a maiden.

SillyCowCorner1

Did the pitch become more and more benign as the day progressed? Didn't England bowl well? Did the West Indies openers play exquisitely? Was it a combination of all these?
It was old school cricket. Both batsmen were watchful and defensive. A lot of balls passed the outside edge, especially off Campbell's edge.
Stuart Broad looked the most threatening.

It was exceptional batting by the Windies openers to see off a bowling duo that has over 1000 test wickets.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Seemed to still do plenty when Broad was bowling. Gave Campbell a good working over and was surprised when I turned my stream off after 6 or so overs he was still there at the close.