• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But was the first guy trying to catch it or did he deliberately tip it over to the next in line?
It looked like he had no chance of catching. And from what it looked like, he was aware of his surroundings. Two things may have ran into his mind:

i- try to lob it up so that he can take a rebound catch
ii- try to keep it up in the air so that others around can swoop in to grab the ball. Hope was quick to pounce...

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the highlights. I don't know who decided to play Dancing Queen over the PA on Curran's dismissal but they should be given a medal for it.

Borges

International Regular
Yes, one of those you would rather happen to your number 10 or 11 rather than your gun bat!
No sympathy for Root; he already had had his fair share of luck for one innings. Played an airy-fairy shot to the second ball that he faced, and was quite lucky that it didn't carry.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Interesting day. I think we bowled pretty well apart from a couple of spells from Gabriel and Joseph. Braithwaite and Campbell surviving that evening spell against a pumped up Broad was really inspiring and gives me more hope than anything else.

Not the best of pitches but it made for an interesting day at least. Overall I think England got about par, I'm very worried about getting on this pitch.
Before each series you are always so full of optimism and talking up the chances of your younger players. Then as soon as it starts you turn into a bag of nerves and think the worst! Looool

Woodster

International Captain
No sympathy for Root; he already had had his fair share of luck for one innings. Played an airy-fairy shot to the second ball that he faced, and was quite lucky that it didn't carry.
It was a cut shot he just about got on top of enough, not sure that warranted a delivery such as the one that dismissed him as retribution!

I wasn't searching for any sympathy on his behalf, it was just an unplayable delivery, fortune for the bowler and a completely unlucky dismissal for the batsman. That's cricket!

Tom Flint

International Regular
It looked like he had no chance of catching. And from what it looked like, he was aware of his surroundings. Two things may have ran into his mind:

i- try to lob it up so that he can take a rebound catch
ii- try to keep it up in the air so that others around can swoop in to grab the ball. Hope was quick to pounce...
I think he tried to catch it himself and it bounced out. He closed his hand to catch it just as it touched him.
Given he got there and the ball was looping down to him rather than fired at him I think he would feel he should have caught it.
Running backwards always difficult mind being so unbalanced.

Borges

International Regular
Over a number of recent innings, it is probably fair to say that that Root hasn't been particularly lucky.

Borges

International Regular
Stuart Broad: "I’ve seen seam movement disappear when a pitch dries out but I’ve never seen uneven bounce disappear. ... Rather than looking to swing it we’ll probably look to bowl wobble seam. That helps with slightly uneven bounce. You can bowl a line that’s hitting off stump all the time without batsman being able to rotate the strike and take pressure off themselves."

andmark

International Captain
Tbf joe did get a bit of luck in Barbados being caught off a no ball
In fairness, bowling a no-ball is a problem of a bowler's skill, and so they should be getting it right. Needless to say it's impossible to know what the bowl would've been like if it had been legitimate.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stuart Broad: "I’ve seen seam movement disappear when a pitch dries out but I’ve never seen uneven bounce disappear. ... Rather than looking to swing it we’ll probably look to bowl wobble seam. That helps with slightly uneven bounce. You can bowl a line that’s hitting off stump all the time without batsman being able to rotate the strike and take pressure off themselves."
It was interesting listening to Alastair Cook on the radio this morning. He felt that the uneven bounce during the first session and a bit had all but disappeared by the final session. He also thought that the uneven bounce was so difficult during the first session that England did quite well to reach 187. Don't know whether I agree with him; he knows more about these things than me, for sure, but these are his mates playing out there too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve never seen a team so consistently drop routine catches.
Yeah, that's my major gripe. It's not so much the fault if they aren't world class batsmen or bowlers, but any professional team should be able to work on their catching.
Apparently Broad's now had 96 dropped catches off his bowling since his debut. No idea whether that's just tests or limited overs matches too.

Last edited:

ajdude

International Coach
Broad's really troubled him but he looks competent against the rest of the quicks. Fancy if Curran came on now he would tuck into him.
this is the first time i've been able to catch any of the series, he looked alright against anderson with that first boundary but broad's eating him alive